The Forbidden Fruit....

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
An inline-4 is much more expensive to produce than a twin (Kawasaki Ninja) so I doubt if it's coming here.

It's made for the Japanese market where guys are stuck at the 399 cc level because of the tiered licensing so are more than willing to pay for extra performance.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
To get back on track. I'd like to see this bike make it here to the US. Honda CB400

Kawasaki just introduced the 400 Ninja. I really think that these bikes would give it a good run for their money.
Nice looking bike! I bet it is light enough for an old man, might be ergonomically good, and I bet it will cruise at 70. The return of the UJM?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The return of the UJM?
I for one am surprised at the retro-new motorcycles. Especially with the downturn in new motorcycle sales and the older riders getting out of riding. I don't see these bikes as appealing to younger riders. I'm 45 and got into riding late, so I didn't ride the CB400s and banana-seat Kawasakis and such. I don't really dig the retro styling, especially the twin vertical shocks. I have a feeling that it's the motorcycle geeks within the manufacturers' ranks wanted to make these bikes, and got enough encouragement from a few post-boomers to justify it, but I don't think it was a great business move.

Also, the days of any kind of true "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" are gone. Asia had the 'copy' mentality long ago, but now they've bought into the west's 'innovation' and 'differentiation'.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I for one am surprised at the retro-new motorcycles. Especially with the downturn in new motorcycle sales and the older riders getting out of riding. I don't see these bikes as appealing to younger riders. I'm 45 and got into riding late, so I didn't ride the CB400s and banana-seat Kawasakis and such. I don't really dig the retro styling, especially the twin vertical shocks. I have a feeling that it's the motorcycle geeks within the manufacturers' ranks wanted to make these bikes, and got enough encouragement from a few post-boomers to justify it, but I don't think it was a great business move.

Also, the days of any kind of true "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" are gone. Asia had the 'copy' mentality long ago, but now they've bought into the west's 'innovation' and 'differentiation'.
I am certainly surprised by the length of time the retro bikes have lasted and indeed are continuing to stay and new ones to be introduced. When the CB1100 came out, 10,000 old guys like me sat on one and remembered our youth. One old guy from this forum actually bought one! ;) Yet there they still are, updated a bit and still in the show rooms. And Royal Enfield India still does a fair bit of sales outside of India due to nostalgia.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Just a SWAG but the "retro thing" started in Japan many decades ago and that look was extended to other markets with bigger bikes, mostly as a trial balloon to see if it took off.

Younger (born during the Viet Nam war) people coming into motorcycling for the first time, are probably completely oblivious to the eras of sleek sport bikes and brawny ADV bikes. To them, what we old geezers call "retro" is just a normal motorcycle. :)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
The Royal Enfield Himalayan is getting quite good reviews now they've sorted out the original "teething troubles". She has a 400cc, long stroke engine which is great for the roads in India and other countries, like the UK :tongue: , where the road infrastructure is not good.

Top speed is a tad over 70 mph, she'll hit 80 on a downhill. But, remember, she's not built for speed but for a "mixed road environment" as found in India, parts of Asia and Africa. She's got good carrying capacity as well. An ABS version is now available.

Some of the reviewers think the engine is better than the 500cc in the Bullet.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The Royal Enfield Himalayan is getting quite good reviews now they've sorted out the original "teething troubles". She has a 400cc, long stroke engine which is great for the roads in India and other countries, like the UK :tongue: , where the road infrastructure is not good.

Top speed is a tad over 70 mph, she'll hit 80 on a downhill. But, remember, she's not built for speed but for a "mixed road environment" as found in India, parts of Asia and Africa. She's got good carrying capacity as well. An ABS version is now available.

Some of the reviewers think the engine is better than the 500cc in the Bullet.
Hey, thanks JQL....very interesting bike design. I think you are very correct. If you are happy cruising at 90 klicks/hr. , like in India, this bike cant be ignored. I will tell my very good RE fan friend who has two Bullets about it...I like the real luggage rack and luggage tie points....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx7qTKhWycQ

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
If you're over 180 lb the seat isn't as comfortable for long runs. But, under that, and it's great according to the reviews I've seen.

I just need to lose about 20 lbs...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If you're over 180 lb the seat isn't as comfortable for long runs. But, under that, and it's great according to the reviews I've seen.

I just need to lose about 20 lbs...
I am 155.4 lb but I need some more cruise speed, me thinks.....I do love those rubber gaiters....

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Manufacturers build what they think people will buy. A younger than I am guy at work got himself a Street Scrambler because he liked the look. As a kid I could buy a brand new bike with just a part time job. In my view that is what is keeping the younger folks away. Simply affordability.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
But the high prices compared to stagnant wages effects everything, not just motorcycles.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Our fuel tax is not indexed to inflation but does usually increase annually. However this tax revenue is not pumped back into the maintenance and improvement of the road infrastructure, resulting in a steady decline in the state of our roads. I would certainly say that they are now at a level which is causing an increase in the volume of accidents.

It seems a high proportion of tax revenue is diverted to our welfare system which is currently at a level that makes it pointless for people to take jobs paid at the minimum rate when they can receive more sitting on their lazy butts in front of the TV all day. But that's a whole different kettle of fish which would take me a long time to vent my frustration at, and I really need to get to work to pay for all the taxes to pay the idle millions.
The same thing seems to be happening in the US as well. My sister lives in Austria and they have a licensing system based on the size of the engine--she rides a 500cc Velocette. Their gasoline is about $14.00 a gal.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
At age 76, I like the "retro" bikes. I got a Yamaha XS650 because it looked like a Triumph clone. The temptation to make it into a Cafe Racer was more than I could resist. I do need to do something about its brakes. They are dismal.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Unable to answer due to the politics prohibition.
LOL! I'm guessing that you're not referring to Bear's second response but to his first one.

You can try to discuss the difference that gas prices make to motorcycle purchase choices and that might be safe. :)

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The state of our economy and how it got there is not.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
At age 76, I like the "retro" bikes. I got a Yamaha XS650 because it looked like a Triumph clone. The temptation to make it into a Cafe Racer was more than I could resist. I do need to do something about its brakes. They are dismal.
MikesXS has a lot of modern brake parts for the XS650. I upgraded the brakes on my 1977 XS650D model by putting double disks on the front with new pads and SS lines and it greatly improved its stopping ability.

https://www.mikesxs.net/brakes.html

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
When you pay $100/mo for your cell phone and have to have the latest ipad and watch, it takes away from your motorcycle funds.

And when you're focused on a digital world, the appeal of going out and experiencing the sights and sounds and smells of the outdoors..... (I'm not complaining.....I'm thankful that most people are indoors-minded.....it allows me to have hiking trails all to myself.... :) )

Top Bottom