Side pannier parts number confirmation and some info

OP
OP

Horizon

Here is some more info and pics for those facing similar issues with misbehaving pannier lids.
Attached pictures:
- (x4) The broken black plastic posts the steel pannier locking mechanism screws to (or did once upon a time).
- (x2) The latch mechanism with some broken post sections still screwed on.
- (x1) The bike pulled apart when I first tried to repair the issue without much result.
- (x1) The pannier on the bike (you may notice some extra strapping which I will explain in the next post)
- (x4) The new panniers that have arrived (thanx to MRCycles.com) and also what the new unbroken posts look like inside.

There are 4 screws per side and all of mine where either split or totally broken and smashed. If yours are only split then they may be salvageable with some epoxy or adhesive. I bought the bike with some of these issues but Im sure I made it worse as I grew more impatient with the bloody things...WARNING...forcing it or pushing hard will not EVER solve the problem if your latches are even slightly shifting out of alignment.
Those of you that have a new bike or perfectly working latches will never know our pain :doh1:
As explained in earlier posts, Honda has two different part numbers per pannier side (supposedly to reflect the earlier pre 2010 Euro/Australasian models and then the newer US models), I purchased the newer part number and Im disappointed to report that at first glance there does not seem to be any difference and certainly no evidence of a stronger or new improved screw post design. When I come to install the new panniers I will take some pics of how I reinforce them in an attempt to make them indestructible.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Horizon

On a related offshoot.... in my attempt to temporarily resolve my pannier problem and avoid another embarrassing highway incident where by a pannier lid falls open at 120kmh without notice, I devised a secure strapping system that worked a treat. It secured the lids closed and did not involve any mods to the bike until I had my new replacement panniers. As it turns out, it might even be useful if you wish to strap some extra light weight item such as a ThermaRest to the sides while touring.

You will need:
- Two 4 metre webbing straps with Cam Buckles on one end (I used 1 inch wide).
- One sturdy adjustable sports bag shoulder strap with solid snap hooks adjusted to about 70cm long (I don't know what end hooks/clips are called)
- One short Ocky Strap about 70cm (I believe other countries call them Bungee straps).

The first webbing strap loops around the back of the bike in a horizontal'ish fashion passing along the bottom of the pannier lids (near the hinges) and around the rear guard....in step two it will be lifted above the number plate so leave it slack (Cambuckle comes in handy here). The left side loops around the grey metal frame just back from the pillion pegs, the right side is virtually the same but there is a more obvious hole in the grey frame behind the peg and above the exhaust guard.

Then the Ocky strap hooks on to this webbing to one side of the number plate, goes up around the top box mounting bolts, then back down the other side of the number plate (and it just occurred to me that without a top box or mounting plate this may require some mods). Following this same path is the sports bag strap, accept the snap hooks don't attach to the webbing, they attach to the Ocky Strap hooks..."why?" I hear you ask...later this will be apparent.

The second webbing strap (with cam buckle) loops around both horizontal webbing straps roughly positioned in between the pannier lid hinges (I say "both" because the horizontal loop doubles back on itself). It then goes upwards over the lid, under the pillion handle, over the pillion seat, under the handle on the other side, down the other lid and through webbing strap on the opposite side (again roughly in between hinges) again looping back on itself. Once I started to tweak the tension on everything I ended up running one strap direction under the seat and the other direction over the seat...the cam buckle positioned near the key lock on the left.

The Webbing going over the seat has the shoulder padding from the bag strap slipped on it to help distribute tension on the seat material. Its not intended to mislead anyone into thinking the bag strap goes over the seat.

All the straps will need some tweaking but once done properly, only the one cam buckle needs to used for full operation.

With the lids closed (and mine are the larger lids), tightening the cam buckle near the pannier lock will naturally pull tension on the horizontal strap and in turn pulling the rear bag strap down, eventually stopping at its adjusted length. When loosening off the same cam buckle to open the lids, the ocky strap draws back on the now extra slack the horizontal strap has and keeps it in position ready for closing again. Without the ocky strap the straps would loose position every time you open the panniers and also its helps keep the webbing away from exhaust and the like.

The 4 meter webbing across the top may need some trimming, especially if you have the smaller lids. Alternatively, putting some thingamajigs (silver clip things) on the webbing help keep the excess from flapping around.

This system has been working well on the bike now for a couple of months and I suspect it could even work without the pannier latches engaged at all. Hope this info helps someone out of a pickle or gives some extra flexibility to the bike.... If anyone has questions or wants a ride, I can be found here www.pennydropaudio.com

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Here is some more info and pics for those facing similar issues with misbehaving pannier lids.
Attached pictures:
- (x4) The broken black plastic mounts the steel pannier locking mechanism screws to (or did once upon a time).
- (x2) The latch mechanism with some broken sections still screwed on.
- (x1) The bike pulled apart when I first tried to repair the issue without much result.
- (x1) The pannier on the bike (you may notice some extra strapping which I will explain in another post)
- (x4) The new panniers that have arrived (thanx to MRCycles.com) and also what the new unbroken mounts look like inside.

There are 4 screws per side and all of mine where either split or totally broken and smashed. If yours are only split then they may be salvageable with some epoxy or adhesive. I bought the bike with some of these issues but Im sure I made it worse as I grew more impatient with the bloody things...WARNING...forcing it or pushing hard will not EVER solve the problem if your latches are even slightly shifting out of alignment.
Those of you that have a new bike or perfectly working latches will never know our pain :doh1:
As explained in earlier posts, Honda has two different part numbers per pannier side (supposedly to reflect the earlier pre 2010 Euro/Australasian models and then the newer US models), I purchased the newer part number and Im disappointed to report that at first glance there does not seem to be any difference and certainly no evidence of a stronger or new improved mount design. When I come to install the new panniers I will take some pics of how I reinforce them in an attempt to make them indestructible.
Thanks Horizon. Your pictures and experience dealing with the panniers have been very helpful. I had a problem with my ride side latch that wasn't amenable to the usual screw driver futzing. This caused me to take apart the right side saddle bag assembly for the first time... yikes... I found that the furtherest front post was broken. I just screwed a fatter screw into what was left of the post and put everything back together. So far so good... but it seems that I'm headed in the same direction as you. I replacement for the right side inner saddle bag. Your experience has made this seem less daunting. Thanks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If I need the inner bag, I'm going to try to get that replaced under my extended warranty. I'm willing to take responsibility for the outer bags due to dropping the bike on then, but the inner bag and the latch mechanism ought to last and ought to work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I ordered one black lid for $180 plus $17 shipping from them last week. They wait till they've got several items coming from the UK so they can keep down their shipping expense. Since that keeps down our shipping expense, too, I'm good with waiting.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil,
Very good point about the INNER panniers and the extended warranty. After seeing the exceptionally well researched pannier problem by our friend from Australia, I wonder what has posessed Honda to come up with such a Mickey Mouse setup.

I see some plusses in the design, but am totally unimpressed with the execution. That latching system could have been made much sturdier.

Looks like Honda has learned from the US Automakers by having us be the guinea pigs. I guess since it is not a safety issue, it would not be subject to a recall. I do think that exterior latches are the way to go. Love the panniers on the ST 1100.

OP
OP

Horizon

My conclusion...if there can be one....Third times charm, I can now strip the whole back half of the bike down to the frame in less time than it took to play a CD :cool: The new inner panniers went on the bike and as far as functionality goes, I am 90% happy. The left side closes with single finger press and a very satisfying click and opens with an almost youthful vigour. The right side is almost as good but does require a little pressure to close. Im not sure why, maybe it will settle as the rubber seal softens. I decided not to reinforce the inner pannier posts with much more than drizzling some epoxy down then to thicken things up. I did the same for the lids where the latches screw in (some fine cracks where appearing here also).

The only difference between the original inner panniers and the newer part numbers I purchased is the rubber seal on the original (my 2007) was a continuous unbroken loop. The new seals have been cut in two places (like a razor) approx above the hinges, presumably to drain moisture from inside the rubber.

Ive not seen a newer bike in the flesh but I can safely assume the design and materials used are still the same (unbelievably). The mind baffles once I spotted something interesting... The small screw posts in the pannier lids that the nylon straps screws to are similar in design (although smaller) but are actually slightly more reinforced than the internal latch posts. :rolleyes1:

Anyway, Ive decided to tour Tasmania two up in January and leave it all behind. Hope this helps, cheers all

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Glad to hear that you got everything back together and it mostly works! I too have gotten pretty good at disassembling the inner pannier and locking mechanism on the right side where I had the damage. Everything is back together and latched but I have to admit that I don't really need to use the ride side pannier right now and am frankly reluctant to test it for fear that it might not shut again. When it warms up in the spring and I need the space for a trip, I'll try things.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, I got exterior latches installed on my large lids. Here are pics.

The original plan became a bit more complicated by the need to use pop rivets to fix the latch parts to the bike. The part that attaches to the lids was not the problem. The 'hook' part that attaches to the bike side was. There were only two places where I could get my fingers far enough in there to put the backing plate over the rivets before pulling them tight. One location you can see in the pics. The other location is in front of the grips.

I have decided right now to only install the one external latch. It seems strong enough as long as I don't overload the bags by too much. The biggest reason for this latch was for extra security, but, it also offloads the stock latches. I may install a second one if I start carrying more/heavier stuff in the panniers.

Attachments

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
They are back up. But, they could easily be replacement as they do take on most of the load (that's why I am considering installing the second set). At the very least they will extend the life of the Honda latches.

Right now the only thing the Honda latches do is lock the lids shut.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Keep us posted on how this set up is working. Thanks for taking the plunge.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Where did you get the latches and what's the part number, cost, etc.? They look real good and would have to take some of the stress off the existing latches.

Top Bottom