Side pannier parts number confirmation and some info

Horizon

I have come full circle with these NT700 panniers. Ive discovered the plastic posts that the pannier latch mechanism screws into is the weakest link in the design. All 8 of mine are either broken, cracked or completely shattered. The latch mechanism, while overly complicated, actually works flawlessly (even with thick dusty grease)....BUT, if the plastic its directly screwed to even has a slight crack and shifts the latch position when opening or closing, chances are you will see the beginnings of much frustration. If your panniers work well now, a good tip is to open up the rear of your bike now and re-enforce these plastic screw posts with glue or fibre glass or something tough...Then, chances are you may find many more years without drama. One of the early indicators that one or some of these mounts is in bad condition is the panniers are harder to operate when the bike is on its side stand rather than its centre stand. If they are broken then you need to replace the whole inner pannier. Ive not searched the forum to see if I am repeating info coz frankly Im tired of researching and fixing the damn things...:doh1:

Could someone please check these part numbers and confirm they are for the complete saddlebag body, as in the internal body that the lids attach to? The diagrams is not as clear as I would like. Any recommendations of suppliers to get these things to Australia would also be welcome.

Left side saddlebag 81320-MEW-D40
Right side saddlebag 81220-MEW-D40

Cheers all, love the bike, hate the panniers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't been able to find an official Honda parts fiche, so the part numbers don't fit, but when I look at Bike Bandit's, it looks to me as if you need four pieces (at least). You need a "BODY, R SADDLEBAG," and a "SDLBG, R Type 2" (Type 2 indicates, I think, the small lids). And you'd need a "BODY, L SADDLEBAG," and a "SDLEBG, L TYPE 2."

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
After looking at the mechanisms I think the latches are why the side bags are limited to 11lb capacity.

I severely stressed the latches on my original lids and they seemed to have held up ok. Now that I have the larger lids I am more concerned about the latches.

My solution is I am going to add external latches to each lid to augment the stock latches. I have found some more low profile ones that won't look ratty but will take the load off the stock latches.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My solution is I am going to add external latches to each lid to augment the stock latches. I have found some more low profile ones that won't look ratty but will take the load off the stock latches.
I like the looks of THIS one or THIS one. All hardware is concealed when latched.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Horizon

Thanx Phil, so the same reference on BikeBandit is - Left side (8) part number 2743448 - Right side (6) part number 2743437. Im not sure how you concluded I might need multiple parts when only one part is broken...unfortunately, it is a rather large part.
The way I am reading the diagram is that it is referencing item number 8 (left side eg) as the main inner saddlebag body and any other reference to number 8 in the diagram (such as near a screw or seal) is saying "this is included when ordering item 8 in the parts list". Would someone be so kind as to check they get the same vibe from the OEM diagram...because a vibe is about all Im getting ;)

I see some before me have also reinforced the plastic where metal catch screws to the pannier lid...this is also a very good idea and could easily be done before you have problems as a preventative measure. My bike is 2007 and no matter how well you look after it, regular use will degrade the plastic over time.
I have done a pretty crude cam-buckle strapping set up holding them closed as a temporary measure and I have put some thought to fitting a permanent cam-buckle and strap system if anyone is interested. As we are talking about both preventative and alternative measures I have pictures on the damage to my existing OEM parts, my crude emergency (side of the road) strapping system and also a more permanent strap system that I have parts for but not yet installed. Id be happy to share pics if anyone is interested.

OP
OP

Horizon

The draw latch system such as Sharpshooter has described looks great but the only potential problems I found with this is you would be attaching the latch to pretty weak plastic section of the saddlebag body...or even more of a pain is you pretty much have to have the existing complicated catch system (even if not being used) installed so the seat lock works and this in turn sits directly under the ideal position for the draw latch idea...maybe limiting space to modify. If I purchase new saddlebags and someone wants to buy my old one to experiment with then Im happy to let em go for peanuts. The only broken section is the internal screw hole where the original catch system screws to, everything else is fine.

Removing the existing catch system seemed like pretty good option at first because it would remove couple of kilos of steel from this fat pig :rofl1:

OP
OP

Horizon

Why is my arse sore after enquiring about saddlebag price listing?

NT saddlebag.

US price $115 each side.
Australian price $560 each side.

Last time I checked Japan was fairly close to Oz but apparently they are delivering Honda parts here one at a time, business class...*** :confused:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Re: Why is my arse sore after enquiring about saddlebag price listing?

And the real bad news is that if you want the whole saddlebag, you'll pay even more. The price you quoted is for the small lids; it doesn't include the inside part of the pannier.

Ouch!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Horizon, I misunderstood your first post, I guess. I thought both the inner and the outer parts of the bag were cracking.

I interpret their diagram the same way you do. That may be wrong, but it looks like you get the parts that have an 8 with them when you order part 8.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Horizon,

Checking on the parts list for the 2007 model, the listed part numbers are as follows,

81320-MEW-920 BODY ASSY., L. SADDLEBAG
81220-MEW-920 BODY ASSY., R. SADDLEBAG

When I researched those part numbers they have been superceded by the following part numbers (which you listed above)

81320-MEW-D40 BODY ASSY., L. SADDLEBAG
81220-MEW-D40 BODY ASSY., R. SADDLEBAG

As the part number has changed there is a possibilty that Honda has also changed the part and maybe fixed/improved it

Bike

NT saddlebag.

US price $115 each side.
Australian price $560 each side.

Last time I checked Japan was fairly close to Oz but apparently they are delivering Honda parts here one at a time, business class...*** :confused:
Just order from www.powersportsplus.com in the USA

They are good to deal with and their shipping is reasonable

Checking the powersportplus website even if they charged for 9Kg's the shipping cost is a maximum of about US$150 so you would sill save about $750

OP
OP

Horizon

Thanx guys, I did discover the new and old part number today after I got over the Oz price shock. I priced the newer D40 in the US is $115, then I got a local price on the older 920 part number at over $550. I will attempt to price the newer D40 version locally tmrw and see if stacks up. I suspect it will be the same high figure.

Chances are the newer part might be improved, I would love to see a close up picture of a 2010 model bike at the point where the complicated latching mechanism screws onto the inside of the saddlebag. Just as a future reference for those reading this, when I say "saddlebag" Im not talking of the accessory bag liner that honda sell, Im speaking of the large black plastic section that is the inner half of the panniers....the part the lids close against. It is the whole in inside of the pannier, the pass through section, the rubber seal section and the outer section where the odd triangle cut out vent are in front of the lids... Its all one piece for each side from the tails lights right up to the back of your knees.

We have the same ride seagrass, Im just about to hit 50k

OP
OP

Horizon

Sorry guys, enraged in a price stupor I started another thread. Probably should have kept my comments to my previous thread...hehe

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
We have the same ride seagrass, Im just about to hit 50k
Horizon, when you hit that 50,000 mile mark, let me know your address and I'll send you a 50,000 mile sticker from NT-Owners.com.

CorpusNT1

I have come full circle with these NT700 panniers. Ive discovered the plastic mounts that the pannier latch mechanism screws into is the weakest link in the design. All 8 of mine are either broken, cracked or completely shattered on all screw mounts. The latch mechanism, while overly complicated, actually works flawlessly (even with thick dusty grease)....BUT, if the plastic its directly screwed to even has a slight crack and shifts the latch position when opening or closing, chances are you will see the beginnings of much frustration. If your panniers work well now, a good tip is to open up the rear of your bike now and re-enforce these plastic screw mounts with glue or fibre glass or something tough...Then, chances are you may find many more years without drama. One of the early indicators that one or some of these mounts is in bad condition is the panniers are harder to operate when the bike is on its side stand rather than its centre stand. If they are broken then you need to replace the whole inner pannier. Ive not searched the forum to see if I am repeating info coz frankly Im tired of researching and fixing the damn things...:doh1:

Could someone please check these part numbers and confirm they are for the complete saddlebag body, as in the internal body that the lids attach to? The diagrams is not as clear as I would like. Any recommendations of suppliers to get these things to Australia would also be welcome.

Left side saddlebag 81320-MEW-D40
Right side saddlebag 81220-MEW-D40

Cheers all, love the bike, hate the panniers.

I have just ordered my second saddlebag lid as the plastic mounts on first my right pannier and now my left pannier have broken. In each case, the prices were more ($186 +S/H) than what has been quoted in this thread, but I ordered them before seeing this discussion. Horizon, you mentioned reinforcing the plastic screw mounts and I was hoping you or someone on the board would be able to explain how that would be best done. It seems absurd to continue to replace the pannier lids every time that mount breaks. Must be one of the more stupid designs I've seen. Can't agree more with Horizon's 'Love the bike, hate the panniers.' Thanks all.

OP
OP

Horizon

Seagrass, thanks for the powerplus reference, they had a good price on the items, but they ended up asking me to pay for the item first BEFORE they would give me a shipping quote...After several email back and forth the guy told me to try another email instead....he could not be bothered forwarding my request to someone else within his own company. I told them what great retail service they have and wished them all the best for the future...NOT!!

I have ordered both the new inner panniers from MRCYCLES.com. Brad is a straight shooter and so far has not missed a beat. $385 US (includes shipping to Melbourne). Pretty good compared to $1100 for a pair in stock already waiting Sydney....good luck selling those puppies fellas...

I will put photos of the damaged ones up this evening when I get home and try to put a simple explanation as to how to either fix or reinforce, depending on the current state yours are in. I will be reinforcing the new ones before they go on the bike. I did try to fix the old ones but given that every screw post was destroyed or damaged it was just complicated and like pushing a NT700 up hill....not a graceful task.

Bike
Interesting, I have only dealt with powerplus once or twice but I remember it being very straight forward and no problems.

Maybe something as changed in the last six months.

Seagrass

Top Bottom