Engine rough idling when stopped

Has anyone having any problems with the engine not being smooth while in neutral or sitting at a red light? It just started to happen when I hit 10k on the bike. I filled it up yesterday so I am wondering if it might be bad gas.

Jim

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
This may be unrelated, but my dealer alerted me to a very minor recall for replacement of the spark plug covers with better insulated ones. It seems that a couple of bikes have had issues with arcing at idle. My dealer had to order the new spark plug covers. I have not had an issue with this, but since it may be relevant to you, I thought I would post it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
From what I understood from the service manager, it was for all NT's. The alert came up on his computer as I checked it in for the 600 mile service. I can't say with all certainty that it is universal, but you may want to check...
Maybe HondaLynn would be kind enough to let us know.
My dealer told me it is for all NT's on the sales floor or still in crates, and if a customer complains of the symtoms, then it will be done for them also. The parts had been ordered for mine before I bought it. So mine was done when the parts came in. Sounds to me like a quite recall.

Last edited:

CoolNT

More like a service bulletin with messaging around "Fix on Failure" only.

Igo

A service bulletin is a recall that is being hushed. I've experienced several. One with my Mazda 3 right now. Phil, you better stop me. I'm gonna say something about vehicle folk again......

OP
OP
nccmpig
Jeff, you are right. I was going about 40 mph and the engine light came on and the engine was stalling. I called my dealer this morning and he told me there is a Honda notice that is for spark the plug cover and he said it sounds like the same problem. Since he is a hybrid dealership he had trouble finding it because it is only on the Honda website and not listed as a recall just a notice. He serviced an NT for the same problem last week and the notice covered it. I take it in on Saturday and let you know what he says and see if I can get the reference number of the Honda notice. Thanks for your help.

Jim

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Although the word "recall" is used way too frequently and mostly inappropriately, it only applies to situations where a fault can cause the engine to stop running or speed-up unexpectedly, or something equally important related to brakes, steering, etc. In a recall instituted by NHTSA/DOT, customers would all receive an official letter from the manufacturer. And the manufacturer can't skirt around a recall by simply issuing a service bulletin because there are official records kept about which customers receive letters, which VINs were repaired, etc.

Bike
Jeff, you are right. I was going about 40 mph and the engine light came on and the engine was stalling. I called my dealer this morning and he told me there is a Honda notice that is for spark the plug cover and he said it sounds like the same problem. Since he is a hybrid dealership he had trouble finding it because it is only on the Honda website and not listed as a recall just a notice. He serviced an NT for the same problem last week and the notice covered it. I take it in on Saturday and let you know what he says and see if I can get the reference number of the Honda notice. Thanks for your help.
Jim,
I'm glad it seems that it will be an easy fix. I still haven't had mine replaced, although they are at the dealer now. I hope to wait until I need the next service.

Good luck!
Jeff

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
A prime example of good information relevant to or bikes. Makes wading through some other stuff less deadly.
Thanks

elizilla

I just called the dealer where I bought the bike, and asked if they can get those parts for me, so I can put them in when I do the valve adjust. They are investigating and will call me back. They sounded like they plan to be cooperative, so I don't expect any trouble.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
From what I understood from the service manager, it was for all NT's. The alert came up on his computer as I checked it in for the 600 mile service. I can't say with all certainty that it is universal, but you may want to check...
Maybe HondaLynn would be kind enough to let us know.
Jeff, I just talked to my service manager and he said he hadn't heard of it. Would you see if you can get the number of the service bulletin? If you can, my guy asked me to email it to him.

Thanks!

Bike
Jeff, I just talked to my service manager and he said he hadn't heard of it. Would you see if you can get the number of the service bulletin? If you can, my guy asked me to email it to him.

Thanks!
Phil,
In looking at my receipt, it just lists Spark Plug Cap Update, part #30700-MEW-922. 2 Cap Assy. Warranty. It didn't list a specific service bulletin number. I called the service department and this is what they pulled up:
Service Bulletin info: "NT700V/A #1 December 2010. Honda Template NT01. Noise Suppression Cap Assembly.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
nccmpig
Well I had the recall, notice, bulletin, whatever we are calling it on Saturday. Last night as I was leaving work it cut our two three times in a a mater of minutes. I had to restart it as I was driving. One thing I noticed this time was the headlight and dashboard lights went out. I have never seen the headlight go out before. They came back on and I drove for another 15 miles without incident. When it dies it sounds like its not getting fuel but the whole bike goes dead for a moment. I am going to call the dealer and take it back in . I know it won't do it when I take it in, Murphy's law.

Jim

elizilla

There are a zillion hoses going between different ports on the throttle bodies, air filter housing, etc. They get disturbed when you change spark plugs or adjust valves. There is a small hose that goes to the right hand underside of the airbox, about halfway back. It was really short, and hard to put back on after my valve adjust, and it didn't grip very tightly to the bottom of the airbox. It popped off as I was reassembling things, and I had symptoms like you describe. Once I located it and put it back on, all was well in the world.

Could this hose have come off, in your bike? Or gotten nicked, so there's an air leak there? Or perhaps one of the other hoses under there is not seated properly, or is pinched?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Phil,
In looking at my receipt, it just lists Spark Plug Cap Update, part #30700-MEW-922. 2 Cap Assy. Warranty. It didn't list a specific service bulletin number. I called the service department and this is what they pulled up:
Service Bulletin info: "NT700V/A #1 December 2010. Honda Template NT01. Noise Suppression Cap Assembly.

I hope this helps.
Taking my NT in for the first service work this weekend. I mentiond the service bulletin and they had not heard of it. They said they would run my vin number to see if it pulls up the bulletin. Going to call them back on Thursday to see what they find. I have the feeling they have not serviced very many NT's which is probably not surprising. They said the service was just and oil change and I could wait for it to be done. I had to tell them about the valve check and then it was a different story. They will need it overnight. They also said they will need to order new head gaskets.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Taking my NT in for the first service work this weekend. I mentiond the service bulletin and they had not heard of it. They said they would run my vin number to see if it pulls up the bulletin. Going to call them back on Thursday to see what they find. I have the feeling they have not serviced very many NT's which is probably not surprising. They said the service was just and oil change and I could wait for it to be done. I had to tell them about the valve check and then it was a different story. They will need it overnight. They also said they will need to order new head gaskets.

Warren, my dealership has done two services and adjusted the valves both times. They never showed head gaskets as parts that had been replaced.

What say the rest of you?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Warren, my dealership has done two services and adjusted the valves both times. They never showed head gaskets as parts that had been replaced.

What say the rest of you?
Firsts of all I hope they mean valve cover or head cover gasket. One does not really want them taking the head off. Probably a precaution if they ruin one, taking the covers of. With that said I have never replace one on my ST in 90k miles. By using a bit of blue RTV, My valve cover gaskets have sealed up nicely.

elizilla

I've never had to replace a valve cover gasket. They are stout.

Top Bottom