Engine rough idling when stopped

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Firsts of all I hope they mean valve cover or head cover gasket. One does not really want them taking the head off. Probably a precaution if they ruin one, taking the covers of. With that said I have never replace one on my ST in 90k miles. By using a bit of blue RTV, My valve cover gaskets have sealed up nicely.
Sorry, you are correct. I meant to say valve cover gasket. The first time I talked to them they said they needed to replace them. The next time I talked to them they said they would order them in case they needed to replace them. I don't think the individules I talked to really knew. I hope the mechanic does.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Warren,

I stayed with mine for the 600 mile service. They could believe I wanted to, but hey? At thet point they had sold seven NTs and mine was the second in for the service. Not surprising that you r dealer seems unfamiliar. I was able to see the tech working on the bike. He was all over the shop manual and as I watched he would read a bit, then do some work or check something, then read some more. Service took about 4 1/2 hrs. I was glad to hang in there for it.

BTW they charged $235.

Keep the shiny side up.

Chuck

OP
OP
nccmpig
Katherine, thanks I will take a look this weekend. I rode it for about 100 miles with no symptoms.

Thanks again,

Jim

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sorry, you are correct. I meant to say valve cover gasket. The first time I talked to them they said they needed to replace them. The next time I talked to them they said they would order them in case they needed to replace them. I don't think the individules I talked to really knew. I hope the mechanic does.
Regarding the service bulletin on the plug caps
I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said my vin did not have any service bulletins attached to it. I asked how that could be and they said the service bulletin may only apply to certain vin numbers and that in production the problem may have already been addressed. Not sure if I believe the story but thats what they said. My vin ends with 225.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
When I approached my dealer about this issue, they looked it up and confirmed the service bulletin. Since my new bike was still in the store, about to be delivered, I offered to wait for the first service to have this done. The dealer said they would rather do this right away, even though it delayed the delivery of the bike (which I was fine with). No charge, quick action. My VIN # ends with 461.

freezingalaskan

elizilla

I called my dealer and said I want these things even if I have to pay because my bike is out of warranty. They said they thought they could get them for me for free anyway, but they had to make some calls first. I need to call them and follow up.

Igo

Katherine, I'd like to know your results. I'm for sure my dealer will want me to pay for them even if he gets them for free.

lcseds

I'm thinking I might have an issue. This morning after starting I was going to let it idle a minute or two. Accidentally had it in first when I released the clutch and stalled it. No biggie. But I would trigger the starter and the engine would start, shudder to 1.5K rpm and stall out. Did this 6 times before it caught and ran normal. Not a confidence builder. I'll have them address this on the 600 mile physical.

Igo

I haven't considered this much but the more I see it the more I figure I better address it. Right now I'm not even sure what the issue is. Back to the beginning Robert. I'm just one more UPS truck away from being fully nation wide capable. LOL.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A big thumbs-up for Sun Honda's Service Manager, Mike. I had talked to him week before last about this issue and he said he had just finished reading "Wrench," Honda's internal service publication, and hadn't noticed anything about any issues with the NT. He told me that if I got more info to email it to him.

So I sent him what DaveFL shared with us last week and just got a call. Mike has ordered the plug caps because, he said, "I don't want you having any trouble. I'll call you when they come in."

Good job, Mike!

MAC

This bulletin came out late December 2011 and was sent to every Dealer. I went to my Dealer and told him I have had a few backfires. He ran my Ser # but as others, no warrety info, then I asked about the plug caps. He said that he had a bullentin on it but I was out of warrenty. I said to him that doesn't make any sense, so HONDA wants to take a chance someone might stall in the middle of an intersection and get hurt or killed. He took my number and said he would call the Rep. The next day he called and said he has the caps on order and would call when they are in.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
He said that he had a bullentin on it but I was out of warrenty. I said to him that doesn't make any sense, so HONDA wants to take a chance someone might stall in the middle of an intersection and get hurt or killed.

I'm glad you stood your ground, MAC. And I'm curious, how much out of warranty are you? But, it should make no difference. That is definite potential safety issue and that has very little to do with warranty, IMNSHO.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The improved spark plug cap has an "NGK" logo on the upper portion and also a raised rib in the center of the piece where it makes a slight turn. I haven't looked at mine to see if it is one of these improved caps. My bike's VIN is 0035 but I haven't noticed any such problems and did ride it many times last summer in hot weather and sometimes in stop-and-go traffic which are the conditions stated in the service bulletin.

MAC

MAC. And I'm curious, how much out of warranty are you
Phill, I bought the NT December - 8 - 2009. So I am out of warranty by (4) four months, 11 days. I spoke with the service writer on the 19th. I'm not sure what the S/W said to the Honda Rep, but they are replacing the caps for me.

It seems that the Dealers are up-grading the caps with bikes they have on the floor. So IMHO, Honda should up-grade all NT's warranty or not because they know there is a problem with them.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Phill, I bought the NT December - 8 - 2009. So I am out of warranty by (4) four months, 11 days. I spoke with the service writer on the 19th. I'm not sure what the S/W said to the Honda Rep, but they are replacing the caps for me.

It seems that the Dealers are up-grading the caps with bikes they have on the floor. So IMHO, Honda should up-grade all NT's warranty or not because they know there is a problem with them.
My dealer did not even acknowledge the service bulletin existed. He just checked my vin number and said it showed nothing. I would guess it would not show anything if Honda's approach is that they will only replace the caps if a problem crops up. So far my NT has been running fine. At my next service I will probably press the issue.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Taking my NT in for the first service work this weekend. I mentiond the service bulletin and they had not heard of it. They said they would run my vin number to see if it pulls up the bulletin. Going to call them back on Thursday to see what they find. I have the feeling they have not serviced very many NT's which is probably not surprising. They said the service was just and oil change and I could wait for it to be done. I had to tell them about the valve check and then it was a different story. They will need it overnight. They also said they will need to order new head gaskets.
I had the first service done. The service manager said it went well and that the exhaust valves were slightly out of spec and they adjusted them. He said removing all the plastic was not to big a deal but it did take them about four hours to complete the work. They did not need to replace the valve cover gaskets. I had three service people standing around the bike talking about it. I think mine is the first they serviced. They were all asking me questions about my farkles and how I liked the bike. A few of them seemed to have been doing some reading on it because unlike when I bought it they all knew a little of its history. A couple of them owned ST1300's and said they were thinking of going smaller and liked the look of the NT for that purpose. They had one NT left in their showroom. Forgot to ask how many they had sold.

Last edited:

lcseds

I had the first service done. The service manager said it went well and that the exhaust valves were slightly out of spec and they adjusted them. He said removing all the plastic was not to big a deal but it did take them about four hours to complete the work. They did not need to replace the valve cover gaskets. I had three service people standing around the bike talking about it. I think mine is the first they serviced. They were all asking me questions about my farkles and how I liked the bike. A few of them seemed to have been doing some reading on it because unlike when I bought it they all knew a little of its history. A couple of them owned ST1300's and said they were thinking of going smaller and liked the look of the NT for that purpose. They had one NT left in their showroom. Forgot to ask how many they had sold.
Mind me asking what they charged? Mine needs the 600 mile checkup and I was curious.

Top Bottom