12 volt outlet

dbandach

Hey guys, I installed an outlet inside my right glove compartment and wired it directly to the battery. I'm having trouble charging my iPhone, (It keeps turning on, off, on, off.) Why? The light on my phone charger lights up so I know I'm getting electricity. I know about the accessory pigtail inside the left side of my faring, but it has a 4 wire plug on the end of it and I didn't want to mess that plug up trying to tap into it. Do those wires go through any kind of circuitry to eliminate my phone charging problems? The only reason I can think of that I'm having problems right now, is there is too much fluctuation in voltage, (directly from the battery) and my iPhone doesn't know what to do. I know Honda offers an outlet and recommends buying the harness to plug into the accessory pigtail but I don't see any reason why I can't make this work myself and save the high amount Honda gets for these items. Any ideas guys?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Just guessing, but I think the problem may be an intermittent power loss in your outlet. Did you buy a high quality outlet like the ones made by Marinco? The cheaper outlets are notorious for intermittent power interruptions. If your outlet drops power even for a split second the iPhone will light up. The power interruption may be so quick you don't notice the power light flicker on your phone charger.

This video by Dave (Soundtechguy) may answer some of your questions:

[video=youtube_share;XTwUWNy1f3c]http://youtu.be/XTwUWNy1f3c[/video]

OP
OP

dbandach

Hey Sharpshooter. I watched the video. No, it's a marine grade outlet from Walmart, ( I know, its made in some third world country, lol). I'm gonna try taking it off the bike and hold the wires to the battery on my truck....just to see if I experience the same problem. I'm thinking that will tell me if its a problem with the outlet or the bike / battery...process of elimination, what do ya think?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Worth a try. Something else which may be unrelated. Somebody here on the forum said the right fairing pocket gets very hot and not to place anything electrical in that pocket like a cell phone, digital camera, etc. Don't see how it would have any effect on a power outlet though. Might try just wiggling the connector inside the fairing pocket and see if you can get the connection to fail.

FWIW, Click here to see how I wired mine.

OP
OP

dbandach

Hey Sharpshooter. Tried touching wires to my truck battery and got the same results so its gotta be the outlet. My charger works in EVERY other outlet I've ever tried it in so I know it's not the charger. Guess I'm gonna look into one of those Marinco outlets. Thanks for your help.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm shocked that a marine outlet from Walmart wouldn't be a quality product; shocked, I tell you!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hey Sharpshooter. I watched the video. No, it's a marine grade outlet from Walmart, ( I know, its made in some third world country, lol). I'm gonna try taking it off the bike and hold the wires to the battery on my truck....just to see if I experience the same problem. I'm thinking that will tell me if its a problem with the outlet or the bike / battery...process of elimination, what do ya think?
If it came from Wal-Mart, even if it said "marine grade", it ain't what you are expecting and is very likely the source of the problem. To get a good quality outlet like Marineco, you will have to go to a boat dealer or online source like West Marine. When it comes to quality outlets, you very definitely get what you pay for.

Mike

Top Bottom