12 volt outlet

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm wiring a 12 volt outlet to my NT and plan to use it charge my smartphone and maybe GPS. (No hand or body warmers) I have some 18 gauge copper wire I can use and was wonder if that would be large enough to use. And if not what gauge would you recommend?
Thanks, Clint

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clint, that would be plenty large enough for a GPS and smartphone.

c2010nt

Clint,
as Phil said 18 gauge is solid for the current those devices draw. I put a 12v outlet in my right pocket, I purchased the outlet itself from radioshack for around $10 it came with about 2' of red & black wire and some nice quick disconnects already attached to the socket itself. The disconnects are useful because if you mount the socket in the fairing pockets you will need to disconnect when servicing the internals (air box, valve inspection etc) just make sure you put the socket deep enough on the pocket itself or it wont clear the existing plastic. Oh and theres a 4pin connector under the right pocket with a cap on it; thats your factory 12v outlet plug & play connector (for the expensive honda one). I simply tapped the accessory line in my fuse panel by the battery.

Good luck,
Chad

Top Bottom