12V Power Cigarette Socket

Bike
Silver NT700V
I've succeeded in putting together a tire repair kit that will fit the baguette hole. (Will post pics in a separate post) Now I need to get power for the pump. The current plan is to put a cigarette socket in the right fairing pocket. Here are the products planned:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-12v-15a-standard-cigarette-lighter-socket-for-power-supply

http://www.bikebandit.com/standard-motor-products-blue-streak-fuse-holder

Plan is to have a fused line to the battery. While a fuze block is ultimately planned, at this point I don't see a $90 device to provide power to a $10 pump. The only use for this outlet is to power the air pump. I want the line fuzed to protect the rest of the bike. Switched is optional and I think going directly to the battery will keep things simple.

Questions:

There are two connectors on the cigarette socket. Any idea what they are intend to connect to? I would plan to cut them off to extend the wiring to reach the battery.

Does the fuze above look like a viable option? Other recommendations?

I have read elsewhere on the forum about posi-locks? Are these the correct item to use to connect he wiring?

What drill bits, etc will be needed to cut the hole in the fairing pocket?

Thanks to all in advance,

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, that would work, AFAIK. I took a simpler approach. I put ring connectors on one end of a line, ran it down to by my preload adjuster knob and then used posi-locks to connect it to an SAE two-prong plug (being sure that the bare metal side of the plug was the neutral. Then I put the other side of the plug onto my tire pump. I've also got an SAE plug on my battery tender, so I can use that SAE plug to get power out of the bike or into it.

I probably ought to fuse the hot side of the wire. It's easy enough to do with posi-lock connectors and an inline mini-fuse.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have a cable that goes to the battery for my heated vest. it just tucks under the seat when not in use. There is a is a notch for the wire to come out in the stock plastic. This plus a cheap adapter <10 bucks to SAE and now you can hook up to a battery charger air pump you name it.

silverdevil

I installed one next to the battery and it is live all the time but no one can get to it without the seat off.
the battery is between to bars of the frame and the 12v lighter is mounted inside the right frame across from the battery, can not mount on the outside cause the seat will have to be modified to do that but fits inside the frame just fine.
I also have more mounted that I can get to while riding but they are on relays so no power when key is off.
Chuck I live in the New Waverly/Huntsville area if you want to see it and I can show you how to do it.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The only use for this outlet is to power the air pump.
Why go through the trouble of installing a CL socket for a power supply if it's only use is for an air pump? Seems unnecessary to me. The bike will be stationary while filling a tire with air. Pop the seat off and use the alligator clips on the battery terminals.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Good ideas all, thanks.

I want the power accessible because I use the pump to check tire pressures. Don't really want to remove the seat unless I have to.

Silverdevil, any chance you are going to Ingleside for pie on Saturday?

Chuck

silverdevil

CHUCK 500, no on the pie run in Corpus.
I will be doing the RTE to Crockett instead.

OP
OP
Chuck 500
Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks to all for the input. I stuck to the original plan. Here is a picture of the finished installation.

I wanted the outlet higher in the pocket but put about mid way due to clearance concerns re-installing the pocket. Turned out, the pocket slipped right back into place so up at the top right corner would have worked. The socket is off to the right so the plug doesn't necessarily require unloading the pocket to use.

I got everything back together with no parts left over or breaking anything.

Top Bottom