1st Time Riding "The Tail of The Dragon" Deals Gap,NC

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Wow, the "dragon" is on my bucket list and I am hoping to make this be the year. Any recommendation on the best time of year to make the trip from Minnesota? Also, how is the Deals Gap motorcycle resort for staying a few days? Thanks, Oldtimer, Jim

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Dragon is NOT even close to the best road to ride in the area. I would not recommend going to the Dragon as a destination, but on a route fine. If you do want to ride Dragon, not on a weekend.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Wow, the "dragon" is on my bucket list and I am hoping to make this be the year. Any recommendation on the best time of year to make the trip from Minnesota? Also, how is the Deals Gap motorcycle resort for staying a few days? Thanks, Oldtimer, Jim
I've gone down there a couple times in May. Sometimes we have snow up here at that time, but I'm hoping for an early spring this year. I'm considering going to down to the NT Gathering in Davis WV or to FerrySToc in west TN on my way to the gulf coast. My trip completely depends on the weather here so nothing definite till maybe a week or so ahead. If I go to FerrySToc I'd probably go down along the Mississippi (if it isn't flooded). We could hook up for all or part of the trip. Or if I go to Davis WV I'd probably go through SE OH, KY, and on to WV. There are plenty of good roads on the route if you stay of the Interstates.

There are better places to stay than at the Deals Gap resort (in my opinion), but the others may not have quite the same motorcycle culture.

I heard you talked to my son about some MN Sport Touring Assn. riding. I'd like to meet you some day, we aren't that far apart.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Please tell us which ones you like. That moonshiners road looks like a winner
been there 4 times. everybody has different tolerances, likes and dislikes, I can tolerate Tale of the Dragon anytime. its worth it to see and buy a professional pic from the photo guys along the route, as my avatar can confess. yes there are 311 curves in 11 miles, but not much elevation changes, but still fun. even its fun if one of our banned members went off the road - bobagain - but safe and was able to drive away. a nice view of a dam from a high lookout / parking place. I have been there on memorial weekend, rode it 2 times. yes slightly busier, just deal with more travel, but the road was not backed up or anything near it. you can have quite a show going on. been passed by racing crouch rockets a few times. witnessed a wheelie going up hill at deals gap. many "fast and loud" bikes will "rev it" up the hill.

only about 1.5 miles in NC, rest in TN. its heavily patrolled in TN. and its just a heavily promoted road now, that other roads are being done so to bring in traffic dollars.

wine-barr came from florida last middle Oct 2015, slightly north of there in Henderson and mills river. had a great time for me(3 nights) , them (5 or 6 night). took them north on BRP, and around the area, but did not go south to tale of dragon. plans to do same time of year this year

many places to stay, right there at the deals gap motel, me and wife picked "griffin cabins" near Cherohola Skyway". if you search lodging there, they ven have a motel that caters to mc riders, you can park in a sheltered garage right beside the room! and others have mc themes too.

other rides in area, yes moonshiners is good, Hwy 28, 64, 215, 276, wayha rd(from phil t) 19-74, BRP. so many I can't remember them all. if its a fast visit, hit the highlights, but if you can stay longer DO IT

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Riding your own ride always makes sense and it can saves an unnecessary trip to the ER! :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have ridden the Dragon twice. Once in Mid May and once in mid September. It was not crowded either time and I saw no police. Frankly for me it is not really an enjoyable ride. Good to do once so you know what the fuss is about and to say you did it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I enjoyed the Dragon, but I rode it late in the day the first time and early in the day the second time. The photographers weren’t out either time, so I guess I need to go back so I can get pictures of me riding it.

The Cherahola Skyway is a better ride, IMNSHO. There aren’t many bad rides in the region.

I enjoyed the Dragon, but I rode it late in the day the first time and early in the day the second time. The photographers weren’t out either time, so I guess I need to go back so I can get pictures of me riding it.

The Cherahola Skyway is a better ride, IMNSHO. There aren’t many bad rides in the region.
The best time to ride that road are when the local Paparazzi aren't out taking photos. I try to avoid the road as much as possible when the paparazzi are out taking photos.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I rode the Tail three years ago on my Kawasaki Z750S on a week day. It was a beautiful sunny day, but too many bikes on the road, we had to follow a Can Am that was going slower than I would have gone. That may have been a God send to keep the speed down. There was a nasty bike crash, a woman on a HD Sportster missed a turn and hit another guy on a HD head on. Both had to be air lifted out. I am glad I rode the Tail, but once was enough. BB

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
On the way to Road Runner weekend I road Back of the Dragon, then latter road it on way back for another direction. Much more of a ride then Tail. I did get motorcycled ID check by those lovely VA Sheriff at a all stop check point. All they did was look to see if had the endorsement, did leave a bad taste of VA. I had my radar detector safely in my trunk, so that was not he issue. I think I road all of VA I am going to, not a friendly state for lots of things IMO.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
The Cherohala Skyway which is very near the Dragon in Robbinsville,NC is a much more scenic, longer, less traveled road that I have become quite fond of. It goes from Robbinsville,NC to Tellico Plains,TN. I just wish it wasn't a 4 hour ride to get there.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I went there last year, in October, arrived on a Sunday night..stayed at the motorcycle resort. I thought the prices were reasonable...there is a much classier place about a mile down the road....don't know what it cost..anyway, since it was a sunday eve in October, the place wasn't crowded...had a group of guys there from Nebraska(??)..there weren't any delinquents or show offs...I can just imagine what it would be like mid summer though, yikes! I'm glad I did it, got a nifty sticker for my bike and bragging rights...trip would have been more fun if I wasn't alone.....that time I was on my way to the MS gulf coast..Deals Gap added about 100 miles to the trip. I'd go back if I had a reason to....otherwise, I wouldn't make it a destination.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
It's fun to go in the Summer and just people watch. Every motorcycle cliche and stereotype you can think of. The power rangers are my personal favorite.....

Top Bottom