2 up Ride to the central California coast

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Been on the road for three days now on a loop starting in LA up to Cambria (near Hearst Castle) and back. So many awesome roads. Camped the first night at Lake Santa Margarita near Pozo.

Can not say enough good things about slipstream windshield. No buffering and easy to look through or over. The wide saddlebag lids allow for camping gear.
I find the bike works great for two up touring. We spend alot of time on back roads. Even on the highway there's plenty of power and calmness behind the fairing.

Attachments

Fantastic! A friend and I spent 10 days in the bay area a couple of months ago and fell in love (with the area, not each other). I never understood the appeal of camping until that trip. Perfect weather, no rain, no flying insects. . . We rented a convertible and had a blast but my new goal in life is to fly out there, rent a bike for a week, and camp up and down the coast.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Fantastic! A friend and I spent 10 days in the bay area a couple of months ago and fell in love (with the area, not each other). I never understood the appeal of camping until that trip. Perfect weather, no rain, no flying insects. . . We rented a convertible and had a blast but my new goal in life is to fly out there, rent a bike for a week, and camp up and down the coast.
Gee, why don't you just ride out?

Gee, why don't you just ride out?
Long ride from Richmond, VA through a lot of boring country. While I could probably arrange the weeks necessary to make the trip (more than 300-400 miles in a day just sucks out all the joy for me), I don't have any riding friends who could. I'm one of those people who gets inside his own head too much if he's alone, and would get no joy from doing the trip by myself. Gotta be able to share it with someone.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Long ride from Richmond, VA through a lot of boring country. While I could probably arrange the weeks necessary to make the trip (more than 300-400 miles in a day just sucks out all the joy for me), I don't have any riding friends who could. I'm one of those people who gets inside his own head too much if he's alone, and would get no joy from doing the trip by myself. Gotta be able to share it with someone.
There's no shame in wanting to maximize riding time in California. Your plan is much more sensible than what I've been doing over the years. My approach to the boring country has been to quickly rip it off like a band aid with 1,000+ mile days of fast interstate.

Plenty of places in Cali that will rent you a bike. Pick up like a fully loaded GS ready to roll with no maintenance to do. You're also not squaring off your NT's tires across Oklahoma.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Even though my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride" was 80 days and 21,000 miles and I thoroughly enjoyed both the parts I did by myself and the parts I did with other people, I can sure understand what you're saying. I was pulling your leg.

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
There's no shame in wanting to maximize riding time in California. Your plan is much more sensible than what I've been doing over the years. My approach to the boring country has been to quickly rip it off like a band aid with 1,000+ mile days of fast interstate.

Plenty of places in Cali that will rent you a bike. Pick up like a fully loaded GS ready to roll with no maintenance to do. You're also not squaring off your NT's tires across Oklahoma.
There is so much breadth in great motorcycling rds in California. Did Santa Rosa Creek rd two-up on the NT700 going into Cambria. 229 into Preston from the 58 to name a few The experiences and the views were epic. The NT has really earned my respect as a two up capable and very engaging tourer.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There is so much breadth in great motorcycling rds in California. Did Santa Rosa Creek rd two-up on the NT700 going into Cambria. 229 into Preston from the 58 to name a few The experiences and the views were epic. The NT has really earned my respect as a two up capable and very engaging tourer.
Welcome to the NT Admiration Society!

Mike

Top Bottom