2011 dl650 adventure

elizilla

Bob, there were a lot of reports of the Vees having troubles like that. You couldn't replace the filter without replacing the whole pump. I never had the problem, but there was a period when the pumps were just plain unavailable and there was a lot of discussion on the forums; some of the folks bought pumps to hoard because of it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hi Chuck,

I tend to think you have the perfect stable, especially for someone living out west. I was reading an Alaskan RR of a Vee, and the fellow was having top end power loss. He limped into Washington and the dealer pulled his pump and filter out - bad fuel from up north had a HUGE amount of sediment in it and had stuffed both. While I'm a fan of EFI, this certainly points up another reason why the KLR's carb setup makes sense. The more I read about it, the more I admire that bike.
I have 16000 miles on the Wee. No problems with pump or EFI. How ever I did replace a fuel pump on my ST1300 at 92000 miles. It would cut out when it got HOT and the fuel level got low. That was 8000 miles ago.

The KLR is a great bike if you are not in a hurry. Simple, but never breaks. I did have to disassemble the carb on a picnic table years ago as it had gotten some junk into it. Cleaned it out and reassembled, but it back in the bike and continued on my journey.

Last edited:

elizilla

There are the DeLorme Gazetteers. I think most of the map data comes from the gov't, ultimately, and it's just a matter of who includes the most detail when they publish that go'vt info. DeLorme is the most detailed print source I know of. Google Earth is similarly detailed, but unless you're in one the areas with the best detail, you often can't tell what the surface is.

I've never found any maps for Michigan that are particularly adequate in terms of telling you what the surfaces are, but I haven't found a Michigan gravel road that's in my Gazetteer that you couldn't take a Wee down. I have, however, found Gazetteer-mapped roads that I personally would prefer not to take a bike down, in Ohio. If Ohio's going to improve a road they pave it, so when you do find a gravel road it's less likely to have been improved. Either way, the Gazetteers don't tell you enough about what to expect, and different states definitely have different styles when it comes to their road infrastructure. Watch out for those signs that say "GRAVEL ENDS". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

1TRAK

I forgot to ask if there is a directory or website that lists fireroads and the like that are moto accessible in various states. I've begun to look for off asphalt riding ops here in PA.
Good evening Bob. Looks like the Delorme Gazetteer and Google Earth are popular for research, quite a few folks from ADV RIDER use both.
I use the Delormes a lot for outdoor recreation, they're good for that but as Katherine said they don't show gravel. They have fine lines that show streets and roads, but many states have paved and graveled streets and roads. The PA Delorme is the same but would give you an idea of the amount of riding there.

As for PA Strom riding there's endless roads in the state forests if you enjoy curvy and hilly hardpack. My wife and I have spent a few vacations there over the years and especially like the north central part of the state. The Elk, Susquehannock, and Tioga State Forests are great places for waterfalls and hiking as well as riding.

From Pittsburg it looks to be about three hours to East Hickory, from there head east and enjoy!

Top Bottom