2012 Honda Crossrunner VFR800X

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Review - Honda Crossrunner

Today (5th November, 2011) I had my Deauville serviced and Honda at Montlhery gave me a Crossrunner for the day. So here are my thoughts on the Honda Crossrunner.

This bike, after the Deauville, is light! I mean really light. It seems to have little or no weight at all. This is not a bad thing but a good thing. She is also very quiet after the wind noise from the Deauville.

The V4 engine is amazing, torquey, revs easily and, because of the lightness of the bike, makes it all too easy to reach the speed limit without noticing. The throaty noise from the exhaust is also very nice. This is the best thing about this bike. I would buy it just for the engine! Please, please Mr Honda put this engine in the next Deauville (keeping the Deauville?s shaft drive of course).

The Fairing does keep most of the wind off you and the little screen does quite a good job as well. Because of this there is almost no wind noise ? BLISS after the Deauville! Unfortunately it doesn?t do such a good job in keeping the muck off you. The seat height is about the same as the Deauville but, because she is much lighter, it felt much easier holding her on the balls of your feet.

The Controls are a little different from the Deauville with the horn button and indicators reversed so I kept pressing the horn when I wanted to indicate or cancel the indicators. The throttle is very responsive, the (hydraulic) clutch light and easy to use. The handlebar grips, I thought, were a bit thin ? I prefer the Deauville?s.

The Instruments are all LED and took a little getting used to. There isn?t a temperature gauge, just the temperature displayed in degrees C. I thought the rev counter display could have been a little larger.

Seating position is upright which I liked a lot. The foot pegs are much further back than the Deauville?s, more in keeping with an off-road bike. I didn?t have a problem with them and my knees didn?t complain. The seat itself didn?t seem to fit properly when I was on the bike with a large gap at the front where it meets the tank. I?m about 200lbs so maybe it?s designed for someone a lot lighter.

Handling was excellent. The Scorpion Trail tyres gripped the slippery French roads well and really inspired confidence. No buttock clenching moments when going round some of the corners. I just wish the Deauville was as sure footed.

The $64,000 question ? Would I buy one?

If it had Shaft Drive, YES! No question about it especially because of the fantastic V4 engine. You can add a bigger screen, wind deflectors and luggage etc. so it would suit my needs. But, as it has a chain, probably not.

Last edited:

elizilla

Re: Honda Crossrunner

The Crossrunner is the 6th gen VFR powerplant (2002-2009) only with more standard, upright ergos and with a long travel suspension and less plastic. I'd love to own one; I'm sure it is fabulous. Even if it does have a chain. But they aren't sold here, so I have never even seen one.

I've said before that I'd love to have a Deauville with that powerplant. VFRs are sweet engines.

And if dealers here gave loaner bikes to ride while servicing our bikes, I would never have learned to wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattb

A chain? My God why? I don't think this will lure away big beamer buyers.

elizilla

I think you are confusing the Crossrunner with the Crosstourer. The 'runner is the 6th gen VFR in adventure trim - it is 800cc with a chain. The 'tourer is the 7th gen VFR in adventure trim - it is 1200cc with a shaft drive.

The Crossrunner is available now in Europe but they haven't brought it to the USA. The Crosstourer was a concept bike at the Milan show last year, and there's a lot of speculation but AFAIK they haven't unveiled a production model yet, anywhere. And who knows if it'll come to the USA if they do? Honda hasn't bothered bringing their adventure bikes to the USA in about 20 years, so it wouldn't surprise me if they skip us with this one - that's one reason I decided to get the Super Tenere. I could have it now, instead of waiting hopefully year after year and getting nothing from Honda.

Since I already have my 1200cc shaft drive adventure bike, now, I could see adding that Crossrunner to my garage, despite the chain. I might even relinquish the TDM...

elizilla

I had a 4th gen VFR (1994 model) that I just sold last year. Before that I had three V65 Sabres, which are not to be confused with the Shadow Sabre - they were 1100cc V4s that Honda made in 1984 and 85. I loved all of these bikes and miss them still. I'd much rather have a V4 than a V2. I'm also still the list admin on a mailing list for 1980s Honda V4s. Honda made a lot of different VFR and Interceptor models back then.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR

I had a 4th gen VFR (1994 model) that I just sold last year. Before that I had three V65 Sabres, which are not to be confused with the Shadow Sabre - they were 1100cc V4s that Honda made in 1984 and 85. I loved all of these bikes and miss them still. I'd much rather have a V4 than a V2. I'm also still the list admin on a mailing list for 1980s Honda V4s. Honda made a lot of different VFR and Interceptor models back then.
I wonder if a VFR 800cc motor can be stuffed into the NT, or even a V45 motor. Now we would have a real mid-size sport tourer. I too really prefer a V4 and then a in-line 4. I really am a 4 cylinder kinda guy.

elizilla

Maybe Spacetiger can do it. He's the guy for that kind of project. But I'm thinking that the VFR800 motor would not fit the NT, because it's a chain. Maybe a V45 motor, but they're all pretty darn old.

I suppose that with carbs instead of FI, we could carry more fuel because we wouldn't need the pump in the tank. But I still prefer FI.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have been out of touch for awhile. Is the NT out of the 2012 Honda lineup, to soon be replaced by the chain drive shimmed engine 2012 Honda Crossrunner VFR800X ?:p:frown::mad:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hey, thanks! I must have missed it under 2012 Hondas...glad they are keeping it alive.
I guess I can have any color I want as long as it is black! Or maybe a left over silver....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The reason I asked was that the ID of the black NT as a 2012 showed up in two threads almost simultaneously. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. It happens more and more these days.

Top Bottom