2012 Kawasaki Concours Review

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Well, at nearly 25,000 miles, I said goodbye to my NT. I traded it in on a new 2012 Concours. I wanted to wait until I put at least 500 miles on it before posting a review. I love the NT, but longed for a more powerful touring bike with more features. I had the opportunity to ride a ST1300 for a day and a FJR1300 for a weekend (trading the NT on both occasions). I liked certain aspects of both, but could not commit to either, although both are fine machines. I have been lusting after the Concours for awhile, but did not have the opportunity to ride one until the day I purchased it. So, it was a bit of faith on the endless reviews and research I have read, coupled with what I learned from the ST and FJR rides.
I had some concerns: How was the Connie going to handle around town? How was the low speed throttle response going to be? Did they really solve for the heavy steering in the latest version? I love the twisties; was this beast going to do well on tight, twisty roads? What about all that weight, how could it be maneuverable? Did they solve for the heat issues from prior versions? Seat height and reach to the ground? (Can you tell I put too much analysis into my vehicle choices?)
500 miles later, here are the answers:
In town handling: If heavy steering was an issue, they solved it. I can move this bike around as easily as I could the NT.
Low speed throttle response: This bike handles in a very refined, gentleman-like manner at low speeds and in town. (I was worried about this as I was not happy with how the FJR handled in this regard on my test ride of that bike; low speed throttle response was very jerky)
Twisties: AMAZING. I never would have thought this would be the case with a 680 lb machine. This bike handles much more like a sport bike in the twisties than the NT or the ST. I would put it on par with the FJR, but with better throttle response. This is the sport portion of sport touring and they nailed it!
Heat issues: None. I have ridden in temps from 40-82 degrees over the past 4 days and I did not feel any heat at all.
Weight: 680 lbs, but well balanced. I do notice it takes a little more effort to push it backwards while seated. It takes less effort than the NT to put on the center stand (must be different angles or something, but definitely easier). Once in motion it is absolutely no issue. It "feels" much lighter when riding.
Seat height: I can easily flat foot with the stock seat. Very similar to the NT stock seat reach to the ground. (I am 5'-10.5")
Other observations: Power, Power, Power!! The Connie has more than enough power and acceleration to satisfy for anything I would ever ask of it, and much more. More importantly, they have harnessed this power to be very manageable at low speeds (hence the "gentleman-like" reference above).
Transmission: Silky smooth. The 6 speed gearbox makes virtually no noise while shifting, save for a slight clunk going into 1st. Beautiful engineering. The jointed shaft drive is awesome, making the bike respond more like a chain driven machine than one with a shaft drive: positive with no jacking.
Traction control: I love it! With all that horsepower, this is a great feature that works very well (yes, I tried it both on dry pavement and wet pavement)
ABS: This has two different settings that dictate how much the front and rear brakes are linked. I have not activated the ABS, but the stopping power is tremendous, especially considering it is a 680 lb machine.
Weather protection: Fantastic. On a 50 mile ride in 43 degree weather I was very comfortable. The faring does a fabulous job.
Electronics, etc: Grip warmers are stepless and standard and do a great job. ECO mode can be accessed with a trigger near the left bar grip. This delivers up to 25% better mileage (haven't used this much). TPMS and other features are also monitored on the LCD screen between the analog speedometer and tach. I love the TPMS feature as I have always had a fear of low tire pressure on all bikes while riding...until now. Electric windshield :)
Overall: The Connie is everything I wanted it to be and much more. I will always sing the praises of the NT for perfectly being what it was built for, but I think I have found my perfect match.
If anyone is considering a bigger sport-tourer, I encourage you to ride the new Concours. It is a beautiful piece of engineering.

Happy riding!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming as you roll up the miles.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, please do post a long term report. Everything...maintenance costs, etc. I am a member of COG and there are many nice people there with lots of info on the forum.
Just curious....how old are you?
Chris who thinks his C10 has way too much power.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Yes, please do post a long term report. Everything...maintenance costs, etc. I am a member of COG and there are many nice people there with lots of info on the forum.
Just curious....how old are you?
Chris who thinks his C10 has way too much power.
Haha. I am 44.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bob, the Concours 14 is a completely new platform. I don't think there are any parts carried over from the classic Concours which was in production from 1986 to 2006. The 14 is a sweet bike, but it just feels too big for me.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Phil, I think the license plate screws are interchangable! :)
vacanefan is a young healthy 44. 20 years ago, I too might consider such a big bike. Not now. Today the rain actually stopped so I took both my C10 Connie and NT for rides. I love them both but boy am I glad I bought the NT.
This weekend the C10 gets pickeled and I ride or at least run the NT all winter. For an old foggie like me, the C14 is a too bike. Too heavy, too fast, too complex, too many gagets, too expensive to buy, too expensive to insure, too much
to maintain. But If I were to get a big sport tourer, I think the ST1300 has the best looks....If Honda brought out a 900cc version of that bike, I would be all over it like stink on a monkey....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Chris and Phil, I'm with you guys. My solution would be to build the NT 100# lighter. We have the technology. I just couldn't afford it if they did make it that light. I'll stick with the one I have.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris and Phil, I'm with you guys. My solution would be to build the NT 100# lighter. We have the technology. I just couldn't afford it if they did make it that light. I'll stick with the one I have.
For me, the NT 's weight is just fine. I wouldnt even mind if it grew a few lbs for 100 more ccs. But the ST is just too big. It has to be faster than my Connie and my Connie is scarry fast. An 800 or 900 CC ST could be made much
lighter, I think, than the current beast, and would still sail over the speed limit faster than you can say "speeding ticket". Could I still handle a Current ST if I had to? Sure....but I the NT is fine and a great "aging in place" motorcycle.
I am 63 now and in pretty fair health....would I be able to handle an ST at 70? 75? Answer is cloudy....ask latter....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
An awareness of approaching decrepitude was a huge factor in my move from the Classic Concours C-10 to the NT700V. I could still pick the Connie up two years ago and probably still could today, but the day is coming when it would be beyond my ability. I think the NT will extend my riding days for several years.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
An awareness of approaching decrepitude was a huge factor in my move from the Classic Concours C-10 to the NT700V. I could still pick the Connie up two years ago and probably still could today, but the day is coming when it would be beyond my ability. I think the NT will extend my riding days for several years.
That is exactly what I am thinking....I am not even sure I could pick up my C10 now (I have a bad back) but paddling around a parking lot or garage or parking space on a NT is much easier than with the C10 and IMHO the NT has much greater slow speed stablility. As we age, we loose some of our balance, as well as other physical abilities to where the NT could well carry us a few more years down the road before we need to hang up the helmet. And thankfully I think there are other bikes out there that can fill the bill for aging riders.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I went by the Kawasaki dealer at the Fort Collins/Loveland, CO, airport today. They had an '11 C14 with 380 miles on it. Somebody bought it thinking they were going to do big rides and then never rode it. I don't know how much it is selling for. They also had an '0? C10 (the pretty dark metallic blue one... an '04?) with 6800 miles on it for $4100.

If I was still riding big bikes, the C10 would be very tempting. Well, it or the 83,000 mile R1100RT for $3995 that was at the BMW dealer a block away.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
I thought I'd post a quick update on the Connie. I've only put about 2500 miles on it over the first couple of months (there has been a lot of rain lately, it seems). I looked over the manual before I took it in for the break in service at 900 miles. There really isn't much needed on the first service. Other than changing the oil and final drive fluid, the rest was just checking bolt torques, cables, etc. as there is no call for a valve adjustment on the break-in service. I performed all the checks and then brought the Connie to the dealer to change the oil and final drive fluid, which they did while I waited. Total bill was about $75. Not bad.
The thing that continues to amaze me on this bike is the traction control. I've tested it at slow speeds in wet leaves and gravel and it works flawlessly. Equally impressive is how the traction control uses sensors on the front wheel to immediately sense the differential in speed between it and the rear wheel during forceful acceleration. This keeps the front wheel grounded (it may skip a bit, but grounded for the most part) while launching the bike like a missile. Now, when I switched the traction control off, the only word that comes to mind to properly describe the resulting forceful acceleration is: "stupid". The front wheel will simply lift off the pavement with extreme ease without the KTRAC engaged. I experimented with this only for a few minutes before turning the KTRAC back on and appreciating all that it does. I don't see a reason that I would ever turn it off again.
I do experience more wind noise around my helmet at high speeds than I did on the NT. This holds true regardless of windscreen position. Strangely, there is virtually no buffeting that causes helmet movement. It's just a bit noisier. I'm certain that part of it is the Scorpion EXO700 helmet that I've had for a couple of years now; it's the noisiest helmet I've ever owned. I know...ear plugs...
Great bike. I wish I could have afforded to keep the NT as well, but I do love the C14!!

Happy Riding!
Jeff

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks for the report. It takes me back a few years. I considered one of those when they came out. I had a C10 and hoped the new Connie would be smaller (lighter). It wasn't. Sweet machine though. I had trouble keeping the lid on it. It was always going faster (sometimes way faster) than I should have been going. Seems like every time I looked at the speedo I had to roll back. I gave it back to them for the sake of my continued life and health. Nothing wrong with the bike, I'm just too old. They're for the younger crowd. Glad you are liking yours.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Keep up the reports. At 44, I am sure you can handle the bike just fine. At 63, I love the way my NT handles at low speeds. I still have my C10 and I love it but I am glad it isnt any bigger.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Update: I've put over 4000 miles on the C14 in the past few months and enjoy each mile more than the one before. Our winter in Virginia seemed colder than usual, but I never felt cold on th the Connie. I have ridden every day that there has not been snow on the ground and have found the weather protection to be fantastic. I have a heated jacket liner, but I have formed the habit of only using it when the temp falls below 25 degrees on trips of more than an hour.
I've come to grips with the power of this machine and now it seems second nature to such a large amount of hp available. I know I've said it before, but the traction control and ABS are amazing. I'm looking forward to the install of a set of PR3's in the morning (not really needed just yet, but I am planning a long trip in a couple of weeks and decided to go out on fresh tires).
--Happy Riding!
Jeff

Top Bottom