2012 Norge 8V

Kalleanka

Anyone try the Norge yet? They have one at the local Guzzi shop, but will not let me take it for a demo ride (has 0 miles on it).

I've been thinking hard about switching bikes lately. Besides being a little too tall for me (I touch with my toes), after a 500 mile day I had leg cramps, wrist vibration issues, and my *** hurt. I commute to work every day, and love the NT for it. But this fall I want to do a lot of longer rides and I worry about how it will feel day 2 or day 3 if I can't be comfortable for a single day.

So I went and looked at the Norge. Its a very nice bike, expensive, but very nice. Looked at some of the BMW touring bikes too, but they seem too bulky and tall for me. I'd also consider the FJR, ST or concourse; but they all feel big and bulky too.

I've never quite understood the motorcycle industry... Only way to find the bike you like is to buy them all! -- I wish I had the finances to do that :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Re: 2012 Norge V8

If I were near a Guzzi dealer I'd have a Norge right now instead of the NT. MI in Seattle was (and still is I think) selling NOS versions for about $8000.

But I have also seen the new Norge and it is worth the extra money for the much improved engine and suspension. You could get an older one cheap, but, then you'd spend about the difference to get it to perform like the new ones. If you want some more expert opinions go to the Wildgoose Chase forum
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/

You might also give MI a call and see if they have one you could demo.

I have ridden the 8V Griso and can tell you the engine is a hoot. The new suspension on the Norge is supposed to be close to the Griso. If it is anywhere close you have a real road burning touring bike on your hands. I also have not seen any problems on the new Norge that were experienced with the older verson.

If you have not ridden a Guzzi be prepared for a bit of different feel. The 90deg twin and sideways shake and twist takes a little bit to get used to. Once you do it is hard not to have fun on one.

tawilke46

Baton Rouge BMW here will also sell Piaggio scooters, Aprilia, and Moto Guzzi motorcycles along with the BMW's. They are waiting for the ok from BMW to share the floor space with the BMW's.
Jimmie already has a Guzzi V7 (good looking standard old style bike) and a Griso on the floor. I told him I really really want to see (and maybe ride, if he will let me) the Norge. They do have one on order. Don't know when it is coming in.
Also have a really super clean 2007 Gold R1200RT. Selling it on consignment for $13,200. Going back over there tomorrow on my bike. Will see if I can ride a couple of bikes while I'm there.
Feel like a kid in a candy store!
So many bikes, so little time!

OP
OP

Kalleanka

Why not a cruiser? You can stretch
Your legs out
True... But too boring on fun twisty roads! Have a buddy with a HD street glid and it seems like the most boring bike I can imagine. I'd rather have a gold wing ;)

I'll call MI to tomorrow. A demo would be awesome. I had a Honda 500 CX a while back, which also had a transversed mounted twin, but it didn't affect the ride much. I wonder how it will be with a bigger engine.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

Typical chatter from bikers about a brand they don't own. Sounds very similar to what you could read on forums when the NT was first released. Motorcyclists seem to be very reluctant to view another make or model with open eyes. I guess we have so much of our ego wrapped up in our bike we have a hard time being objective.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You would need to understand Guzzi folks. They like their engine one way and they like it to let you know it is running. They mostly don't like beemers cause they don't shake enough and HD cause the engine is the 'wrong' way.

But, there are many who have owned more bikes than I can count and many who have a variety of makes/models. I am not the only Guzzi owner with an NT and probably won't be the last.

And most of the comments/reports I have seen are very accurate. The NT is a boring bike. That is what makes it good at what I use it for.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Boring bike? I have never ridden a boring bike. I apparently have two of them based on this thread. :rofl1: I have fun on them all.

You would need to understand Guzzi folks. They like their engine one way and they like it to let you know it is running. They mostly don't like beemers cause they don't shake enough and HD cause the engine is the 'wrong' way.

But, there are many who have owned more bikes than I can count and many who have a variety of makes/models. I am not the only Guzzi owner with an NT and probably won't be the last.

And most of the comments/reports I have seen are very accurate. The NT is a boring bike. That is what makes it good at what I use it for.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Boring has more to do with the rider than the bike. If I had an ST1300 or a C14 or a Ninja ZX10R I would ride it just like I ride the NT. Within the speed limit, commuting to work every day and the occasional weekend ride. All very reserved and boring. If I feel the need for an adrenalin fix I will go ride the coaster at the local theme park which is legal and less likely to get me killed. I do like the look of the Norge by the way. I looked one over at the dealer the other day but like most the available sport touring bikes its bigger than what I need and the NT suits me fine for now.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, I consider my NT boring and my T5 fun. So, same rider, same conditions, different bikes, different 'feel'.

:)

1TRAK

I was going to say that you must lead a much faster-paced life than I do, Charlie, but I actually do have to agree that I'd want a faster bike if I lived out west as some here do. The distances are so much further and most of the roads to get places are

S T R A I G H T.

Here on the small side of the country, however, I didn't find the NT boring today at all. Police were everywhere on the flatter and more crowded areas, but the twisties were empty and the weather was perfect for riding. I stopped to see the Grand Canyon of PA ("D" on the map) after reading about it in Roadrunner last month. It was well worth the stop. I also found that Rt 144 (both sides of "E") from it's junction w 44 south to Moshannon (just N of I-80) was a FANTASTIC ride. (North of the Junction w 44 was all torn up from heavy trucks (fracking) and the construction needed to repair it.)

Rode through Northern PA a couple years ago on my Nighthawk, Hwy 6 was a fun road. My wife and I visited Pine Creek Gorge some years ago, great hiking trails there.

BTW the Norge looks to be a blast...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Got a close-up look at a paper-plated white Norge today during the regular Thursday lunch meet up with my Two Wheeled Texan friends. The new owner explained there were some issues needing attention from the dealer including a malfunctioning tach and a rear wheel rim defect. All-in-all a beautiful machine.

1TRAK

There's lots of good hiking all around northern PA, we've sampled a few areas and enjoyed them all. We really like all the state forests you have there.

I may have read the same article in RIDER about the Norge, sounds like they really enjoyed it.
Bike heat can be a real deal breaker, the old Concours I had added 10 to 12 degrees to your ride and really baked your legs when it was hot out.

The Pefect Bike... how about the one that brings a smile every time you ride it? :smile:

tcunnien

I have a 09 Norge and my wife has the NT. Each bike has its pluses and minuses. Nothing beats being out together for a ride. For me thats whats perfect about these two bikes.:)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Hiking there looked like it would be great fun. I didn't do it since it was only part way into an 8 hr day, but my wife wants to go back. There's a rails to trails path down in the bottom, too.

I was reading a review of the new Norge and it was virtually perfect. The lack of dealers didn't bother me since I do my own work. I had picked up my keys, suited up and was ready to go find one until I read the last couple of paragraphs that talked about excessive heat on the right side. Sat down, took off the boots and read it again....alas, it seems that there really ARE no perfect bikes.

I would still like to ride one, however.
And you believed them? I'd go ride one and see if there is a heat problem. I have not heard of that problem. But, my knees aren't that close to the cylinders either.

tawilke46

The review I read on the Norge mentioned a slight heat problem from the left cylinder. The cylinders are staggered with the left being closer to the rider's knee. Only seemed to be significant if the rider was over 6 feet tall. In which case the left knee touched the cylinder head. I would not have that problem cause I'm a short fella with a 29" inseam!
I sat on a Griso this past week and both knees cleared the cylinder heads.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, Guzzi's are not for really long legged folks. Some die hard types will get a custom seat made that moves them back a couple of inches for that reason. New foot pegs for the same reason.

OP
OP

Kalleanka

I went for it. Since I can only afford one bike at a time, I traded the NT with 9500 miles on it. I have some longer trips planed for this summer/fall, so I'll have plenty of time to get familiar with the bike. I'll post a mini-review when I have some miles on the Norge.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Congrats on the Norge... i looked at the earlier version when I was buying the NT and liked it, the 8V should be a real blast.

Top Bottom