2013 R1200GS First Ride

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its interesting to read about the advances in motorcycle engineering. I have never owned a BMW but always liked them due to their engine configeration and shaft drive. I doubt if I would buy one however.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I've been reading reviews of the new GS mainly to get impressions of the new engine as my next bike might be a 2014 RT. I was struck by two separate reviews that included the terms "head shake" and "tap slapper". Not something you want to see on any bike especially a big one like the GS.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So, maybe the new GS is a toss up with your bike now?
For you? Or for me?

I have no interest in it other than curiosity. Wonder what they'll sell it at, and will look forward to the comparisons with the TEx. I'm overly happy with mine, and it's still pretty new to me. It was a big investment I plan to stick with for some time and many miles. If I ever venture to BMW-land, it would probably be for an R1200RT, not a GS :)

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Oh! I agree...without a doubt. The Explorer and Super Tenere definitely gave people more options in the segment which I'm sure motivated the Germans to make some improvements.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Went back and found the two 2013 GS reviews that I'd mentioned.

Motorcyclist.com review with the tank slapper incident is here.

MotorcycleUSA.com review with the reports of head shake is here.

bicyclist

For me, what's interesting about the new engine is not the partial watercooling, which we knew was coming to allow the new emissions standards to be met, but the wet clutch and cassette transmission integrated into the engine case. That's a huge departure from previous boxer design. It should greatly ease routine maintenance, completely eliminating the need to lubricate clutch splines. And no more problems with a failed slave cylinder contaminating the dry clutch.

I sure as heck wouldn't buy one, though. If BMW is true to form, their customers will be beta testing the new design for them and it'll be 3 or 4 years before they work out the bugs. So, let's see, the 2017 model might be safe and then you wait 2 years to buy a low mileage example so someone else can pay for the depreciation. Hmmm.

I wonder whether the reported tank slapper/head shake thing had anything to do with the Kevin Ash crash.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The 145 was on pavement. I think they did talk about running 75 on dirt/gravel though.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Thought some would find this interesting
[video=youtube_share;kRFyw57o_Ic]http://youtu.be/kRFyw57o_Ic[/video]

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I just don't understand why a serious motorcycle needs a "beak". It has a front fender. A beak looks... well, dorky. And a 33.5 " seat height??? I'd need a stepladder to get on it. What do you do in stop-n-go traffic? Or when you're working your way aIong a rutted out deer trail at 5 mph? Oh, I got it, crash bars.

It will never be on my wish list.

Chris
I'm not sure about the 1200 or 1200 water-cooled versions but I know on the 1150 it was functional. There's an oil-cooler up high and this blocks debris from getting in there as well as funnels air into that cooler. I think it looks fine on the GS and would like to have a GS but the initial price kept me from going that direction. Then the Super Tenere was announced and I had to have one.

I think putting a beak on there for no reason - like the new XT version of the Vstrom 650 is a bit ridiculous but I'm sure you could removed it if you wanted, or add one..

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree with Chris, it looks stupid. Even if there is an oil cooler to be protected a beak is not needed. A normal front fender provides all the protection required for something mounted in the forks. Heck if they are that concerned about it then a bit of metal mesh would take care of it.

IMHO, it was done just to make people think they are on a real dirt bike, ie, a Dakar racer. High front fender look, never mind if it is functional or not.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, you can't argue with success. It is THE iconic bike in it's class and others are imitating it. I feel the Super Tenure is a better bike - duh, I bought one - so I'm financially biased but I still like the looks of the GS, beak and all.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, plenty of people like it...or the brand. I know my brother won't ride any other brand. Still like the "preying mantis" look of the Stelvio better (no beak).

But, I won't buy any of them so what should anyone care :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The seat height - low setting, is basically the same on the Base GS as the Super Tenre, VStrom 650, Tiger 1200.. right at 33 inches.. the Adventure GS is tall at 35 and KTMs get pretty tall too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The seat height - low setting, is basically the same on the Base GS as the Super Tenre
I sat on a Super Tenere for the 2nd time last week. Both times, I've been surprised that I could get as much foot on the ground as I do on my NT with its Russell saddle.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Never mind the help. I saw it. I couldn't do it, but I saw it.

Top Bottom