2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

tawilke46

Just read the "first ride" on the new FJR In the February issue of Cycle World.

I really like the looks of the new FJR. Styling is slightly more aggressive. Complete new electrics package.
The suspension has been upgraded, has ABS and traction control, electrically adjustable windshield, cruise control, adjustable seat and handle bars. I like! For less than 16k$, less expensive than a BMW, with a good dealer network.

Cycle World liked the bike for sure. Can't wait for a full blown review and test ride.

I believe if I was in the market for a new SPORTtourer, this bike would be on my list.
When my local dealer gets one in, I may twist his arm for a test ride.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm sure it'll be a really good bike. The FJR has become one of the favorite rides of people in the Long Distance community.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Sooner or later I suspect one will end up in my garage to keep my classic FJ1200 "Kamikaze Two" company. The need for ludicrous speed is calling....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
If Honda does not do anything with the ST1300 in the next 18 to 24 months then the new FJR in on my short list.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Last summer I took a spin on my friends FJR1300. Great bike. The available power was totally overkill. Kind of nice to have but I'd wind up getting in trouble with that much throttle within my reach. Way more bike than I need or want!

slider

I get my NT next Thursday but I'm pretty sure I'll be on a FJR in two years. Love that bike.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
If I was without a mount and in the market, that would be on my short list too. I bought two new bikes in less than 5 months last year, so I have to be happy with my beloved NT for a while or the wife will have a "come-apart"
I think I will need to buy a car between now and my next chance to buy a bike.

Rider Magazine also has a short review. Neat bike but when I sat on it I immediately knew it was just too big.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Rider Magazine also has a short review. Neat bike but when I sat on it I immediately knew it was just too big.
Not for people who now ride ST's........essentially the same weight and size.
I sat on a 2012 ST at a dealer in Florida and found the bike no harder to get off the side stand than the NT. Picking up an ST would be a different story.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Not for people who now ride ST's........essentially the same weight and size.
I sat on a 2012 ST at a dealer in Florida and found the bike no harder to get off the side stand than the NT. Picking up an ST would be a different story.
I've dropped and picked up an ST1300, Super Tenere w/crashbars and GL1800s...

Guess what, the heaviest was the easiest.. LOL.. helps that the OEM engine bars on the Wing help get you halfway there.. LOL

A big sport bike is probably the toughest to pick up IMO.. but, I don't think I'll ever have the chance... LOL

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Old biker truism (if not, it should be):
"Never ride anything bigger than you can pick up."

I realize there is certain amount of technique involved. You can, for instance, back up to a dropped bike, squat down, grab it, and lift with your legs. Unfortunately, I have two bad knees. I believe that knees are good for 70 years or 70,000 miles, whichever happens first. Being retired Army, I am pretty high mileage.

I will be retiring for good in a little over a year. The NT or something like it, warts and all, is at the top of my shopping list for a new bike - if it is still available. But I think I wish that the NT had a 6th gear. My GPz750 also has a 5 speed gearbox and I am constantly trying for one more gear.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Old biker truism (if not, it should be):
"Never ride anything bigger than you can pick up."

I My GPz750 also has a 5 speed gearbox and I am constantly trying for one more gear.
It does not mater how many gears. My Wee has a six speed and sometimes I find myself looking for the seventh gear.:shrug2:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But I think I wish that the NT had a 6th gear. My GPz750 also has a 5 speed gearbox and I am constantly trying for one more gear.
John, there are some people who are convinced that the NT needs another gear. I'm not one of them. Once I got used to running at higher rpms, I've decided that the gearing on the NT is practically perfect. The spacing fits the power curve.

When I had my two C-10 Kawasaki Concours, I was always shifting to 7th and it was never there. I rarely try to shift to the non-existent 6th on the NT. 5,000rpm at 70mph, 5,300=75, 5,660=80. It sounds like a lot of revs, but it fits the power curve. The fastest I've gone has been 108, but others report having made it to redline in 5th which happens at 122mph.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
.....The NT or something like it, warts and all, is at the top of my shopping list for a new bike......

Warts? What warts? Mine's perfect... 'course it Is a red (faster) one!

;^)

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have had 6 gears before and found that 6th was only good if I was going to wring the bikeout...My brother has a Ducati and says the same thing. Unless you are flat flying, the bike isnt happy in 6th
6th is usually too tall for any legal speeds and has no umph

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
After riding it for a while now, I think the NT is geared just right, even with my 280 lbs. on it.

Its not a fast sport bike, its for light touring and commuting and it does both well.

My neighbor has a 2005 FJR for sale and I like it but its just too much machine for me, at least for what I want (good MPGs).

Last edited:
Bike
Bonneville T120
John, there are some people who are convinced that the NT needs another gear. I'm not one of them. Once I got used to running at higher rpms, I've decided that the gearing on the NT is practically perfect. The spacing fits the power curve.
What Phil said!

Bike
choosing
My VFR 800 had a six speed tranny. You could use the sixth gear, but you had to be riding at LEAST
70 miles per hour. That bike was not happy in 6th if you were riding under 70. I guess it was low
torque. I remember riding on Hwy 443 behind a line of Hardley Ablesons. They were riding about 50
miles per hour and I just did not want to ride that slow. I dropped down to third, flicked the throttle
and as I blew by each one, I looked down and noticed that I was up over 100. In no time, and that
was on a 800 cc bike. I bet the new V-4 1200 cc VFR is a seamless, smooth, rocket. Throw a set of
hard bags on that bike and you have a world class sport tourer. I guarantee you that V-4 is sweeter
than the inline four on the FJR. Despite all of this, I would love to have a FJR. However, I still believe
that my NT will "probably" be the last bike I own. It is perfect and all I need for recreation, which is
all riding is to me now. A perfect day for me is 150 to 200 miles. Four or five hours out and I have
had enough. Maybe I will be a little stronger after my surgery.

Top Bottom