2014 fjr1300 es

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
That 36 MPG may be low for general use. Note that Honda specs show the ST1300 at 35 MPG. But when the mileage on my ST1300's dipped below 40, it was because there was something wrong. Specifically, in both cases, it was a stuck thermostat, causing the engine to run below an optimal coolant temperature. My mileage was almost always between 42 and 50 MPG.

In any case, I figure the FJR is probably on par with the ST1300. Unfortunately, the tank is a gallon short of the ST capacity.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That 36 MPG may be low for general use. Note that Honda specs show the ST1300 at 35 MPG. But when the mileage on my ST1300's dipped below 40, it was because there was something wrong. Specifically, in both cases, it was a stuck thermostat, causing the engine to run below an optimal coolant temperature. My mileage was almost always between 42 and 50 MPG.

In any case, I figure the FJR is probably on par with the ST1300. Unfortunately, the tank is a gallon short of the ST capacity.
Correct, both my ST1300's were typically in the 42-45 range running 'somewhat aggressive'.

Seems like move manufacturers adjust the size of the tank to around a 240 range on a good day.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Oh, my heart palpitates for this in just my color.....truck, car, 2 motorcycles!
I must find the way to make stock market jump big jumps, so I can remove some retirement funds!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I like it! Yamaha seems to be on a roll lately.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Is that bike in anyone's garage that we know, Joseph??
It isn't on sale until November....

Now the hard decision, get a great deal on a "leftover" 13 on buy a "new" 14 with the Electronic Adjustable Suspension? The 13's will be discounted and the 14's will go at MSRP at least for a while....

For me since I don't play with suspension setting very often, once I get them set where I like them I don't mess with them generally, is the ES really worth it? Probably not...either FJR would be a solo bike for me. But then the 14's Candy Red is so much more appealing than the 13's Stone Grey it might be worth the extra $1K in MSRP just for the paint... That Candy Red would look really good sitting next to Kamikaze II in my garage...

Silver Ranger

Correct, both my ST1300's were typically in the 42-45 range running 'somewhat aggressive'.

Seems like move manufacturers adjust the size of the tank to around a 240 range on a good day.
I have over 4k miles on my 2013 and run between 40 and 50 mpg. My best is 52 and my low is 38. The 38 mpg was on I 90 at 80 to 85 mph. This is actual not the computer. However the computer is within 2 or 3%. Keep in mind that I can push this much lower if I would ride harder.

I like the new color. Red is my favorite. It would match my truck, my boat and my wife & kids (all redheads).

I have been very happy with the upgrade from the NT.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Same basic engine, so it's a 5 speed.

Looks like the suspension is updated. And the red is gorgeous.

I was hoping to see a shaft drive sport tourer based on the FZ9 engine.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I don't know what I'd do with my spare time if I bought that bike - farkling looks complete already. Maybe put some cards in the spokes or something.
Actually, acquiring the new, "perfect" bike seems to be like getting married to the "perfect" spouse: "She'd be even more perfect if only she ..." :D

I like what's been put into this bike a lot. It's got lots o' stuff that the ST line should have been acquiring the last few years. But I don't know that I'd put all the goodies to good use, given my current and expected circumstances. And could I give up my current bragging rights to gas mileage (55+ MPG all summer long)? On the other hand, I guess I could get one of these for "real" trips and use the NT for day-to-day running around. On the other hand, how often would I take those "real" trips?

What to do, what to do...:confused:

Bothell, WA in the wet part of the state.
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
I got home last night from a 3,800 mile ride on my '11 FJR and it was amazing. Sold my NT, even though I liked it a lot, for just a little more horse power. Of course there are always trade offs. Average mileage was 47, hit 50 on one 150 mile stretch where I don't think I shifted gears more than a couple of times.

Garry

Silver Ranger

If going from ~60 horsepower to ~140 horsepower is "just a little more horsepower" I'd like to see what you would consider a lot more horsepower.... :eek1::D
I have to agree that it is not a little more horsepower it is a lot. However on my 2013 the drive mode helps control it. When I am just running around or on interstate highway I am in D mode. Nice and smooth with good power. Hit the twisty roads and go into S mode and wow is it fun. Very little wrist movement is needed to add power. As I continue to build my skills, tune the suspension and upgrade to PR3 tires I will have the perfect ride. That is until the next one catches my eye. Oh, and my wife say ok I can trade. I still don't know how to sell the idea of needing more then one.:shrug2:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
That is one sharp sport tourer and certainly beats the Trophy on price. Hey Dan I envision you making a trip to your nearest Yammy dealer in a month or two :D (just to look at it, of course)

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I wonder why a 5 speed transmission, seems on a bike of this generation 6 and features is the normal.

MAC

I have to say I liked my NT a lot, but after getting the FJR, I haven't looked back. I have droped about 7 mpg from the NT to the FJR on the same rides around here. After putting on 288 miles I stuffed the tank with 5.8 gallons of fuel = 49+ mpg. ( 288 div by 5.8 = 49.655172 ) With all the stuff that comes stanard on the FJR, plus pannier bags, I'm willing to give up 7 mpg.

Redbuddha

I would buy one of these today, if I had a higher paying job! That red is drop dead sexy!

Top Bottom