2019 Tracer 900 GT, A Viable NT Replacement?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think it is "Phil" on this forum who has had a couple of rear drive failures
You're right. I've had two final drive failures, both due to technical mistakes made by Honda mechanics. I still find the NT to be extremely reliable.

I've only ridden a BMW R1200RT once, for about 15 miles. It was the single most ergonomically perfect motorcycle I've ever been on. Now they're too big for my wimpy knees. Before that, they were too expensive for me. I know some people have had problems, but I know far more people with them who have got extremely good reliability from them. If I had the money and the legs, it's the bike I'd own.

Since I don't, the NT will be the bike for me. The F800RT would be great, but the clutch pull is too heavy for me since I fractured that hand hitting the deer three years ago.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Please tell us about your maintenance costs.
That is supposed to be the biggest argument against BMW motorcycles.

Dave
I have done my own BMW F800GT maint so far, my cost comment was about the cost of a new belt. A small piece of quartz stone (1/16" cubed) punctured the center of the belt. I carry the new belt as a spare. I still really like the belt drive. As far as cost of maintenance, my BMW dealer is also the Honda dealer. Same hourly service rates.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well if he doesn't tell us the truth, you know some redneck on here will start a ridiculous wild story possibly incriminating several of us forum members.
Well, I heard (from a reliable source) that he bought it and was afraid to tell his wife and hid it your garage.... I'm just sayin'....

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Those bright blue wheels are a dead give away....:rolleyes1: But since Joe never owned a NT we can still debate if the Tracer is a viable NT replacement. :wink:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, I heard (from a reliable source) that he bought it and was afraid to tell his wife and hid it your garage.... I'm just sayin'....

Mike
I think you're half right Mike. He bought it and is in his garage next to his SuperTen and he is saying he is just storing it for Phil who doesn't want to tell his wife.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
OK that proves it - Phil's new bike in Joe's garage.
Must be true, I saw it on the internet.
And I didn't see Joe's SuperTen for sale on Cycletrader.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
If it was Joe's bike, it would probably have some dirt or at least dust on it. He'd have been out riding it.

But since it is Phil's bike...Joe doesn't want to take a chance of damaging it. So it is parked.

Chris
Dang, Phil must have broke in and took it for a ride..
Ole chicken strip Phil

Attachments

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The nerve of some folks...:rolleyes1: So when are you going to give us a review of "Phil's" new sport touring bike?
Just barely 100 miles on it.

Needs a taller shield but should be the trick to making it a long distance bike.

Love the weight, feels like a feather. Not sure about the seat yet, need a good 4 hrs on it to verify.

I'm still in the break in 600-1000 miles so can't let it fly til then. But, handles the twisties effortlessly.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Just barely 100 miles on it.
I'm still in the break in 600-1000 miles so can't let it fly til then.
That is the downside to buying a new motorcycle (besides paying for it - and paying for more insurance - and paying for license - and paying for registration - and paying for a new windscreen - and paying - and paying - and paying - ...). Such a small sacrifice for the riding you'll get.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That is the downside to buying a new motorcycle (besides paying for it - and paying for more insurance - and paying for license - and paying for registration - and paying for a new windscreen - and paying - and paying - and paying - ...). Such a small sacrifice for the riding you'll get.
Well, never been married... no kids (I think).. so no one to leave anything to.. .so, I'm spending it all before dementia hits....!!!! wait..... maybe it's already hit...

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, never been married... no kids (I think).. so no one to leave anything to.. .so, I'm spending it all before dementia hits....!!!! wait..... maybe it's already hit...
Joe, no one ever told me I was obligated to tell the truth on this forum. I suspect a few others don't tell the truth all the time either. Just a guess.

Top Bottom