$25 cheeseburger!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I took the NT out for a spin today and rode up to my old hometown of Hugo, OK. I went to the once 'world famous' Busy Bee caf? for a Samburger.
My first job ever was working for Sam, the owner of the Busy Bee back in '74, It was an 11 stool counter in an old street car. In a town of 8000 people we sometimes sold 1000 burgers in a day
Sam died a couple of years ago and was a motorcycling enthusiast and an Ironbutt in his own right.
He instilled a good part of what work ethic I have and got me excited about bikes at an early age.
He even had a Hodaka/Puch dealership in that tiny town.
People from all 50 states have had a Samburger and there was a time when it had no peer.
Some people routinely drove 25-50 miles to have one for lunch or dinner.
We had one guy who would buy them by the dozen, have them flash frozen and sell them on his charter fishing boat out of Marina Del Rey.

Someday, I'm going to ride up to St Paul, MN, and eat at a tiny restaurant called The Nook. Their signature burger is the Juicy Nookie. It was featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" a couple of years ago.

When I was in China in 06 the 25 cent hamburgers were "to die for" :) they were like a white castle - sort of , instead of a small flat square patty, these were small round patty and bun was big round and steamed as opposed to a square baked bun. They are called bao zi .. wish they were here, even if they're not 2 yuan each.. they had real good soup too.. i like soup.. '

Nu-Way in Wichita makes good burgers with crumbled meat. They're an institution there that's pushing 80 years old.

I wait patiently for the winter to pass so I can again ride for an expensive cheese burger. Winter has taken such a hold here in Michigan, not had a ride since very early November and that on only one day in that month. I've been able to get a ride almost every January, not this year: only 40 degree day there was so much ice on my gravel road I could not get to the paved. Winter has been hard in the North Country this year.

There was also a German cafe in Hugo that sold something they called bierocks. OMG they were so good
It was like a cheeseburger sealed inside a bun... a meat turnover, if you will

Back
Top Bottom