25 days, 6010 miles of Pure 2 Lane Adventure.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
It's been two months since returning from the grandest adventure of my life and I'm having difficulty finding words to let my fellow riders know what it was like to take 25 days and just go. 6010 miles, off the beaten path, 2 lane highways, some small county roads, minimal expressways and avoiding Super Highways like the plague.

I was going to call our ride The Alias Smith and Jones Tour - Off The Beaten Path, however it was quickly becoming a book that would lull readers to sleep.

Instead I will just hit the highlights and let you click through the photos to see what a grand adventure this was.

My friend and I took 25 days to ride where and how we wanted, see what we wanted to see, no plans in stone, go with the flow, camp as much as possible, no crazy long mileage days and only a couple rules. Stick to 2 lanes and back roads and find as many scenic, twisty highways as we could find in the time frame allotted.

Since our homes were in WV and PA we chose to meet in Ohio. From there we rode through farmlands, forests, small communities, beautiful mountains, hot temperatures, freezing temps, and the most scenic landscapes, in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado (emphasis here), Utah, back through Wyoming to South Dakota and then back through the upper portions of the same states we started our trip through. Eventually ending at the same town in Ohio where we began our trip.

What a grand adventure we had. I only hope that many of my fellow riders here will have the opportunity to see and enjoy some of the places I got to see and ride on this trip. Hope you enjoy the photo tour across the nation. (Click below)

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/rvmbaduane/library/West 2016

Last edited:
Amazing country, isn't it? The damned slide show pooped out after pic # 48, so I had to click through manually. Now that yer standing around with nothing to do, you should go back and caption the pics. I recognized a lot of places, some were familiar but I wasn't certain where they were and some I didn't know.

I can see that Bob's the one with good sense; he wasn't riding on the stock seat.:p

Amazing country, isn't it? The damned slide show pooped out after pic # 48, so I had to click through manually. Now that yer standing around with nothing to do, you should go back and caption the pics. I recognized a lot of places, some were familiar but I wasn't certain where they were and some I didn't know.

I can see that Bob's the one with good sense; he wasn't riding on the stock seat.:p

Hope to do the captions soon. And I don't know about the seat. I've never had problems with the factory. Bob actually tried to let me use the one off his extra bike and I turned it down LOL.

It appears Bob was carrying more than an extra pair of socks and fresh undies! :)

Some of your shots are simply astounding. I hope you have some of them blown up and framed. Did you have any mechanical problems at all on your trip? I agree with others, captions would have been helpful, although I knew several of the places.

Terry

Some of your shots are simply astounding. I hope you have some of them blown up and framed. Did you have any mechanical problems at all on your trip? I agree with others, captions would have been helpful, although I knew several of the places.

Terry

Captions added. Had a couple issues. Bob had a punched rear tire near Black Canyon / Montrose ended up replacing two days later, leaking. Then his rear shock broke on about day 10 near Aspen. Took them a couple days to fix so I did a three day solo from there and met Bob back there to finish up the trip. Then my tire did not hold up like I thought it should so I replaced the Rear tire and had them change brake pads at same time in Rapid City SD. Rice's Honda there is spectacular and very reasonable on prices and labor. That's it..

Looks like quite a trip. Thanks for sharing pics.

Brad

A truly wonderful adventure! Ain't traveling by bike great?

Mike

Very nice, can't wait to do a ride like this one day.

Thanks for the post. You had a great ride. AND you did it well. You slowed down and smelled the roses. I've been to a lot of those places, but the only thing I have left is my failing memory because I didn't take many pictures of make many stops. My last 6,000-mile trip took only half as long as yours. I have to learn how to slow down.

Oh, and that chipmunk wasn't quite as fat when I saw him last year. I'm sure it is the same one.

Ya' done good, Duane! Is Bob a member here?

Jim, sure looks like the chipmunk was trying to get stove fuel, didn't it?

nice pics, and nice trip. last year I did 6,100 miles in 14 days to Colorado and Utah. didn't have time to take a longer trip. now you can see why out west is less populated, too many areas that have nice landscape but nowhere sensible to live!

I've been through a lot of that country but it was in a car many, many years ago. Thanks for the pictures! It looks like you had a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom