Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Re: 2nd Spearfish Nat'l Rally-Jul 10-13, 2013

Mellow,

You're right about the high hotel rates in that area and time of year. Out of curiosity, I checked just now and the Super 8 ran from $83 to $104 depending on what I did in regards to affiliations.

Tosh
Yup, thanks for checking.

Most will be camping, it's a nice campground and close to everything, even hotels, restaurants, etc...

It was the warmest it's been in 2012 but the flip side of that is more hung out in the shade and just socialized plus there's a nice cool stream folks were jumping in .. it's really tough to have a bad time there. The $3 per night camping rate is also hard to beat... I'm going to try and get that rate Thu-Sat instead of Fri-Sun as we had more show up early this year. Even if one night is the full $18 rate it's hard to beat... they call this area primitive camping LOL.. Funniest thing I've heard in years.

Unfortunately the rate doesn't apply to the electric sites but between NTO and STO I'm sure we can get those w/cpap machines together and split that cost if more cut it by more.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It is one of the two or three best campgrounds I've ever seen. Absolutely beautiful (I wish my yard looked as good!). Quiet, and the bubbling stream is delightful. Good shade, very clean, and even when the temperature was close to 100F, it was comfortable. And for $3/night, it can't be beat.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I fully concur with Phil,This is a very nice campground. I was pleasantly supprissed after my arrival there.

eldon

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yes, great campground. But you forgot to mention the hot showers and flush toilets.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Jim , you are so right about that, , I am sure we have all seen some of the primitive places where you have a pit bathroom and nearest water several hundred yards running cold out of the ground.

eldon

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Last year did anyone have issues with mosquitoes or ants while camped in Spearfish???
No mosquitoes, few ants on the out side of my tent. There are no such thing as fire ants this far north. Too cold in the winter for them. If you have issues with ants then just bring some of the Fire Ant killer and spread it around your tent. That stuff is illegal for sale here in Colorado, but it sure works good on all the other ants. Brought a couple of bags back from Wichita Falls when I moved back. Had a bunch of the sugar ants around the seams of my patio. One application of the Fire Ant stuff and no more ants in over three years.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Not only weren't there mosquitoes (I don't remember seeing any) or ants (ditto), there were very few bugs at all.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Not only weren't there mosquitoes (I don't remember seeing any) or ants (ditto), there were very few bugs at all.
We scared them off. Had to be more farts per square mile at that time than most anywhere else on the planet.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
No... just the atmosphere.. LOL
Similar to this campground? :eek1: :rofl1: :crackup: :rofl1: :crackup: :rofl1: :crackup:

[video=youtube;qpB3ME_Xem0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpB3ME_Xem0[/video]

No matter how burned out, bummed out, or tired I am watching Blazing Saddles is always good for a laugh.....

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Did anyone rent a site with electricity last year? I am wondering if the folks there would give a discounted rate on one of those

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Did anyone rent a site with electricity last year? I am wondering if the folks there would give a discounted rate on one of those
I think someone did but they split it with some others so that's your option, they won't discount the electric sites.

Between here and STO I'm sure you can find someone that would want to.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just wanted to post that I think that even though this winter has been milder so far than the previous ones, I am really itching for a motorcycle trip. I am also planning to go to Spearfish again this year if nothing unusual happens at work. I am even trying to swing that Pre-rally in CO.

I am also planning on riding the DR650 this time. Especially since Chuck talked about doing some 4x4 roads in Colorado. If my plans pan out I will be on a single motorcycle vacation and hit the Pre-rally first, then monument valley and other good Utah sites that lend themselves to a Dual sport. Then go to SpearFish and head home. Eastern Kansas is wrong direction so won't be able to go home get the NT and back up to Spearfish. I would prefer to take the NT to Spearfish, but the last time I rode in CO, AZ, NM, and UT I felt like I brought the wrong bike and why I purchased the DR in the first place. So if they let me go of work early enough to include the CO Pre-rally I will be on the DR. Can't wait! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
We hope you can make it to the Pre-Rally Rally! Sounds like there may be more dual-sports there than NTs, but that's fine. We look forward to seeing you again.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I think someone did but they split it with some others so that's your option, they won't discount the electric sites.

Between here and STO I'm sure you can find someone that would want to.
I would love to split the cost of an electric site with someone. Any takers?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I am penciling in Spearfish this year. I wanted to be there last year, but when I took my tumble at Coulee Dam on 6/30 that ended that.

Unlike all you hearty souls, I'm no longer a tent camper, and from what I've read from all the posts so far, there certainly isn't a great deal of discussion about where a good place to stay might be and still be considered a part of the activities.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, and if anyone else is considering a motel with clean sheets, hot showers, no bugs, and maybe a pool or hot tub, give me a shout and maybe we can see if swing a deal for a rate. I'd like to stay somewhere where other riders might be staying.

androu

Re: 2nd Spearfish Nat'l Rally-Jul 10-13, 2013

I'm toying with the idea of coming this year, depends on work. Anyone else from So Cal or West coast planning to attend?

Top Bottom