60 years of Honda

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Rider online has a great article on Honda's last 60 years in America. If like me you grew up with those Honda's of the late 50's and 60 this article should open up your memory banks.

They also have a link to a Honda Corp presentation that covers both Honda Autos and Motorcycles. If you are just interested in motorcycle go to page 34 of the presentation. Some of the number will surprise you regarding how many motorcycles and scooters they sell around the world and how few of them are sold in North america.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The numbers sold in the US has nearly doubled since it was only 2% in the 1990s.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For a long time, India, SE Asia, and Brasil were the big markets for Honda 2-wheelers. Yes, most of them were scooters and 125-150cc motorcycles but you can't sneer at the sales numbers.

India has 5 big players that provide scooters & small bikes and each of them sell between 500k and 1 million units annually. Honda is just one of those players!.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I can't see our level of motorcycle or scooter ownership ever coming close to what they have in India. There are lots of factors and not just the price of fuel.

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
A couple of things I found interesting in the Honda Corporate.

Honda Global Unit sales = 20,850,000

The 13.1% profit margin for motorcycles is over twice that of cars. I would have thought it would have been the other way especially since most of their motorcycle/scooters are sold in Asia.

Motorcycle production is at 35 plants in 21 countries.

Their market share is as follows

Thailand 80%
Vietnam 72%
India 28%
Japan 44%
Indonesia 75%
Brasil 82%
Europe 16%
USA 21%

Mature Markets - Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam
Growing Markets - Pakistan and India
Next Markets - Nigeria, Kenya, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Philippines

Most of us on this forum see Honda thru our US based lens. Looking at the numbers its no wonder Honda is not all that focused on the US market especially since motorcycle sales are growing in other very large markets (like India) and ours is shrinking.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
A couple of things I found interesting in the Honda Corporate.

Honda Global Unit sales = 20,850,000

The 13.1% profit margin for motorcycles is over twice that of cars. I would have thought it would have been the other way especially since most of their motorcycle/scooters are sold in Asia.

Motorcycle production is at 35 plants in 21 countries.

Their market share is as follows

Thailand 80%
Vietnam 72%
India 28%
Japan 44%
Indonesia 75%
Brasil 82%
Europe 16%
USA 21%

Mature Markets - Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam
Growing Markets - Pakistan and India
Next Markets - Nigeria, Kenya, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Philippines

Most of us on this forum see Honda thru our US based lens. Looking at the numbers its no wonder Honda is not all that focused on the US market especially since motorcycle sales are growing in other very large markets (like India) and ours is shrinking.
While our market is truly small compared to other growing markets, a 21% market share is pretty impressive considering the number of competitors Honda vies with.

Mike

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I believe the US share includes their sales of ATV's. Don't know how many of those they sell here but it does skew the motorcycle market share number.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I believe the US share includes their sales of ATV's. Don't know how many of those they sell here but it does skew the motorcycle market share number.
Ah yes, I hadn't considered ATV sales. If my local dealer is any indication, they sell far more ATV's then motorcycles.

Mike

Top Bottom