600 mi service

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I need to run my bike to about 900 miles before the 600 mile service is done later this week....No harm in that, right?

skiper

Hi, I'm thinking of letting the lash adjust go until 1,500 miles. What about that ? MY experience with auto solid lifter is too tight is much worse than too loose. Is the mc engine vastly different ? Does head bolt tightening need be done ? I'll get tech manual soon... ThankYou in advance...

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've never seen anything like head bolt tightening done on Hondas as a routine maintenance item. At least none of the bikes I've had had this, including the NT.

My wife's LS650 does have routine (every 4,000 miles) torque checking of like 8 different bolts. A serious pain. Fortunately she doesn't ride it much.

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I see the 600 mile service as a make sure it is right check before you hurt something, yourself included. Seems cheap insurance for a long and healthy life for your new bike.

On the other hand the one engine problem I can remember here was a (mechanic dropping something into the engine maybe and causing a problem)

Trust is good, I like to verify.

Considering that I am at 23k and have not had the first valve service yet it could be that 300 extra miles is only a small concern. This does assume you don't hear anything real strange going on. I did have the oil changed, etc, etc. at 700 or so but when they wanted $400+ for the valves I kinda said no after the UK forum said many had gone that long without a valve adjustment.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
At 23K you're past the time I would have waited to adjust the valves. Your bike could well need some other maintenance by now as well. Depending on how you ride you could have burned up some brake pads by now, loosened up your head tube bearings, and a bunch of not-so-minor things. You might want to consider changing brake fluid and coolant too. Type of use and the environment cam play a big role in maintenance needs. A good mechanic can advise you. It's time to send it to the shop.

Those valves are sort of a pain, but I did my own. It took me most of the day the first time to get under all the plastic and learn how the beast is put together. 3 out of 4 exhaust valves were .001 tight (not much and within spec.). I felt better knowing. Next time it won't take half that much time (depending on how much I forgot).

Top Bottom