600 mile maintenance

otragain23

Honda calls for a valve adjustment at the 600 mile maintenance. I had a service man tell me that it is a waste of money, that they don't need one until 10-12,000 miles. I'm looking for some opinions since I'm inclined to have it done since it's recommended, but if it's really not needed, why do it????

tawilke46

This maintenance item for the 600 mile valve check has had much discussion on this forum.
Some say do it as per the recommendation by Honda, while others say you can wait until 8,000 or more miles.
Bottom line there is no real consensus on this.
I have 3,385 miles on my NT I purchased last August. I have yet to do the valve check on my bike. I know I may be taking a certain risk here, but so far the bike runs fantastic and quiet and gets great mileage.
I will likely do the valve check on my NT at 6,000 to 8,000 miles. My first oil and filter change was at 800 miles.
I will, however do an oil and filter change every 4,000 to 5,000 miles.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Dont know if this helps but I agonized and obsessed over this for quite awhile after reading all the posts and decided to have it done by the dealer this comming week. I am an aircraft mechanic and feel like I could do this myself but I am considering an extended warrenty and just want it on record that they did this, or said they did. I plan on taking pics of certain bolt head positons just to satisfy my mind that they actually did something....although in the end I suppose the service sheet is all that matters. Very very roughly, I think I have only read about one person that found the valves seriously out of tolerance, or at least the dealer said they were. BTW, the Coeure D'Alene dealer said to just leave them alone. But I didnt buy the bike from him.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I believe the reason Honda specify a valve clearance check at 600 miles is they have found that in some circumstances the clearance becomes too small and the valves cannot close properly. This is rare and although it may not happen within 600 miles, when it does eventually happen the engine will not run or misfire (backfire)

I have a friend that suffered from this problem about a week ago on his Suzuki DRZ400E and the bike simply would not start (this is a single cylinder engine). Once the valve clearances were reset (The DRZ500 has shimmed valves) it fired up first go.

So if it was me, I would be having it done just to be certain all is OK and you then also have a reference point for the next scheduled valve adjustment.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I bought my NT, I also purchased a four-year extension of the warranty and the dealer paid for the first three service (600, 8,000, and 16,000 miles). So I had it done. It took them a long time on the 600 mile check, because their mechanic was looking at his firs NT. Since then he's gotten to know the bike and is quicker. I'm getting the 40,000 mile check done next Friday.

Old Bob

I'm having my NT serviced by the dealer, and especially while it is under warranty, and I bought an extended warranty as part of their break-down cover. At the 600 mile check they had to adjust six out of the eight valve clearances. It's hard to say if it made a noticeable difference because the motor was still loosening up, but it certainly runs smoother now. The 600 mile check is a nuisance - first you can't open the bike up much and then, just as you begin to settle in with it, you have to take it in for a service; when what you want to do, just having got a new bike, is ride and ride. I have no idea what damage (if any) would have been done in my case if I left it to 10,000, but I just think it is worth having the service done as Honda dictate - if only because it ties them to their side of the warranty promise. The NT is a great bike though. Had it about eight months now, and it's running like a train.

Bob

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
We all have an opinion...
It gives you the chance to make sure that everything is tight and where it belongs before you hurt it too bad or hurt yourself when "X" falls off.
Like tossing safety gear before it is no longer viable. A risk management strategy. Enjoy your ride.

Top Bottom