8000 mi Valve check and Heli riser install completed today at 9757 miles

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I got NT out of shop this afternoon from it's major service. The valves were good, two intakes at .007 a little loose but we decided to leave them alone and see what happens next time. New oil and filter & check air cleaner, was OK, Spark plugs still looked goood , but were replaced.

Heli riser system was installed, a major improvement over 1 in Hi & 1 in back .!!! for my short arms this made all the diferance in the world, I rode home and installed my bags connection CITY bag and proceded to do a 80 mile loop , twisties etc. The tankbag worked fine, If in a lock tight LH turn the heated grip switch will bump th tank bag but for normal riding it is not a problem . I will make a differnt mount bracket one day soon that will move mirror heat switch to a better position.

Of interest, the tech re-routed some wiring for various switches etc but didn't have to splice into any of the existing wiring . He did have to extend the wiring for the bmw type plug that came with Heli risor. SO for those who are concerned about Heli and tank bag from bags conection IT WILL WORK, Also IF wiring is carefully re-routed everyting will work with-out spliciing the wire harneses,.\

The Plus 4 windshield is fine set either one, or two points below all the way up with the newer seating position.

LOL I am going to enjoy the ride to Spearfish in a Goldwing riding comfort position wih my bag in place!!

Eldon

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its so much fun reading about other
people's NTs. Im due for an oil change too.
btw...is a valve check expensive? How long
did it take him?
Its not cheap. Honda says its 4 hours which puts it at around $350. Throw in an oil change etc and you are in the $400 range. This all assumes you do not have a service contract.

Mine's in the shop at the moment for oil change, valve adjustment, and overall tightening of bolts and things. Of interest is that the dealer did not have the correct spark plugs to replace the older ones and has to get them from another store and I may not be able to get my bike back today. Cost was $525, less 20% for having bought the bike there. Mileage is 14,100.

Terry

OP
OP
Bike
Its so much fun reading about other
people's NTs. Im due for an oil change too.
btw...is a valve check expensive? How long
did it take him?
They had my bike setting there Tuesday morning , sat over weekend and was good and cold.I do have a service plan, $750 for three years cost me $750, inlcudes oiln , filters sparkplugs etc nd required sevic\es such as valve adj and Air cleaner check/ replacement. They showed a $ 260.00 cost for thiese services, 3 hours work 216 for labor and The differance for parts . My cost for heli riser and instalation done at same time was $569.00, considering the work / PIA to install the Heli system I am more than pleased, They didn't brek out the labor from the part cost, but I usurly get a very fair parts discount on everything, this comes from being a 40 + year customer and having known shop owner since 1960. I am also allowed in the servic area when I am having work done,although I was not there for this project due to other comitments at the time. I competly trust the techs there regardless of whether I am there or not.

Thsi is not to say you will get a similar price structure from your dealer. I imagine waren is prety close to the average time, although the techs in my deler shop are intimatly familier with the NT and when on job do ot screw off any at all. Tehy do always have the service manual right there with them to refer too and double check the specs, simply because they work on too much to carry all of the various honda and Kaw line in thier heads.

Eldon

tawilke46

Tehy do always have the service manual right there with them to refer too and double check the specs, simply because they work on too much to carry all of the various honda and Kaw line in thier heads.
When I bring my bike in for service, I always ask if the mechanics have a NT service manual to refer to. From previous experience with my Pacific Coast this is not always the case.
Brought my PC800 into a dealer to have some work done, asked if they had a service manual for the mechanics, and they said "no". Their mechanics were so experienced and trained Honda mechanics they did not need one. I offered to let them use the service manual I had. Still they said they did not need it.
When I got my bike back I could see where the used screwdrivers to pop the tupperware off! Broke some tabs too. I bet they did not use the proper sequence in removing the plastic! And the PC had a lot of plastic.
They just forced things off. Needless to say I was not a happy camper!

Some dealers can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

The NT is similar to the PC800 in that most dealers rarely see them in their shops and are not familiar with them.

The dealer I bought my NT from has assured me that their mechanics can work on my bike, no problem. Well, they are going to get the opportunity soon when I bring it in for the valve check and have new Michelin RP3's installed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Bike
HI Tim,

I know if at my regular dealer that they have teh service manual as I have not only seenit in use,but I spent sevral hours looking at it before I got NT . I also have a Honda service manual that has a home in the top box at all times.

I sure hope you don't have a repeat of your PC service, I would speculate tht the current NT dealer is not the one where you had the PC experience! I would also hope you got someones attention on that previous instance. wehn I had my 86 wing a tech apparently used a large csent on the front fork tubes and mared the caps on both of them, I wa sbent out of shape about tha ! I recieved NEW caps and a refund for the labor on that job, and the tech went job hunting very shortly there after.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My dealer has been charging me a bit over $300 for full service. The same tech has done all six of the services I've had done now and he's gotten faster, but not too much faster. He pulls plastic and lets the engine cool while he soes other things and usually starts working on my bike 2-3 hours after I get it there.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Ex Winger, do you hear at all your slightly loose valves? When I did my valve clearance check at 600 miles I had an exhaust valve that was looser than the other valves but still in correct tolerance so I left it. Now I am not sure if the SLIGHT tick I hear could be that valve. Could be injectors or intake noise or ?? but sounds to me like a valve ticking. I am not going to worry about it, very slight, just wondering.

OP
OP
Bike
Ex Winger, do you hear at all your slightly loose valves? When I did my valve clearance check at 600 miles I had an exhaust valve that was looser than the other valves but still in correct tolerance so I left it. Now I am not sure if the SLIGHT tick I hear could be that valve. Could be injectors or intake noise or ?? but sounds to me like a valve ticking. I am not going to worry about it, very slight, just wondering.
Rocky,

I really dont hear them enough to ge my attention, BUTT I will quallify that : I have bad tinitis, especily in my right ear, I have a VA 20 % disability rating for hearing loss. I hear a vry slight ticking and would much rather be hearing it than not, no noise is not nessasarily good as tight valves can be burning valves. again just my .02 cents worth.

Eldon

OP
OP
Bike
Max,

you are intomy weakpoint, Iam not good at all withposting pictures, I can take them with noproblem and sometimes get themto down load to my computerand be able to get it to burn a cd for me. when it comes to shooting them and gtting them to even transfer to a email it is a rare thing for that to happen. I am very old schol and have a very poor technical memory, ot much shor term left, I can do someting and a moment later I can't remember what I have done. I I could make it happen as several of our members do I would be glad to , but it is just too far over my headMy two son's who can make it happen are both too far away from me to pop in and make it happen. easies thing If you really want to see this stuf with the bas and bag etc wold be to sned you a flash card to look at and then you send it back to me. if that interests you send me a pm with a mail address, or pm me for my mail address and send me a flash card I I will take many pictures and send it back to you.

Eldon

Top Bottom