82 years ago.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
April, 82 years ago, the USS Hornet sails under the San Francisco Bridge, headed west. The Doolittle raid on Tokyo delayed the attack on Midway Island just enough so that we could sink four of their carriers, ending all hopes Imperial Japan had of prolonging the war. 67 fire bombed cites later, 1/3 of Japan was homeless. And dont forget, in a few months it will be the 80th aniversary of D Day. I know where I was for each 10 year aniversary of D day....
1712190474314.png

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Doolittle raid was an omen to the Japanese of the devastation to come. I suspect that WW2 was the last time that our country was united as one to achieve a common objective. It appears to me that it is highly unlikely that we shall ever see such unity in our country ever again. A spark of unity appeared after 9-11 which gave me great hope but that spark flickered out after a short period of time.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Doolittle raid was an omen to the Japanese of the devastation to come. I suspect that WW2 was the last time that our country was united as one to achieve a common objective. It appears to me that it is highly unlikely that we shall ever see such unity in our country ever again. A spark of unity appeared after 9-11 which gave me great hope but that spark flickered out after a short period of time.

Mike
To many different groups of people now in the US that want to see the demise of the US as we know (knew) it.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Mike
So true. I would argue that the Space Program gave me hope but the fragmentation of our society after that , in large measure brought on by the media, has me agreeing with so many I have talked with that we should be glad we saw America when we did...and live the rest of our lives as best we can. While the Doolittle raid is very interesting for so many reasons, THEIR govt/media lied to them back then and is still lying to them about WWII. When you control the media and the text books, you can control anyone. Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him?

our thoughts of gloom and doom reflecting on our country I think coincides with the elimination of the draft . I know this is a very touchy subject but if we were directed to salute and respect our fellow beings, surely a percentage of that would remain throughout the rest of your life..Being knocked into shape as a punky teen didnt harm me so much but it sure caused me to think about the consequences if I did wander into the fray.....Just my opinion...and I will admit I was Very moved when I visited the beaches in Normandy....... usually I can control my emotions .... I didnt even cry at my daughters wedding!:usflag1:

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
our thoughts of gloom and doom reflecting on our country I think coincides with the elimination of the draft . I know this is a very touchy subject but if we were directed to salute and respect our fellow beings, surely a percentage of that would remain throughout the rest of your life..Being knocked into shape as a punky teen didnt harm me so much but it sure caused me to think about the consequences if I did wander into the fray.....Just my opinion...and I will admit I was Very moved when I visited the beaches in Normandy....... usually I can control my emotions .... I didnt even cry at my daughters wedding!:usflag1:
It was hard to not cry watching the tears of the Arizona or seeing the bullet holes in the hanger at Hickham field....I spend lots of time wandering vet/military cemeteries reading the stones.
Many countries have more or less compulsory service of some sort and it works out very well, in my humble opinion. I wont touch that third rail about why that is no longer possible here.

Top Bottom