90 degree valve stem is cause of flat?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
This thread had me thinking a little. Do you all normally replace the rubber type straight valve stems when you change tires? I haven't been but bikes I've had in the past had metal stems with rubber seals that basically lasted forever.
I'm thinking of replacing with metal at next tire change to be safe.

Brad

bicyclist

I'm thinking of replacing with metal at next tire change to be safe.
When I installed my 90? stems, I cut off the rubber stems to remove them. I was surprised at how thin the rubber was and would recommend to anyone that the stems be replaced at the next tire change.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Just a follow up note to say I reinstalled the wheel with the "regular" valvestem and have been riding daily without issue. Guess I'll just need to get a good 90 degree digital pressure guage for it. Next up, to install my first oil filter I picked up while out in Cleveland for my nephew's graduation party. I got the OEM and have watched the interesting YouTube video on how to remove/intall while the bike is on the center stand, using the hole in the stand to put the rachet extension.

Enjoy the ride!!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Or you can be lazy like me and get K&N filters. They have a 17mm nut 'welded' on top of the filter. Same wrench as for drain plug :) No muss, no fuss. :D

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes it would. But, for me, it would mean another wrench to carry around. :) not that it would hurt the bank account or fill up a lot of space or anything :) And more tools are always good? Yes. And it would mean that if you were on the road and needed an oil change you could go to Walmart and get a filter.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Thats the wrench I use. I find its easier than trying to run my socket through the center stand bracket. I use it with the Honda OEM filters. Easy on, easy off

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The title of this thread is valve stems but it has also turned into oil filters & wrenches. I change the oil normally with the bike on the sidestand. The drain plug is on the left side so leaning on the sidestand helps the oil out. It also leans over a little to give more access to the filter from the right side of the bike. Not much but every bit helps an old man like me.

I did order new metal valve stems from soundrider and will install the rear soon. I had a nail in the rear tire and the gummy worms are not holding tight enough.

Brad

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Time for new tires and thinking of metal valve stems. Everybody happy with their 82-84 degree aluminum valve stems? Any new products that are an improvement? I don't have TPMS, but might think about it later. Would external sensors be a problem?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have aluminum 84 degree valve stems, and have since I put them on right after I bought the bike. Last year, my old GPS went belly up, and I bought a Zumo 590LM with the TPMS built in. The sensors have been no problem whatsoever.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
You guys are worrying me to death. I just had a tire mounted and I insisted on a 90 degree valvestem. And me about to take off on a 3500 mile trip.
Thanks a million
You may have just "hit the lottery" so to speak....go get those stems replaced!
Be safe!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
My Honda Valkyrie had 90 degree valve stems from the factory but they had a plastic keeper that went over the 90 degree part to keep it from flexing. The Valkyrie forum advised riders to check before each ride that this keeper was in place and intact. Otherwise, the stem could fail.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My Honda Valkyrie had 90 degree valve stems from the factory but they had a plastic keeper that went over the 90 degree part to keep it from flexing. The Valkyrie forum advised riders to check before each ride that this keeper was in place and intact. Otherwise, the stem could fail.
Those rubber based 90 degree stems a just plain dangerous. They should be replaced with straight stems or solid mount 90 srems. The solid mount 90 degree stems are totally safe. No worries of the rubber base failing because that stupid retainer falls off.

As for the clearance of 90 degree stems and external TPMS sensors:
I do not feel comfortable with the clearance of the 90 degree stem on the front with the Garmin external TPMS sensor. There was about 1/16 of an inch clearance with the calipers. I decided to use a short straight metal stem instead. The clearance on the rear using a 90 stem is fine with an external TPMS sensor.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had a flat on my Concours one day. It was almost impossible to put air in the rear tire and somebody told me about BMW's accessory 90-degree valve-stem extension. I went and got one and put it on the bike. It barely weighed anything, but one day as I pulled onto I-76, I had just set the cruise control and felt a twitch in the handlebars. The next thing I knew I was in a full-blown tankslapper. I had had a friend have a rear-tire blowout and she had used the brake to try to slow down before the bike flipped. I had told myself that I would pull in the clutch and not try to use the brakes if it ever happened to me. I managed to do what I had planned and got the bike stopped. When I started to figure out what had happened, it turned out that the featherweight brass 90-degree extension had flexed the straight rubber stem until it tore through.

But after I put metal 90-degree stems on the Concours, I had no more problem. I also have had metal 90-degree stems on the NT since it was new with no trouble. I've got Doran's TPMS and external sensors mounted on the end of those stems. The Doron tire sensor on the front is between the calipers and has plenty of clearance.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Frosty - I have that type on both my bikes and they've been completely trouble-free for many years. The threaded diameter is listed as "12 mm" but it's really 11.3 mm which is fine. I only mention it because some of those stems come in 10 mm size which are too small for the hole in the NT wheels.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Those are the ones I run as well. I have about 100k with the set on my Wing and no issues. I have a set on the NT also but the valve was a bit long for the front wheel with a Garmin TPMS sensor installed. There wasn't enough clearance with the brake caliper for my liking (less than 1/16"). I switched to a solid mount straight stubby stem for the front. The rear didn't have any clearance issues. Sure does make checking tire pressure easy.

I like the multiple colors you can get those in too.

Ordered these on Amazon. Arrived today. Made in Italy, German TUV approved. Claim they are OEM on Ducatis. Look quality. Very light. Smaller than expected (good thing).
http://ariete.com/en/catalog/road/valvole/

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I carry one of these, use it if I need to get air at a gas station then return it to my tank bag. $6.00 and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Suriel-Degree-Extension-Adapter-Motorbike/dp/B01ALGYBXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465403180&sr=8-1&keywords=90+degree+valve+cap
Ah, yes.... that's the one I had on the rear straight rubber valve stem of my Concours when I learned about the effects of centrifugal force. The rubber stem tore at the base and I had a tank-slapper that I managed to survive.

They're neat little adaptors, but keep them in the tank bag when you're riding!

Top Bottom