96 Gold Wing with 87K miles?

Feel free to tell me if I'm completely crazy, but I'm considering buying a 96 Wing with 87K miles for say $3000. I haven't seen it in person, yet. Looks fair and *assuming* it has been maintained, I may buy it. The wood panel trim strikes me as something I saw on The Brady Bunch station wagon, but being more about the ride than appearance, I am still considering it. Be honest, throw me under the bus (or The Brady station wagon) if I'm not thinking straight. I would love to spend double that amount and get a 2001 Wing or newer, but not wanting to go into debt. I'm just really wanting that extra comfort, to take some really extended rides.

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
A friend of mine had a '95 (it was red :cool:, which you might like a bit better) and it was a great bike. He and his wife rode it many miles and pulled a trailer a few times. He and I took a couple of long trips together after I started riding on my '83 Silverwing, and then after I got my '99 Concours. We did our first Saddle Sore 1000s together in September of '99. I don't think he ever had any trouble with it. I wish I could remember how many miles it had on it. The 1500s weren't quite as sporty as the 1800 were, but Jim could hustle it right on down the road and did well in the mountains on it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
That isn't many miles for a 'Wing and if was maintained well there should be a lot of miles left in the old gal. I would try to find out if the timing belt has been replaced and when. If it hasn't then that is something that you'll want to do pretty quickly. Keep in mind that she's 25 years old and a lot of the rubber bits are probably dried and a bit brittle so don't expect maintenance free. For $3K though you can afford a bit of TLC and have a comfortable bike for many, many more miles.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would not be worried from miles but like Mike said it is 25 years old and soft stuff like rubber pieces, hoses, and stuff may need some replacement so you don't have trouble on the road.
I would not want it for me, way too big, but if it fits your intents go for it and enjoy.

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This is a tough one. If you absolutely love this bike and are happy with paying a dealer to work on it or do the work yourself, then I would get on the Gold wing forums and ask what to look for and where all the bodies are buried. I road my '83 standard wing for 20 years. It was a great bike. But it wasnt a Wing-a-bago like this is.
The one thing that worries me is that you are concerned about going into debt. Very commendable and I dont buy anything on time since the last century....but this bike could easily have a $1000 repair bill here and there. I dont know if this is even possible but I would take it to a dealer and give him $200 to check it out...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Like Mike said, -the timing belt. That's important. The bike looks well maintained. See if the owner kept a service record. That usually says a lot. It's a nice bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I came out of Walgreen's this afternoon and there was a young man sitting on a 2004 GL1800. I asked how many miles he had on it and he told me 87K. We talked for nearly a half hour. He's had lots of bikes, he knew what the NT700 was as well as what the GL650i that was my first bike was. I told him about the current issue of Bike magazine, which is focused on people who "accumulate" motorcycles and he started laughing. We guess that the two of us represent a large percentage of the Greeley readers of Bike magazine. One of the things that both of us have noticed is that used bike prices are going up. Nearly all of the NTs on Cycle Trader now are over $5K. Last summer, most were under that amount. If you're looking, buy quick before they get up above new price in '10 and '11. :rofl1:

OP
OP
Jason
Thanks, fellas! As always on this page, I received a lot of valuable insight, for sure. I greatly appreciate it! I hadn't much considered the age and how much sitting the bike had been doing, but factoring that in really took my thinking from imagining the extended trips to the more practical reality of maintenance. I ended up a few thousand in debt, BUT I found an 06 with 93K miles, one owner, who took excellent care of it. I am still prepared for maintenance costs, though.

Within the next week I'll my NT up for sale. I would LOVE to keep it, but really shouldn't. Thanks again for the guidance, guys!

*I should add that I first drove 7 hours to see a different Wing, it ran well, was at a great price. VIN check revealed the mileage hadn't changed in at least 2 straight years, so I walked away, likely saving a bunch on repairs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom