A 500-mile Weekend!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I picked up my bike from Sun Honda at noon on Friday and rode it home after they'd spent $1500+ repairing the final drive and the pinion bearing at the back of the drive shaft.

On Saturday, I was loaded up and ready to head for Rocky Ford (177 miles away) by 3PM, but radar showed a big thunder storm drifting toward Limon (86 miles south of here). So, I sat and read and finally left at 6PM. When I got to Limon, I could see another big cloud down toward Rocky Ford. It was a pretty spectacular cloud, probably 30-40 miles E to W, with a mushroom shaped cap up at 40-50,000 feet. After letting that drift east a bit, I headed on down CO-71. I enjoyed watching the cloud-to-cloud and inside-the-cloud lightning for the next 80 miles.

About 40 miles south of Limon, I started getting glimpses of flashing lights down the road. Before I got to them, I met a little white pickup that had an EMT license plate. When I got to the lights, it was a wrecker. There was no one at the scene but the wrecker driver and he was down in the ditch looking at a motorcycle. I learned today that there had been .9" of rain in about an hour earlier in the evening. I don't know if that played a part in the incident or not.

Yesterday, after church, I headed west on US-50 to join CO-96 though Pueblo and across interesting country till I got to Wetmore, a little town on the eastern edge of the Wet Mountains.

Back in '89, I helped lead a church intergenerational bicycle and we stopped for lunch in Wetmore. While we were fixing lunch for our 35 riders (ranging in age from 7th graders to one deaf gent who was in his late 70s), the man who owned the little store across the road let us use his restroom. I was over at the store seeing that the kids didn't ruin his store and the man said to me, "Where you going from here?" I said, "Westcliffe." He said, "Up Hardscrabble Canyon?" I said, "Well, I haven't heard that, but we're going to Westcliffe."

Well, it's a lot easier on an NT-700V! I rode on up Hardscrabble, passing the place where my 49-yr-old son was running a 45K ultra trail race. Chris finished it in 7 hrs and 20 mins, and said that he walked the last 6 miles, but was passing people all the way. The race started at 9500" ASL and had 4500' of vertical elevation gain. He was in pretty good shape and felt good about how he'd done.

Chris and his wife Tania and I spent the rest of the evening eating a great meal in Westcliffe and sitting around their motel room catching up.

One of the best things about retirement is going to be being able to see Chris and Tania more often. Our work schedules have been in serious conflict. I had Fridays and Saturdays off. Joanne had Saturday and Sundays off. Chris and Tania had Sundays and Mondays off. Living 350 miles away from each other, we'd see each other about once a year.

This morning we got up and had breakfast and they headed west for their home in Montrose and I headed east back to Rocky Ford. I had lunch with the guy who's going to follow me as pastor there, and then, about 3, I headed north for Fort Morgan. No rain today, but a very nice tailwind. I probably got well over 50mpg.

So, over the weekend I rode 594 miles, topped 85,000 miles on the bike and had a good, good time!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The final drive damage was due to the failure of the tech in Gainesville, FL, at the Honda dealer there, to use Honda Moly-60. But the pinion bearing, which would have left me stranded (or worse) in a very few miles, had nothing to do with maintenance, done or not done.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
The final drive damage was due to the failure of the tech in Gainesville, FL, at the Honda dealer there, to use Honda Moly-60. But the pinion bearing, which would have left me stranded (or worse) in a very few miles, had nothing to do with maintenance, done or not done.
Using or not using the moly grease on the straight hub splines will not lead to any final drive failures. It only acts in 3 ways, to kepp the straight splines from rusting , for ease in mounting the wheel and to help in any wear from male to female spline. The straight splines on hub of wheel have same look in final drive, meaning the pinion gear spins the final drive gear ( which are helical) which has the straight splines on opposite side to drive the wheel. There is play in the splines. Yes, they do wear. The final drive is an enclosed assembly running in the gear oil.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I insisted that C-60 is used. When I had my tyres changed by an independent repair service, I provided the grease and O Rings, should he need them. He services several Wings and uses Honda CV Joint grease -- used in the Civic and Accord..I looked at the tube and it does not list the ingredients. I'll stick with C-60. I do use Royal Purple Synthetic in the rear drive unit.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Using or not using the moly grease on the straight hub splines will not lead to any final drive failures....The straight splines on hub of wheel have same look in final drive, meaning the pinion gear spins the final drive gear ( which are helical)...]
There have been a fair number of GL1200s and other Hondas that had most of the teeth wear away from the final driven flange which is in the wheel. It can get so bad that the bike won't move! They either received no grease at tire changes or perhaps normal (wheel bearing) grease was used? Moly 60 is expensive but it was concocted especially to alleviate most of these problems. One tube of Moly 60 will last for years and years because so little is required at each rear tire change.

The back of the ring gear (driven gear) has integral female drive splines which mate with the final driven splines in the wheel hub. Ring & Pinion are what the hot rodders call these parts and probably differ from the Japanese names.

I don't have a clue as to what's causing the pinion bearing to die prematurely.

bicyclist

I don't read the UK forum. Have those guys reported pinion bearing problems?

Spline wear is a maintenance issue. I wouldn't expect the pinion bearing to be an issue as long as the oil is changed on schedule.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOL Sam,

You just made my day with your coment about Honda buying BMW materials! next thing you know we will all be drinking KOOLAId!!

If I didn't have extended warranty on the NT I would probably be riding the HD more! It most likley will be my ride to Spearfish as I will probably be puling a trailer which might over work the NT. It is one I had for my GL1800 and it pulled great behind it to Alaska and back. I know I am down from 1800ccc and water cooling to 1450 cc and air cooling, BUT I feel certain the Ultra is up to the task. If it should let me down there are almost as many HD shops along the way as there are Honda, not counting the non dealership shops.

Eldon

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Is there any external way to tell if a tire technician lubed the areas in question?

I just had tires replaced last month and didn't know this was a potential problem.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Is there any external way to tell if a tire technician lubed the areas in question?

I just had tires replaced last month and didn't know this was a potential problem.
Thanx to this forum, I didn't know it was a problem either. I have a rear PR4 waiting at my independent tire shop. Once I get a few more miles off my PR3, I'll have them put on the new tire - and take a tube of Honda moly 60 and the correct o-rings with me. I really trust the mechanic there (not the kid who changes the tires) and I'll have him check.

I love this forum!!!

Mattb

Besides all this spline and final drive talk, how are your knees after a long ride?

I did 1200 miles in 3 days last week and my knees ached for days.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Matt, my knees don't bother me as much after 500 miles on the NT as they do after 500 miles in my Buick or my wife's Altima. Other things get kind of creaky until I get more miles accumulated during the season.

Weekend after next, I may get more miles than that in. I'm leading a couple of German riders who are in the US as Over-the-Pond Travelers to attend the Concours Owners Group National Rally. I'm not going to the Rally (haven't been to a COG Rally since 2010), but will help pass them along to the next ride leader in Lincoln. Depending on what day I get them from the Rocky Mountain ride leader, I'll either ride to Lincoln and then down to Rocky Ford, or take them to McCook and then go to Rocky Ford.

Then I'll ride back to Fort Morgan.

If I go to Lincoln, I'll ride 1,123. If I only go to McCook, it'll only be 649 miles.

Mattb

Matt, my knees don't bother me as much after 500 miles on the NT as they do after 500 miles in my Buick or my wife's Altima. Other things get kind of creaky until I get more miles accumulated during the season.
Roger that. This is the first trip I've had so much pain. I've started putting my toes on the pegs (instead of the arches) during technical stuff to keep my toes from dragging. I think that may have something to do with it. I lift weights 3-5 times per week and am a heavy squatter, so my knees are pretty healthy otherwise.

Top Bottom