A beautiful day for a 2-stater...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was looking at my calendar to see if I could get any more riding in before I leave for Provo, Spearfish, Provo again, and home a week from tomorrow. I had one day and this was it. I invited a couple of people to join me. One could, one couldn't. Ken told me last night that he'd be able to ride about an hour north from Ft. Collins before having to turn back. He's helping his honey get ready to go back to KC before he leaves for Spearfish. We agreed to meet at 10AM, but I got a call from Hospice at 4:30 last night about one of our patient's death. Her daughter was extremely upset. I was assigned a telephone visit if that worked to help the daughter calm down. I called her and talked with her for about 30 minutes. By then she was sure that she didn't need me to come to the house. I was back in bed at a little after 5 but didn't get to sleep till a bit after 7. I woke up at 9, but didn't get away from here till 9:30. That put me about 20 minute late meeting Ken in Ft Collins. We spent another 1/2 hour figuring out how to pair our new intercoms. By then the temp was up to about 85F. We rode 287 climbing to our peak elevation a bit over 9K' before we came down to 7800' in Laramie.

Ken hadn't made many trips on his NC750 and figured he'd better fill up. I'd ridden 98 miles to Laramie and it was 68 more to Walden where we'd eat at the River Rock Cafe. I knew I'd want gas in Walden for the 128 miles home. Ken maybe squeezed a gallon after lunch. I took 3 and got 54.2mpg getting to Walden. Walden is at about 7500'. Riding east on CO-14, we climbed to just over 10,000' at Cameron Pass. Between the Pass and the junction with 287, we went down from that 10K feet to about 6000' in 65 miles. Some of your remember the Cameron Peak fire in Colorado last summer. It ended up being the largest wildfire in Colorado history. This was the first time either Ken or I had seen the damage. It was incredible -- the Cache la Poudre river was running hard (the winter had seen us get near record snowfall and run-off. That runoff was carrying ash and soot from the fire. The Poudre is normally a great trout river, but I can't imagine that lots of trout have been killed by the pollution of the water.

This was a beautiful day. I got up to 88 by the time we merged onto 287, and it was 95 when I pulled up to the pump at 1/2 mile from my house. It had been 128 miles from Walden to Greeley and I got 66.3 mpg. I didn't get many pictures because my camera came off it's lanyard and dropped onto the cement in Walden.

But here's my Spotwalla Track. The satellite view is my favorite. You can expand the view or zoom in. You can also click on the Spot and see how fast we were going and what my altitude was.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just updated to the New Spotwalla and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Your track looks really cool.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
good to get out and test everything before a longer trip

Top Bottom