A First Evaluation of the McCruise Electronic Cruise Control (and a couple other things)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I bought Horse from Joe Forstie (Frostie on the Forum) in 2019, he had farkled it almost exactly like I wanted it. During my ride home from Spokane, I decided that since I had lost about 65 pounds since I had bought my heavy duty Russell Day Long saddle, that I didn't need the "heavy duty" part of that great saddle. And it turned out that Russell had come out with what they call a Sport Seat -- no spring, and the height of a stock saddle after it gets broken in. I got it and it's great.

Frostie didn't ride much at night and he'd put on the smallest Denali driving lights. They just weren't bright enough when it got dark, so I installed a pair of Clearwater Darlas that have 2400 lumens each. They having a dimming feature that is adjustable between 10% - 90% and to to 100% when high beams are on. I'm running them at about 30% with my low beams. I also added LED headlights. They're a good bit brighter and don't pull as many watts as the H7 bulbs.

The McCruise on the bike when I bought had a vacuum-actuated servo. The first cruise control I had on my first '99 Concours was vacuum actuated and worked pretty well, but the higher my altitude or on steeper grades, it couldn't hold a steady speed. I replaced that with an electrically-actuated Audiovox cruise control and it worked much better but still with some limitations.

The vacuum-actuated McCruise would hold between 60-65 for me. Frostie said it had done better for him. We figured out that I probably weighed 70-80 lbs more than he did, plus I had larger windscreen. I noticed that up in Wyoming where the altitude was above 6K feet, it would barely hold 60 if there was any wind or grade.

After Ken and I rode together I observed that it accelerated at a pretty good rate when I asked it to. It held 75 easily and the speed didn't vary more than a mile or two. There is a little tweaking left to be done. When I push the set/accelerate button to resume speed, it just sets the speed I'm at when I press the button. The other negative thing I noticed was that on two occasions when I went down a fairly steep hill, the speed would creep up and when it got to 6-7mph above the set speed, the cruise would disengage. I'm pretty sure I can do some reprogramming and fix those things. Other than that I was very impressed with its ability to hold a steady speed and I think I'm going to be very happy with it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have the original version of MC Cruise, bought around 2012 for my NT. It uses a separate chamber for negative pressure (AKA: vacuum) and for me it holds speed OK but I'm smaller, have only a modest height windshield, and the ground is mostly flat in OH thanks to the glacier that came south just after high school!

Once I got it set-up correctly, it has been 100% trouble-free all these years ;) .

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I yearn for cruise control on my NT. It is the last farkle that I feel would make the bike complete. The MC Cruise seems like the way to go, but the cost... :oops:... ouchy. It is difficult to justify since, if I ever decided to sell, it will now represent around 25% of the selling price of the bike and as we all know, it is difficult to recoup the cost of our farkles and upgrades on a used motorcycle sale. However, I tend to hang onto my bikes and vehicles for the long term, so... I am forever torn on whether to pull the trigger or not. Decisions, decisions.

Hmmm... I wonder how long it will take to arrive from Oz given the current shipping crisis. There's only one way to find out! šŸ˜ƒ

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Fieroguy, if I hadn't had cruise control on every bike since my '83 Silverwing, I might not have blown the money for the McCruise. And if the vacuum version had worked at 70-75, I would have been fine with it. But 60-65 just doesn't get it out here in the west. I had put a Kaoka throttle lock on but I either had to live with 10+ mph swings or keep adjusting it all the time. I'm guessing that it came via air, since it was here in about 4 days.

When I first started looking at them, after Dudley's Rostra cruise control started having intermittent issues, they were over $1100 US. But now, they're cheap :rofl1: at "only" $826US. I know I'm keeping Horse for as long as I can ride and my kids will have to worry about getting rid of him when I'm gone, so I figure I might as well have the perfect bike for the time I've got left. :woohoo:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I can't believe they were able to reduct the cost of individual component parts by that much so the drop in price by 275+ dollars may be related to a more favorable exchange rate between the US Dollar and Aus Dollar?

Phil - the other factor for you is high altitude operation which reduces power by a significant amount. Fi can adjust for the change from sea level so the mixture isn't overly rich at high altitude but it can't make up for the thin air! The highest point in OH is only 1549 ft and about a hour northeast from me in Bellefontaine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I can't believe they were able to reduct the cost of individual component parts by that much so the drop in price by 275+ dollars may be related to a more favorable exchange rate between the US Dollar and Aus Dollar?

Phil - the other factor for you is high altitude operation which reduces power by a significant amount. Fi can adjust for the change from sea level so the mixture isn't overly rich at high altitude but it can't make up for the thin air! The highest point in OH is only 1549 ft and about a hour northeast from me in Bellefontaine.
DirtFlier, you are right. The change in price is only due to the rate of exchange between Au$ and US$. And I have said several times that my altitude, which is never less than 4K' unless I go 100 miles east, severely limits the effectiveness of a vacuum operated system.

Back when I was riding my C10 Concours, the vacuum was enough to keep cruise working with the old Audiovox cruise. But for the NT, electronically actuated servos are needed. I'd rather pay the extra money for the McCruise than go through the hassle of installing the Rostra like I had on Dudley. The McCruise is a motorcycle specific cruise control, while the Rostra was an automotive design.

Top Bottom