A little more radiator please

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this: my NT is getting a little warm whenever it gets into a tailwind on these very hot days. WAs out in 95+weather and found the temp gauge going to center of dial and the fan kicking on at city drive and getting close around 70mph. It was a very strong tailwind 25 or so. Ever since I have had the NT I have noticed that it can kick the fan on fairly quickly even on cooler days with tailwinds.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yep, Lorien, that happens. But I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've never seen mine go much more than a needle's width or two above the halfway mark and it's a long way from overheating at that point. I've never noticed the fan running when I've been at highway speeds (but I couldn't hear it if it was); I have heard several times at around-town velocities. Once the fan kicks on, the temperature stays right there, a needle's width (or two) above the halfway mark. As long as the fan can keep the temp from climbing, I'm not worried about it at all.

Mattb

I paid close attention to this yesterday during my 98 degree, 27 mile ride home. The fan only kicked in when I was pulling into my driveway, but I'm not sure if I had a tailwind or a headwind during the ride.

gazzzwp

This issue bothers me too even in the modest summers of the UK. Whenever I hit a little traffic the needle creeps up and the fan kicks in. I have the same problem with my CBF600. Someone once wrote that modern bikes are designed to run lean and this makes them run hotter. As John suggests the problem is when the automatic controls don't work when they should and there are quite a few components that could potentially fail; the sensor, control unit, fan relay, the fan itself etc. Any car must be the same.

I am seriously thinking about fitting a 20amp DPDT switch which will power the fan manually. One switch should do it if it is correctly rated by breaking the normal circuit to the fan and at the same time applying a 12V feed directly from the battery to the fan. A separate 20amp fuse will be needed. A cheap mod and could give some peace of mind.

Gary

ken45

The bike is designed to use the fan. There is nothing wrong with that. My fan kicks in occasionally on the Goldwing. It's normal, that's why it's there. As for possible failure, that's why you have a temperature gauge. I've never heard of anyone worrying about fan failure and adding additional wiring on a Goldwing....or a car.

YMMV

Ken

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
ditto.

The fan is supposed to come on when it needs to. Even at highway speeds. That's why almost every vehicle with a radiator has a fan. And they either have a gauge or idiot light to tell you if they are broken.

Failure mode I'd be more worried about is not having the proper amount of fluid in the system (ie, operator error :) ).

Bike
Silver NT700V
I'm with Charlie B on this one. The fan is designed to operate when when certain conditions are met. If you have sufficient air flow to keep the heat down, the fan will stay off, it will come on when needed. Here in Houston it has been very hot this summer. We are over 30 straight days over 100 with several in the 105 - 109 range. I commute daily on the NT. I have yet to see the temp gauge needle more than a needle width over the half way point, well within the safe range. This includes stop and go on the freeways (motorway) wen the thermometer i installed showed 115+.

If you have overheating I would look to the coolant level and mix first.

BTW, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Top Bottom