A little trip down the Big Mississippi

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well sort of. With a couple days with nothing pressing I decided to take a ride. Heading down the Namekagon River toward the Mississippi. Then jump over to the Chippewa river and on to the "Great River". I only have 4 days so I'm not sure how far I'll ride. I'll probably bounce back and forth across the river until I don't know whether I'm in WI or MN or IA or IL. Don't know - don't care either. Eventually I'll notice that the highway signs are different though. Lots of campgrounds in that area so no motels.

On my way out.

IMG_1360.jpeg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Have fun, ride safe and if you make it this far down, I'll buy you an ice cream. Be advised though that beginning Sunday the fiercely hot weather returns.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Buena Vista scenic overlook in Alma, WI is a great stop for motorcycles, so is Beth's Twin Bluffs Cafe in Nelson.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Buena Vista scenic overlook in Alma, WI is a great stop for motorcycles, so is Beth's Twin Bluffs Cafe in Nelson.
I’m about 40 miles east of Alma now. Beautiful ride today. Now at Pietrek County Park. Heading toward Wyalusing State Park tomorrow.IMG_1364.jpeg

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I've done it...twice.
Riding through the night until dawn doesn’t count on:rofl1:

After 7 hours of great riding on some of Wisconsin’s best roads I pulled in early because I’m a whimp in the heat (87 degrees). But I got one of the best campsites ever after finding 3 State Parks full by 10:00AM.
IMG_1369.jpegVeterans Memorial Park in West Salem.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Riding through the night until dawn doesn’t count on:rofl1:

After 7 hours of great riding on some of Wisconsin’s best roads I pulled in early because I’m a whimp in the heat (87 degrees). But I got one of the best campsites ever after finding 3 State Parks full by 10:00AM.
IMG_1369.jpegVeterans Memorial Park in West Salem.
Ha! I left Ft. Stockton, TX before 6:00am P1060184 (2017_11_17 00_21_56 UTC).JPG
when I was on the Epic Ride.

And I left Greeley at 5:30am (no picture though) when I left here to ride to Spokane to trade Dudley for Horse.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Ha! I left Ft. Stockton, TX before 6:00am P1060184 (2017_11_17 00_21_56 UTC).JPG
when I was on the Epic Ride.

And I left Greeley at 5:30am (no picture though) when I left here to ride to Spokane to trade Dudley for Horse.
OK, Phil - I stand corrected. You DID do 2 early starts.

But today I whipped out again. It got up to 92 yesterday and with high humidity. The campground was very well kept and quiet UNTIL about 4 PM when it came to life with lots of yelling and loud music well into the night. So between the heat and noise I had a pretty uncomfortable neight. The campground had showers so I went to take a cold shower before bed time. And just like Spearfish when I got to the shower I had to go back to my camp and get quarters to run the shower(Spearfish campers can relate). Removing clothing before showering was like peeling off tape. Still 88 and humid after sunset.

By morning the temp was down to 78 but still humid. I was on the bike at 5:30 with plans to ride a loop while it was cool(er). Riding out it was a bit dark and foggy and my mirrors and windscreen were all foggy as well. I stopped for a coffee and while drinking my coffee I checked the weather forecast - it was "same as yesterday". So I scratched my ride south and pointed the bike north. I rode all backroads for a couple hours before stopping for breakfast. Temps ranged from 74 on top down to 68 in the bottoms. About 8 hours later I was home and the highest temp I saw was 76. Weekend traffic was a little nuts though until I got about half way home.

I stumbled on to an "American Veterans Memorial" on my. I spent about a half hour reading all the monument stones and signs. It was kind of special for me. But then as the tourists poured in there were people sitting on the monument stones eating Big Macs and walking their dogs in the lawn area. I left in disgust, but once back on the road my disgust turned inward for not confronting the people about "respect". I don't think that will happen again.

IMG_1370.jpeg

So I never saw the Mississippi (except from an overlook), but I followed a lot of other rivers.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I too get disgusted at people's lack of respect for our veterans, our country and our flag. Invariably, when I am at an event where the national anthem is played numerous adults who should know better keep their hats on. Ditto when watching a parade and the colors pass by, the hats remain on and at a cemetery where people walk right over graves rather than around them. The sad part is that many of the offenders are obviously veterans.

Rant off,

Mike

Top Bottom