A new tire by Dunlop

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just ran across this new tire by Dunlop. It sounds/looks interesting. Unfortunately, the exact fit rear tire is not available for the NT but there is a size that will work. I wonder if this tire would be of any benefit to those who travel regularly on gravel or dirt roads? Looks like just what the doctor ordered for the adventure folks who do mild off roading and want good tread life.

Dunlop’s Mutant Tire Adapts To All Terrains And Conditions (rideapart.com)

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hmmm… :smile-popcorn:

It’s probably intended for a different market or subgroup.

I’m more interested in the Bridgestone T32s. Bridgestone T32 - Ridepart.com

I just this past Friday I has Bridgestone T31s rears installed on both DIVA and NaNCy (first one). The one DIVA got nearly 8,000 miles out of that tire and put some significant wear on both the side threads off the centerline too. 😉

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Just ran across this new tire by Dunlop. It sounds/looks interesting. Unfortunately, the exact fit rear tire is not available for the NT but there is a size that will work. I wonder if this tire would be of any benefit to those who travel regularly on gravel or dirt roads? Looks like just what the doctor ordered for the adventure folks who do mild off roading and want good tread life.

Dunlop’s Mutant Tire Adapts To All Terrains And Conditions (rideapart.com)

Mike
That looks very interesting! I've always used Dunlop tires, as they have been long lived, are a good values, and ride beautifully. I just put new RoadSmart IIIs on my NT and they are excellent.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
That looks very interesting! I've always used Dunlop tires, as they have been long lived, are a good values, and ride beautifully. I just put new RoadSmart IIIs on my NT and they are excellent.
I've had about four or five sets of Road Smarts on my NT and they are indeed terrific!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But they don't offer the tire in that size. It looks like the closest is a 160/60-17.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Why would anyone want to ride their NT on a dirt or gravel road? I've done both but only when the blacktop suddenly turned into something different! :oops:

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
But they don't offer the tire in that size. It looks like the closest is a 160/60-17.
Yup! That would be the one to go with. It should fit OK except your speedo would be off by about 2%. When the RS 3 first came out there was no 150 so I used a 160 at the time and it was fine. The speedo error was inconsequential.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Why would anyone want to ride their NT on a dirt or gravel road? I've done both but only when the blacktop suddenly turned into something different! :oops:
Tosh, I agree kinda, sorta. I too avoid gravel roads if I can but sometimes the tarmac disappears and you are stuck on gravel. Also, in Southern Missouri in Mark Twain National Forest there are oodles of well groomed gravel roads to ride if you are so inclined. Also, one taking a trip to Alaska or Canada may consider the Mutant for their NT as there are many gravel opportunities up there as well.

Mike

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Yup! That would be the one to go with. It should fit OK except your speedo would be off by about 2%. When the RS 3 first came out there was no 150 so I used a 160 at the time and it was fine. The speedo error was inconsequential.

Mike
Mike I'm using the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 160/70 rear and it works great for handling and lowers the cruising rpm just a hair. My luck it looks like Dunlop is doing away with the 160/70 size.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
C'mon guys, who doesn't love feeling the NT "dance" down a gravel road? I will admit, it's a bit unnerving. Although it never feels like it's going to tip over, I can't imagine picking up a heavy pig like the NT on gravel.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The trip in and out from my house is a gravel road. Would love to get it paved but can't afford it.

Top Bottom