A Nice Ride... mostly

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Since I got the bike up to Newcastle, I haven't ridden it except to ride back to Greeley on Easter afternoon and then back to Newcastle on the Saturday after Easter.

So, until today the only "benefit" I've gotten out of it has been to relearn the lesson not to park the bike on its centerstand when the surface it's parked on isn't paved. Thus, my "Catastrophic Centerstand Failure" thread.

But today was beautiful and I decided I'd been a good, hardworking guy for far too long. So I rode up US85 until the turnoff for Spearfish Canyon. I planned to pick up a couple of things in Spearfish and check out Chris's Campground, where the 2015 ST/NT-Owners National Rally will be based.

But I hadn't eaten lunch, so on my way to Walmart, I stopped at Applebee's and went in and had a nice meal before the evening rush started.

After I finished I got on the bike and, as I tried to turn the key to start it, realized that I hadn't turned the key off. DUMB!!!

It was 5:30 and the Honda dealer across I-90 closed at 5:00. So I used my AMA Road-Tow protection. Or, I tried to use it.

The lady on the other end of the phone couldn't find a dealer open in Spearfish and was going to have a tow truck come pick me up and take my bike somewhere. I told her I didn't really need a tow, I just needed a jump. Apparently, AMA doesn't believe in jump-starting motorcycles. While she was trying to work something out, I started calling cycle shops in Spearfish, hoping to find somebody somewhere who would take pity on me.

Finally, a snowmobile/4-wheeler shop answered at 5:55 and the guy said he'd check and see if one of his mechanics could stop by on the way home. In just a minute, he was back and said that a mechanic was on the way.

When he got to Applebee's, the mechanic was a very young kid (less than 20) driving an old VW Rabbit diesel and all he had was a set of jumper cables. We finally figured a way to hook the cables to my battery and I crossed my fingers that the bike would start without burning up any fuses. It did!

He stayed for a few minutes to make sure it would keep running. I asked how much I owed him and he said, "Oh, nothing. I like to help people." I asked him if I'd insult him if I gave him something and he said that he wouldn't be insulted. So, I gave him $20 and he thanked me and left.

Before he got there, my battery's voltage was about 7.4V. After we started the bike, it was showing 12.5V and slowly, slowly started creeping up. I used my Throttlemeister to hold the engine at about 3K rpm and after 20 minutes it was up to 13.0V.

I rode it to Walgreens, deciding I'd skip Walmart, and by the time I got there, the voltage was up to 13.2V. I crossed my fingers again and left it running while I ran in to fill my abbreviated shopping list. I was nearly out of gas since I'd ridden 235 miles at a "spirited" clip. I went to the Safeway with my fingers still crossed and shut it down long enough to put in 4.805 gallons. It started right up and I headed west on 90 to Sundance and then down WY-585 to US-85 and then Newcastle. I got here while there was still light, but about 30 minutes after sunset. I had been worried about deer and saw plenty (plus about 10 elk) but they were all 40-50 feet off the road and never moved.

So, my learned advice is simple: Turn off the bike with the key, not the sidestand!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You must have left the key in the ignition while you were eating lunch. Off the bike, I always clip my key to a lanyard that is around my neck as I've found that putting the key in one of the many pockets of my riding jacket can often lead to panic when I can't find it!

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Phil I love your stories but I particularly like this one as it proves that there are still some "good" young people around.

The young man in your story was probably taught by his parents that there are more important things than "self" and it gives me GREAT "hope" for the future of mankind.

Good to hear it all worked out well and that you also had a nice ride along the way.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Since I wasn't entirely sure the bike was going to restart if I shut it off, and because by the time I got it running it was getting closer and closer to o-deer-thirty, I didn't even go into the campground.

Next time!

Bike
2011 Black NT700
The wife and I stayed at Chris's Campground a couple of years ago. It was nice and should be a good gathering place.
Clint

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Since I wasn't entirely sure the bike was going to restart if I shut it off, and because by the time I got it running it was getting closer and closer to o-deer-thirty, I didn't even go into the campground.

Next time!
Figured as much, I know it don't take much for you to hop on the bike and go so I wouldn't be surprised if you did that again... minus the issues.

tawilke46

What a trip Phil! Bad luck and good luck on the same day........amazing.
Glad you made it through as easy as you did.
Yeah, there are still some good hearted folks around. Fortunately.

Last edited:
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I have wondered about investing in one of those "pocket jump start battery packs" being advertised, to carry for just such an emergency. I too, usually travel alone. I just can't see how they get 300+ cranking amps in a pack the size of today's phones??

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Just curious, but was there any grade (slight downhill) where you were parked ? I did nearly same thing about a year ago when I stopped to help someone who had crashed. Killed the bike with the clutch, threw the sidestand down and ran to assist. Of course when all was done about 45 minutes later I realized my light was really dim, had it on high beam, so bike would not start. I just remembered my mechanic days, put the bike in 2nd gear, got it coasting down slight hill and popped the clutch. Bike started without hesitation and never had to do anything else with battery. Used that method last summer also when a friends bike was having some charging issues when running high beam all the time. Had to bump start it twice during our trip. One of those times didn't have a hill so I explained to my lady friend what to do as I pushed her in the parking lot and it worked again. Always an option when you cannot find someone to jump it. Talk someone into giving you a push if no hill to coast down.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Interesting DJ. Since you did it I believe you but on other posts it seemed to be the conclusion that you could not jump start the NT since all the systems that depended on a current supply would not work by jump starting. Perhaps the difference is if you have a weak battery vs. a dead battery.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Just a FYI with some fuel injected bikes "bump" starting won't work if the battery is too low. After a low voltage threshold is reached the fuel pump and the injectors are disabled. I found that out when a friend left his ignition on and we couldn't get it to start.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Interesting DJ. Since you did it I believe you but on other posts it seemed to be the conclusion that you could not jump start the NT since all the systems that depended on a current supply would not work by jump starting. Perhaps the difference is if you have a weak battery vs. a dead battery.
Wow, I must have been one of the lucky ones. I turned it off for just a couple minutes while I put some things in the bags and when I turned it on I heard the pump work but it didn't have enough to start so I got it rolling and it took off. It did rolled a bit before firing up though I blamed that on the heat. Will have to be more careful with that issue now that I know that. Think I'll start carrying my homemade cable with alligator clips on it. And I'm bad about killing it with the kickstand and then removing the key like mentioned. Thanks for pointing out the very low voltage thing.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have wondered about investing in one of those "pocket jump start battery packs" being advertised, to carry for just such an emergency. I too, usually travel alone. I just can't see how they get 300+ cranking amps in a pack the size of today's phones??
Dannyjo, those things are amazing. The battery is a bit bigger than a phone (I'd guess mine is 6"X3"X1 1/4". It started my Buick Century with no problem when the battery was too low to light the dome light. You don't have long (maybe 30 seconds) from the time you hook the clips to the battery until you start the car, though. It shuts itself off if there's no current drawn.

And, as you may have guessed since I'm talking about it so knowledgeably, I have one of the things...sitting on my workbench in my garage in Greeley -- 340 miles from Spearfish.

The only other time I did this I was in Colorado Springs and had gone into a Wendy's to eat. That time there was a fairly steep and fairly long hill and I tried starting the bike by rolling down the hill and then easing the clutch out in 2nd gear. No joy. There wasn't enough voltage to run the fuel pump or control the injectors.

Phil, you are supposed to have the battery pack with you, I can say that because both times I needed mine on the bike it was setting on the pickup seat. jim :doh1:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Phil, you are supposed to have the battery pack with you, I can say that because both times I needed mine on the bike it was setting on the pickup seat. jim
Ya, and he is supposed to take his key out too. But I guess he already knows that so I wasn't going to say anything (cause I leave my key in the bike too).

I leave my key in the bike so much that when I do take it out, like in a motel parking lot overnight or when I go to the city, I have a hard time keeping track of what I did with the key. My riding suit has way too many pockets and after much checking I find the key usually in the pocket of an inside garment so I have to dismount and half undress to retrieve the dang key. Any time I lock something the only person locked out is me - almost any thief could get in before I could find my key.

On one of my old Kawasakis that had a bad ignition switch I just installed a toggle switch under the seat area, not visible from the outside, and never worried about the key after that. No sane person would have stolen that bike anyway.

Jim, I made oil cap keys for all the locks soon after I got it and haven't had them out since because I do the same thing if I do take one out.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jim in Wisconsin and Jim in Nebraska, I've got the oil cap keys in my left fairing pocket and in my pannier/seat lock. They never come out, but neither of them are long enough to start the bike. The theory was that nobody could steal my bike if those keys were left there. But then, the ignition key rarely if ever comes out of the ignition (except when I'm in a motel).

My other theory is that nobody would ever steal an NT. I mean, why would they -- nobody would buy them!

I thought about buying another one of the battery packs so I'd have one here, but that's overkill. I probably won't leave the key in the ignition and turned-on for another 5-10 years.

Sigh......

It's tough getting old and senile!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
LOL! One of the good things about the condition is that I haven't heard an old joke in several years now.

Top Bottom