A Ride for Us Flatlanders

tawilke46

Thought I would post a ride that was not in ravishingly beautiful mountainous country. Here is one Southern style…….
Started the ride by crossing the I-10 bridge to the west side of the Mississippi River. Rode river road from Port Allen towards New Roads, which has quite a number of curves in it. Took the new La10 bridge back across to the east side of the Muddy Mississippi. Turned left on to US61 north towards St Francisville turned right on La966 and 965 and rode through some nice lazy curvy shady roads to La10. Rode La 10 from St Francisville all the way to Greensburg. From Greensburg took La43 south to Montpelier. Meandered down to Livingston and La63 to connect with I-12 west back to Baton Rouge and home.

Last edited:
Been on some of those roads. The new bridge was not there but I have ridden on LA10 and around St. Francisville. Lived in Zachary from 84-89.

Brad

The area has some very good riding, if you don't mind some bad road every now and then. I used to ride my bicycle on many roads around St. Francisville and Jackson.

I used to drive some of those roads when I was working in Lafayette as a drill collar inspector in the oil field. I worked on one well that was being drilled near New Roads that was the deepest hole ever drilled onshore in South Louisiana. They hit gas at 19,850 feet and made Amoco a whole bunch of money. I remember those to have been "interesting" roads to drive in the middle of the night when I had been up working for 24-30 hours.

Nice report. Pictures are great. Thanks for the report and it IS an interesting perspective.

It is especially interesting for me since I've never been to the gulf coast. Seems that every time I go south it gets too hot and I turn back north. When it is cooler down there it is too snowy to leave here. But now that I'm retired I may load up my bike this winter and drive south to find some winter riding. As an alternative I may just fly south and rent a bike down there. I've never ridden (or been to) TX, MS, LA, AL, or FL.

Beautiful roads. I was down that way in June, rode to Indianola LA (BB King Museum) then zig-zagged northwest towards the MSTA National Rally in AR. :)

Back
Top Bottom