A rusty lower stearing stem!

Wondering if anyone has seen this. Inspection of the hard to see lower stearing stem-Honda's terminology-by me has discovered that the paint is flaking and there is a lot of what I hope is superficial rust in the area. Can't see it from above; you really have to get under the fairing below the headlight and crane your neck. This is a mess. Question for the learned assembly-is there anything that will get this off without getting into the head bearings? Needs to be repainted but that's going to require really taking some major stuff apart. I can reach most of it by hand so any advice would be appreciated.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I just looked at mine and there is a very small amount of superficial rust visible. Do you have a picture of what you're seeing? It might be different than what I'm looking at. At the most a little sandpaper and Rustoleum spray into the stem.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would suspect this is surface rust that has migrated from inside the hollow steering stem but you did say the paint is flaking also so it is hard to say from here.
You could probably clean it up fairly well with scotch brite pads but a permanent recoat looks difficult without dissassembly.

Brad

OP
OP
I would suspect this is surface rust that has migrated from inside the hollow steering stem but you did say the paint is flaking also so it is hard to say from here.
You could probably clean it up fairly well with scotch brite pads but a permanent recoat looks difficult without dissassembly.

Brad
I think you have hit it on the head. I can't say if the paint failed first but the majority of the rust is centered around the hollow stem. I have seen this before but this is several degrees worse than any I have dealt with. Just a heads up for those in humid environments. Totally preventable if Honda was a little more careful.

Top Bottom