A Tire Size Question

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm not needing tires yet but just thinking ahead. I'm interested in the Dunlop Road Smart 4s and the Conti RoadAttack4 Hyper-Touring tire and I'm noticing that neither of them come in a 150/70 X 17. The smallest rear tires they show are 160/60 X 17.

Will 160s fit an NT? And will a 60 series tire throw speedometer/odometer readings off. With the 150/70 X 17 both readings are more accurate than any vehicle I've ever owned. I'd hate to lose that accuracy.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
No experience with the Road Attack 4's, but I have been using the Road Attack 3's for a couple years now on my NT, they are available in both correct front and rear sizes for the NT and they work great, good handling dry and wet, and good tire life.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The 160's will fit but you will lose accuracy.... just a wee bit..... about 1.5mph at 70...

Mike

Reactions: ett
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I'm not needing tires yet but just thinking ahead. I'm interested in the Dunlop Road Smart 4s and the Conti RoadAttack4 Hyper-Touring tire and I'm noticing that neither of them come in a 150/70 X 17. The smallest rear tires they show are 160/60 X 17.

Will 160s fit an NT? And will a 60 series tire throw speedometer/odometer readings off. With the 150/70 X 17 both readings are more accurate than any vehicle I've ever owned. I'd hate to lose that accuracy.
Phil I got a 160/70-17 on the rear it's a Dunlop Smart 3 I love it, handle is improved over the stock size for me, its a hair taller, speedo reads about 1.5 mph slower at 75 mph but lowers the rpm's by about 150, unfortunately for me they don't make it in the new Dunlop Smart 4 and I'm really not interested in the 160/60 tire size.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

Phil,

I suggest that you stay with the 150/70X17 then. Be advised that I was running into issues with securing a tire that I really wanted and needed quickly. The average lead time was 2-3 weeks to my friendly neighborhood dealer.

This Supply Chain issue is causing a ripple effect throughout every industry and commodity. We all will reach a tipping point at some point. We all can thank our wonderful leaders in the past 40 years for encouraging off-shoring just about everything we use in our daily lives. I am just saying...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - If I were you, I'd search the internet tire retailers several times a week in search of a 150/70 x 17 rear tire in your choice of brand/model. And just because a retailer didn't have one on your first or second or even third go 'round doesn't mean they won't have them later. When I start searching for a tire, I try and hit all the well-known places but don't necessarily gravitate towards only one or two favorite places . I found a tire using that method earlier this year so I have a rear Pilot Road 4 in my garage and it probably won't be installed until Mar-Apr of next year.

I've found that waiting until the tire is down to the wear bars is NOT a good time to start looking for a tire! :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I just bought Dunlop RoadSmart III tires for "Cali" (the California purchased NT). It is one of the very few tires to come in the 150/70-17 size. Bridgestone makes one (Battleax) but that was out of stock everywhere. Michelin has one, but I had those on Cali when I bought it and they wore out in 6K miles. They also ride very stiffly. I really like the Dunlops... a center wear band, and excellent cornering and wet weather traction.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I too have been very happy with the RS3's with longevity, wet traction and handling.

Mike

ett

The 160's will fit but you will lose accuracy.... just a wee bit..... about 1.5mph at 70...

Mike
First; sorry for resurrecting; and hijacking; a nearly two year old thread. ;)
But the topic of this thread is something I was recently experiencing myself.

Due to the supply chain issues that have been occurring for the past 4 years.
With nearly every wear item for my vehicles; filters, coolant, oils, tires, brake pads/shoes, etc ...
I've made it a point to have at least one spare of each item on hand; no matter how long it will be before it will need replacing.

At the beginning of last month I changed the tires on my NT. And I used the spare set I had bought almost a year ago.
While I no longer commute to work; and hence my riding mileage has been reduced greatly. From about 30k per year to maybe 5k per year.
I still tried to buy a spare set of tires before replacing the current, worn out tires.
However; I just could not find any source for NT's stock size of 150/70.
And since inspection was due; I changed the tires without buying a spare set.

Well here it is almost two months later. And I still have not found any 150/70.
AND I could not find any tire, of any model, of any brand that had both front and rear stock sizes for the NT.
If I found a 120/70 for the front; they were out of 150/70 for the rear; if they had 150/70, they were out of 120/70.

So I found recently found this thread. Saw that 160's will fit.
And I saw that Kenda is now making a sport-touring tire; the KM-1; that sounds very much like the Continental Contimotion that I've been using for the past dozen years.
However it only comes in 160/60.
But with the comments in this thread; I decided to take a chance and buy a couple sets of the Kenda KM-1.
I bought a set for my Griso; 120/70 + 180/55; and a set for the NT 120/70 + 160/60.

Using https://tiresize.com/calculator/; I see that the 160/60 is .7 inches shorter than 150/70.
Now with my track bike; Suzuki SV-650s; when I had to switch stock front tire from 120/60 to 120/70.
I had to compensate for the .9 inch height difference by adjusting the fork tubes.

For those of you who have used a 160/60 on the rear of the NT.
Did you notice enough of a handling difference to have to adjust your fork tubes ?

Thanks;
--ET

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The 160/60's work perfectly with no handling issues. You only have a tiny speedo error previously discussed.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Over the weekend, I experienced a shortage of 150/70R-17 rear tires from my local dealer. The part counter guy was able to local a tire. I went in to have them change the tire. They later discovered that the tire was a Bias, not a Radial Tire. Due to tire storage, I was forced into getting the bias tire installed. The service manager, whom I know closely, said I should not be spreading canyon with that tire type, and highway and normal street riding should not exhibit any issues. He discounted the tire for their oversight.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Over the weekend, I experienced a shortage of 150/70R-17 rear tires from my local dealer. The part counter guy was able to local a tire. I went in to have them change the tire. They later discovered that the tire was a Bias, not a Radial Tire. Due to tire storage, I was forced into getting the bias tire installed. The service manager, whom I know closely, said I should not be spreading canyon with that tire type, and highway and normal street riding should not exhibit any issues. He discounted the tire for their oversight.
I found information provided on this website regarding bias tires.

Bias & Radial Tires Information

What I gather is there should not any noticeable to some minor stability issues. The article mentions that tire deforms at high speeds. However, I do not plan to ride DIVA (my NT) at 150 MPH.

I think that I will not experience any issue with my riding style, 85 MPH maximum.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Revzilla and Chapmoto for tires. In stock. I just resupplied my on hand stock.
I also buy my oil and and oil filters via ebay. Much cheaper. Just last fall I bought 3 gals of Honda GN4 10-40 and a package of 8 original honda filters. I'm good for a while.

good morning ,Brillot2000, I am going to do this mod,is there any updates on the bulbs to purchase ,thank you for your time

Top Bottom