A water proof connection

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I ordered the kit too. What kind of heat do I need? I've never had a heat gun and have no idea what to look for. Harbor Freight will probably be where I go to find one.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have a selection of Posi-Lock wire splices (See Here) to avoid soldering and for any roadside repairs. They are quick and easy to use and if properly covered with shrink tubing, or filled with dielectric grease, are waterproof...or at least water resistant anyway. :rolleyes1: I also use the Posi-Tap version to do all the accessory wiring on my bikes and other vehicles and have never had an issue. If you use Posi-Lock connectors you won't need a heat gun, or a soldering iron, so you'll save a bit of money and some space in your tool kit. :wink:

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I found the posi-loc to be bulky in some uses. I have a few different sizes, and have used them many times. I still like this system, and plan on going to this system. I most likely will carry a couple of posi-loc on motorcycle, I never used on a trip, but did give to a rider to do a repair.

You can buy these soldering connectors at a Lowe's and Home Depot, auto stores, etc.

With some practice you can use them with a propane torch or the small butane type torches - it takes a little practice to avoid getting them too hot - too quick which causes the plastic to burn.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Are these only offered in butt splice style? I can see where they would be handy for many people in several farkling situations.
For me though I don't see much advantage over regular solder and heat shrink sleeve.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree about the Posi-Locs making a bulky bundle. Using them on 14 or 16 gauge is OK but anything smaller than that and it's chancy at best. It's been my experience that using them on the tiny gauge wires used on modern bikes is not always a success.

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
Are these only offered in butt splice style? I can see where they would be handy for many people in several farkling situations.
For me though I don't see much advantage over regular solder and heat shrink sleeve.

Brad
I agree with Brad (ARKNT) about solder and heat shrink.

Pick up some electrical grade "silver" solder at your preferred hardware store + several different sizes of heat shrink from the same department. Practice a couple of times sticking two pieces of wire together: First slide the shrink tube a distance up one wire, away from where your heated connection will be. Interweave & twist wire strands of the two wire ends. If they don't pull apart easily, you should be okay. Then apply heat "upstream", one way or the other, from the center of the connection. When the wire is heated by solder gun, or just with a lighter's flame, and the wire reaches the melt temperature of the solder, touch the solder to the wires. The melted solder will "run" along the strands directly to the heat. Yes, it seeks the heat. When you like the connection, slip the insulator (shrink tube) over the connection and heat it (gently) until it shrinks to a water-tight fit.

Sometimes you can trim a couple of strands from the end of each wire to make a smaller "bulge" at the connection point. Just don't overdo the trim job or you'll increase the resistance to electric current.

You'll get it after a couple of tries. If I can do it, any one can do it.

A bit of solder and a few lengths of shrink tube take up no room in your tool kit. And when you have that skill, you'll be amazed at stuff you can fix.

I must add that I like the Posi-Lock option though. I may get some of those just-in-case I'm in the middle of a road through a low-lying swamp/bog on the ALCAN, being devoured by mosquitoes, and fixing a wire broken by the brutal jarring from an unseen frost heave in the road. Oh yeah, it happened! But why did it have to happen to us?

Last edited:
Top Bottom