A Wierd Problem..

Hank From NM

Hi, All;
I've had my NT700 for about 6 months now and I'm having an interesting problem. I'm short, 5'8" with a 29" inseam. The bike that I traded for my NT was a Kawasaki Voyager, a 950 pound touring bike. I had no problem getting it on to and off of the centerstand. I did not anticipate any problems with the NT, which weighs about half of what the Voyager did. One of the first things I did when I got the NT home was put it up on it's centerstand so I could check tire pressures, fluids, & etc. After finishing that job, I hopped on the NT, and rocked it forward to get it off the centerstand. Nothing happened. I tride rocking harder, then throwing all of my weight into it. No joy. When the NT is on its centerstand, and I am on it, my feet barely touch the ground, and I cannot get any traction to push the bike forward to get it down. Anyone that could offer advice or possible solutions is invited, yea, Implored to please reply!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank From NM:p

bicyclist

Anyone that could offer advice or possible solutions is invited, yea, Implored to please reply!
I'm about the same size you are. I put the sidestand down, stand beside the bike and roll it off the centerstand, then lean it onto the sidestand.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I weigh 190 ,or about 220 with full gear and a 30 inch inseam, I can rock off of the center stand if I choose to , and no I am no young and strong, I am 76 years young,
I normally do as George does, standing along side and rock it forward with side stand down. Occasionally when bike is loaded for the road and full of fuel I do have trouble getting it up onto the center stand. One thing that comes to mind is that you might want to try playing with your rear suspension adjustment which might change the responsiveness when on center stand, another thought would be to park with a section of 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood under the front wheel. In the past dealing with a GL 1800 Wing I would often have to use a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the rear wheel to get it up depending on tire size I was running and where I had my rear shock suspension set.

Please let us know if anything helps.

many times I just use the side stand when out and traveling, but at home myparking space is tight enough that I use the center stand about 99% of the time.

Eldon

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I do the same with my 650 pound FJR. It is balanced well enough that it is pretty easy to put on the centerstand, but I pretty much use the centerstand only for maintenance.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I always rocked my 700# Concours off the centerstand. But it was a real booger to get up onto the centerstand. Mostly I don't have too much trouble getting the NT onto the centerstand (although I did for about three months after I whanged my foot on the curb at the beginning of June), but I've never been able to rock it off the centerstand.

So I rock it forward while I'm standing beside it like all the others do.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
If you use the side stand centre stand system. If someone puts your bike on the centre stand and you come to take it off, check the side stand is down first, otherwise you're likely to have a SAD!

Bike
2011 NT
Being a short fellow I've learned to use the passenger foot peg to lift it up on the center stand. And like others I have the side stand down to help stablize it coming down off the center stand. A lot more difficult than the Wing was. So far no SAD.

silverdevil

the Kawasaki Voyager 1200 and the Gold Wing 1500 & 1800 are both different than any other bike when it comes to center stand, they are both VERY EASY to put on the center stand and easy to get off. over time I had 2 different Voyagers and I have had a Wing.
the NT is harder to put on center stand than the Wing and the Voyager, the Voyager is a 2 stage center stand and that is what makes it so easy.
the NT is very hard to put on center stand when fully loaded while on a trip, much easier to take some stuff off 1st. this is also true when taking it off center stand.
I also do like bicyclist does, when on center stand I put the kick stand down then rock the NT forward to get it off the center stand. now I am much younger than EX WINGER, after all I won't be 76 for 2 more months.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I noticed the exact same thing. I think the NT's center stand is a bit more backward lilting than the other bikes I had with a center stand. So while I was able to sit on those bikes and rock them off the center stand, the NT only slides along the center stand when on a smooth surface like my garage floor. I find standing next to the bike the easier way of getting the NT off the center stand.

Hi, All;
I've had my NT700 for about 6 months now and I'm having an interesting problem. I'm short, 5'8" with a 29" inseam. The bike that I traded for my NT was a Kawasaki Voyager, a 950 pound touring bike. I had no problem getting it on to and off of the centerstand. I did not anticipate any problems with the NT, which weighs about half of what the Voyager did. One of the first things I did when I got the NT home was put it up on it's centerstand so I could check tire pressures, fluids, & etc. After finishing that job, I hopped on the NT, and rocked it forward to get it off the centerstand. Nothing happened. I tride rocking harder, then throwing all of my weight into it. No joy. When the NT is on its centerstand, and I am on it, my feet barely touch the ground, and I cannot get any traction to push the bike forward to get it down. Anyone that could offer advice or possible solutions is invited, yea, Implored to please reply!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank From NM:p

OP
OP

Hank From NM

Guys, thanks for the tips. I do have a Kawasaki Voyager 1200, and am familiar with the 2-stagre centerstand. The bike I referred to in my first post was a Kawasaki Voyager 1700 bagger/cruiser, which does not have a centerstand at all. I think that the NT is an inch or two taller than the Voyager 1200, which is part of the problem. I currently do not have enough self-confidence to try to roll the NT off the centerstand onto the sidestand, guess I'll have to develop some. Have a Great Day!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank from NM:rolleyes1:

Last edited by a moderator:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Things that made me more confident with the center stand.
Going up: Make certain both legs are on the ground before you step on. Just rock it a bit I tended to pull the bike toward me and have the right leg just a bit off the ground. Now i just check and it seems to pop right up.
Going down: Side stand deployed hands on left bar and passenger grab rail body in contact with the bike give it just a little rock on level ground it will not try and run away. lower to side stand. Use a spotter for a few times until the muscle memory is there to make you comfortable. The bike weighs more than any of us can keep from going over on our own.

The center stand is too nice a tool to leave unused. It is worth the effort to get it to work for you. Have a great day with your new skill. You can do it and don't be afraid to ask for some help.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Once, a few months ago, I pulled my NT into the shop where I work to do something to it . When finished, I could not get it down and my weight was certainly not the problem. Everyone was gone for the day, as I was actually scraping the shop floor, trying to get it down.
Finally, one of the techs came in from a service call, and he and I both grabbed it and started pulling it forward. Finally, we heard a crunch and it came off the center stand. A small rock have apparently gotten into the folding mechanism somewhere, as I checked and could not find any loose hardware and I've never had the problem again, although it is a rather tall bike to get rocked off the stand. I can understand a smaller person having a problem. I sometimes forget to put the sidestand up, and it is rather tough on the bike and me when it comes down hard on the side stand.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
On certain surfaces if you have the topbox loaded and things in the panniers she can be almost impossible to get off the centre stand. As "dannyjo" says she just scrapes along the floor. You have to unload the bike before you can get her off the centre stand.

The surface which seems to be the worst is a non-slip surface paint for concrete that some petrol stations have.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Any of you guys who think the NT is hard to get onto the centerstand should try a "classic" C-10 Concours like my '99. The NT simply flies up onto its centerstand compared to that.

I think Karl's suggestions were spot on, both for getting the bike onto the centerstand and off of it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[if you have the topbox loaded and things in the panniers she can be almost impossible to get off the centre stand...she just scrapes along the floor.]

The floor in my garage is concrete and quite smooth. When the bike is fully loaded and I want to get it off the centerstand, I sometimes put my left foot in front of the centerstand to keep the bike from sliding as I push it off the centerstand. This requires some care because you need to retain your balance after the both wheels are on the ground. I find it helps greatly to have the sidestand down, plus I always pull slightly to the left so the bike will automatically lean into the sidestand.

I'm 5'6" and have never been able to push off the centerstand from a seated position so for me it's normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hank From NM

The continuing Saga!!
Last weekend, I had the NT in the garage on the centerstand for maintenance, and when the time came to get it down, I tried the 'Stand beside your Lady' way, but I chickened out (still not enough confidence, I guess.) I finally got on the bike, and rocked it forward. It seemed like if I could rock it forward another couple of inches, it would come down, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get it over the fulcrum point. So, I tried again, and as it came to it's 'farthest forward' point, I grabbed the front brake. I then rocked it forward again while releasing the front brake, and it came the rest of the way down. I'm thinking that the attach point for the centerstand may be a few millimeters forward of the attach point on some other bikes (10mm would make a difference). Anyway, I do have a way I can get it down now, and if I develop some more self confidence, I'll have 2! My only concern is the 'double rock' method may be hard on the centerstand, so I'll try not to use it too often. At least though, I have a way to 'get'er down' if I need to. Everyone Have a Great Day!!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank From NM

Top Bottom