ABS "clicking"

Sagittarius

My 2011 NT with ABS now has about 2000 miles on it. Today on a ride I noticed that there is a rotational click-click sound that disappears as soon as I apply the brakes. When I resume from a dead start once again the click-click sound emanates from the front wheel and increases with rotation until I can't hear it because of engine RPM as I upshift. Definitely coming from the front wheel, and definitely goes away applying the brakes. I remember hearing something like this when the bike was new, and the service guy said it was just the ABS breaking in. But why would it disappear for almost 2k miles and then come back? Curious :doh1:

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I just returned from a short ride today I coverd 18 miles, I now have 920 miles . I have never had any clicking noise from mine, If I did my dealers mechanic would be right on top of it. I never experienced any thin like what you describe in 105,000 miles on my Gl1800 A ABS. this doesn't sound right or correct to me. If you have been using this dealer for a long period of time and you trust them with your life fine. I think you have a problem , which means the dealer has a problemIf it were mine I would be camping on thier doorstep or be intouch with tyhe distric rep, or go to another dealership and get a second oppinion

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Check and make sure you have the proper gap between the sensor and the abs ring. Maybe the sensor is hitting the wheel. Is the bike throwing a code. Check service manual for proper gap.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have never heard a clicking out of mine nor does ABS need to "break-in". I would have the dealer checking that out...

elizilla

Another vote for "not normal - make the dealer do something"!

I have 21,000 miles on my NT, which has ABS, and I've never had a sound like that.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Doesn't sound normal to me and I don't believe the ABS braking in part either. I would take a good close look at the front wheel including the brakes. There could be something that has loosened up. It could be as simple as some trash/dirt caught in caliper. Might try bike on center stand and manually spin wheel so you can get close to what is making the noise. There are many possibilities, but since applying the brakes changes the noise I would look or have it looked at very soon.

Brad

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
One more vote for you have a problem that will not cure itself.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I won't even bother to vote...But I agree with everybody else.

OP
OP

Sagittarius

Well, despite the anonymity of the Internet I value all the feedback and the bike is going to the dealer today. There is a lesson here for me - while I take a libertarian approach and to each their own, for me (and at my age) safety is paramount. So thanks to all of you for voting back to the dealer and away it goes. I'll update things later once I know what it was. You have been heard.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
ABS break-in? Oh boy. If you have the chance, you may want to ask that the mechanic that offered that reason NOT work on your bike. I would seriously question his expertise. No such thing.

Based on your description I would first check for any stones stuck in the tread of your tires. That or a nail/screw easily could cause such a sound. If that checked out to not be the problem, I would lift the front wheel and rotate and check for noise. I'd also be trying to feel any resistance of the rotation. A slight rubbing sound by the brake pads is normal. Likely sources would be rotors or bearings.

I'd also give the steering head bearings a quick test to make sure there isn't any slop there.

Good luck and please let us know what is found!
Well, despite the anonymity of the Internet I value all the feedback and the bike is going to the dealer today. There is a lesson here for me - while I take a libertarian approach and to each their own, for me (and at my age) safety is paramount. So thanks to all of you for voting back to the dealer and away it goes. I'll update things later once I know what it was. You have been heard.

OP
OP

Sagittarius

Those of you who suspected contamination in the pads were right. After removing the caliper and pads, cleaning, and re-assembling noise is gone. My test ride confirmed same. Perfect weather here tomorrow - going for a nice long ride to celebrate having the NT back in the garage. Glad it was better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Top Bottom