Achy left knee - adjustable footpegs

timonbik

Put a Corbin seat on the NT. Absolutely love it as does the DW on the pillion. Taken care of all butt related discomfort however it has changed my seating position in such a manner that I now get a sore left knee. Right knee is fine. The stock Honda pegs have a slight bend back, perhaps 5 degrees.
I think if I straightened the peg out so that it would be 90 degrees to the bike and perhaps moved it forward a few cm it might relieve the discomfort.
Was wondering if anyone has tried the adjustable pegs available from Hong Kong on Ebay for approx. $50. They have 2 models, one with a 25 mm adjustment and the other with 40. Think 25 would do the trick.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
You may also find that different boots feel different on the same pegs too. The did for me.

OP
OP

timonbik

You may also find that different boots feel different on the same pegs too. The did for me.
This too might be an issue, although I am wearing the same boots that I always have. I find if I concentrate and keep my foot inline with the bike my knee is much better. I'm thinking I have to grind down the left peg stop (cam) so that it straightens out and is 90 degrees to bike which should keep my foot straighter. Getting old sure sucks!!!!
Cheers, Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Interesting, Tim.
It seems that the slight angle of the footpegs is to keep your foot inline with your knee and femur as your knees are apart around the fuel tank.
If your foot is straight ahead, inline with the bike's centreline, you would actually be a little pidgeon-toed.
A change of height or reach to the footpeg I can understand but I think that the angle is correct.
If you look at the pillion pegs they are at 90 Degrees but that is because the passenger probably has their knees closer together.
Just my thoughts.

Macka

OP
OP

timonbik

Interesting, Tim.
It seems that the slight angle of the footpegs is to keep your foot inline with your knee and femur as your knees are apart around the fuel tank.
If your foot is straight ahead, inline with the bike's centreline, you would actually be a little pidgeon-toed.
A change of height or reach to the footpeg I can understand but I think that the angle is correct.
If you look at the pillion pegs they are at 90 Degrees but that is because the passenger probably has their knees closer together.
Just my thoughts.

Macka
It does seem natural but you always have to twist your foot in to shift. No other bike that I have owned (there have been many) has had the
the footpegs angled back like the NT.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
It does seem natural but you always have to twist your foot in to shift. No other bike that I have owned (there have been many) has had the
the footpegs angled back like the NT.
Agreed but I thought that it was Hondasan getting it right. I have never felt that there was anything uncomfortable or unnatural and I don't have any shifting problems.
I wonder if anyone else has thoughts.

Macka

OP
OP

timonbik

Has anyone fitted Buell footpegs to the NT? They apparently provide some drop. Heard about them on a MG forum.
Cheers, Tim

Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
I get pain in my left knee (damn arthritis) after riding for about an hour or 2. I’m thinking about buying the MCL foot pegs. Wondering if 1) they’ll help since my leg will be extended and 2) if they’re easy to install. Or would I be better with the Mick-o-pegs and if so, are they easy to install. I don’t want to start cutting and grinding my bike as I am certain that wouldn’t end well for me (or more importantly, the bike)!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I had a similar knee issue after I installed the Sargent LoProfile seat. The MCL foot peg lowering kit solved the problem for me. +1 on getting old.

Bike
2011 NT700VA
I have the MCL peg brackets on my bike, I'm 6'4" and they made it much more comfortable. You do have to lower the shifter, easy, and the brake pedal, a little more difficult. I have a post with pictures on the brake pedal procedure. I too have heard the MCL may be out of business/slow to respond, so call, not web order.

Best,

Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
Thanks Mark. Where would I find your "brake pedal procedure"? I saw 2 photos re: lowering the pedals but that wasn't as insightful as I had hoped. :)

Bike
Silver NT700VA
Had some of 5he same problems. Got Mick-O-Pegs. They do not lower your current pegs, but swing down so that you can change your position to avoid that 2 hr throbbing.

Bike
2010 red NT
Noticed this problem since I installed the Corbin.i have a set of lowering blocks from the Versys, going to see if they can be made to fit.

Top Bottom