Across Washington and Back

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I made a three day trip from eastern WA to Puget Sound and back (800+). All but 4 miles on two lane "Blue roads". The mission was to get a custom seat made at Rich's in Kinston WA (seat covered in Seats/Backrest Technical Forum).

I left Spokane first thing and enjoyed the 50 degree dry and sunny morning weather through wheat country on Hwy 2 (sun on my back). Wheat country turns to hilly, dry scab land. Lots of twisties and up/down. Along and over the Columbia River following fruit orchards to Leavenworth. Leavenworth is a Bavarian type town at the start of the Cascade Mts. After 200 miles it is Bratwurst time at the Biergarten (at the end of the big building beneath the peak in the picture). (No beer/Motorcycling - so just an excellent Brat.)

Trip through the Cascades is a scenic winding ride with parts shaded by trees. Over Stevens Pass and eventually exiting the mountains following the Skykomish River. I took a secondary road north before I got to I-5 and was surprised to find much of it rural. About 75 miles north of Seattle I turned west on Rt 20 and headed for Whidbey Island. There is a bridge that crosses Deception Pass. Whidbey island is a nice place and they had a 2 night room for me at the Naval Air Station.

Total for the day was 350 miles and 53.4 mpg.

My plan was to get up in the morning and ride the 17 miles to the Ferry terminal. Thirty minute ferry ride and a 40 minute ride to Rich's. I had not counted on fog... I got to the ferry terminal on time but the ferry maneuvered off shore until the visibility increased to 1/4 mile. That delayed me 30 minutes. The highlight of the 30 odd miles from Port Townsend to Kingston was passing what I thought was another NT going in the opposite direction.

Rich completed my seat at 3:30 and I was able to catch the 4:40 ferry at Port Townsend. Just as we left I started to worry about losing my NT to pirates (see photo - included largely for Sailariel).

Departed Whidbey Island in the morning over Deception Pass and followed Rte 20 east. Route 20 is the North Cascades Highway. It is scenic, twisty and the only bad thing I have heard is that there are too many RVs. In my case there was very little traffic. This time of year the mountains are cool, dry and have very few insects. Exiting the North Cascades I stopped at Winthrop (western motif town) for lunch (had the Fajitas special at Carlos'). The remaining 200 miles was sunny and hot (mid 90's). These are popular motorcycle roads and I saw many.

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Such good country you have to ride in! I love that / those roads headed north on the east side of I-5, they are just delightful.

Also the North Cascade Highway is a jaw-dropper. Thanks for sharing.

Peace2U_2

i just want to compliment all of you that post the road trip reports....this one included :).....just so amazing to hear about your experiences and see all the great photos. Think i've said it before...but, will say it again... for those of us that stick closer to home with our NT's due to family responsibilities and get away for shorter periods of time....these trip reports are a DREAM. cannot get enough of them.....so, keep them coming everyone..... some of us live temporarily vicariously through you :).......and know that when the day will come....we will already have LOTS of great ideas on where to road trip to...... double :)

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Nice Photos, you live in a beautiful part of our world thanks for sharing.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
OK. Now I have to add another line to my future rides list! Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Frosty, in the Port Townsend area, you may have passed me on my NT. I've made the trip a few times over highway 20 to Winthrop. For those thinking of coming here, this specific road is the number one rated motorcycle trip in Washington. Just a lovely, lovely road. There is one section where there are no facilities--homes, gas stations, etc--for about 50 miles, just going through well maintained mountain roads. Thanks for your report.

Terry

Frosty, I meant to ask you about your new seat. I had Rich do my about a year ago. Nice shop isn't it? Expensive but he does a true craftsman work. I finished last week a trip to Harrison Hot Springs just north of you in Canada with my wife on the back and she is totally comfortable on the back and using the top box as her back rest.

Terry

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Terry,

I was hoping the person that I passed was on the site. Thanks for the wave. I only recognized the bike as an NT as we passed.
I did have fun at Rich's and you are right about him being a craftsman. I met couples there from BC and Sweden as well as US riders. I thought the additional cost was a value considering the personal fitting.

jsims

Frosty/Banjoboy--you both might have seen me on my silver NT. I live in Poulsbo about 8 miles from Riche's Shop. Jerry

jsims

Yes, I am a Snow Bird and getting ready to fly south to Tucson. I am own my way now for a camping trip to Cape Disappointment in south western Wa. to see Lewis & Clarks last camp site before they headed back east. I did the Hwy 20 ride from Port Townsend to Republic, Wa. for the Wa. State BMW Rally in July. I always attend all the BMW Rallies in Wa. and Oregon. The Chief Joe Rally in eastern Or. is a great area to visit--around John Day, Or. I will be back next Summer. Take care and watch out for the deer. Jerry

prof98801

Frosty,

Can you post some pictures of your customized seat so we can see what the seat looks like after Rich is through? Thanks.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
nice pics! for a few years i lived on the west side of the cascades in kirkland, and remember driving stevens [*** many times and always got a kick out of leavenworth. i didn't ride back then, but going from seattle to coeur d'alene now on the NT seems like it would be such a great ride. thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom