Added a new windscreen much taller.

no1gtkid

I added a new windshield on the NT. Will get pics later after I install the Throttle lock and givi box some time this coming week.

taldric

Which windshield did you get? I used a Cee Bailey +2 last year, but I found it not tall enough, so this spring I purchased a Cee Bailey +6. What a great difference for a tall person like me!

The odd thing about the NT is the still air envelope really changes as you change the windshield positions. I had kinda forgot this until last weekend when I for no particuliar reason moved the +2CB to the lowest position just as an experiment. Then up one and one and one and with each movement I seemed to get a different motorcycle. Lowest and I was back to sport bike days. Each one up a little more protection and a heavier feel to the front and the whole bike in general. Most entertaining. I think I will get someone's +6 and put it in the lowest postion and try this experiment again.

OP
OP

no1gtkid

It is a 21" high windshield cee bailey light gray tint new flip version.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I do like the CB +6. I rarely put it in the 4th or top positions. When I get to the twisties I do put it all the way down.

The thing I like a lot about it is how much closer it is to the helmet in all positions. I may have some wind noise but rarely any buffeting.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hey, Charlie, I saw a Moto Guzzi California today. In the back of a pickup.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Cool. Not very usual place to see one. Most Guzzi folks take great pride in riding everywhere and doing their own maintenance.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, I cut him some slack, because he was also towing a boat behind the pickup. Figured he might be moving.

My favorite Guzzi guy was an old man I met in Winfield, KS, one evening back in 2000. I was gassing up to head on west to Medicine Lodge on my way home from Arkansas and this little old man walking kinda' like Tim Conway's little old man saw my license plate and quavered, "Colorado...I rode my motorcycle all over Colorado." Figuring it had probably been an Indian back in the 30s, I said, "Oh? When was that?"

"Last suimmer." I was shocked and asked him what he had. "Moto Guzzi." I told him I loved Moto Guzzis and used to pretend that my V-twin Silverwing was a Goose. He laughed and told me had one he was restoring at his shop downtown. I followed him downtown into his (closed-for-good) jewelry store and saw the frame, instruments and wheels to an El Dorado (?) from the 70s. I visited him a couple of times after that and got to see the one he toured Colorado on -- can't remember the name, but it had a 3-speed automatic transmission and luggage, the finished restoration, plus a barn full of old bikes he and his son were working their way through one at a time. They had a whole passel of Triumphs, some of the little Italian Harley Davidsons, a couple of Norton frames.

He also was one of the mainstays of the stationary steam-engine movement in the US. Seems he was one of the few people who would restore gauges from those things with authenticity and functionality. My cousin in Winfeild thinks he died a few years ago. Probably went out riding a Goose!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nice.

The automatics are two-speeds and called Converts.

There are only a few different frames used on Guzzis (and just as few engine/transmission combos). The early ones, we call them Loop frames, Eldorado and Ambassador, early 70's. Then came the Tonti frame, originally designed as a race frame and started with the first LeMans model. That frame is still used on California's. Then came the spine frames. Then the "modern bikes" came on the scene in about 2006 or so (maybe 2005).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The one Mace was restoring was an Eldorado. The day after I saw it after he finished the restoration, I stumbled onto a vintage mc shop in Wichita. I walked in the owner was having a loud argument with another man. First thing I saw was a Moto Guzzi Eldorado just like Maces. I wsa standing there looking at it when the owner came up and asked "what hell do you want?"

I told him I was just looking and that I'd seen a bike just like the one I was looking at the day before. He exploded, "You must have been looking at the piece of cr*p that Mace Austin has. His is just terrible. This one is perfect." I shrugged and told him they looked pretty similar to me. He told me he wasn't going to talk to me any more since I obviously didn't know anything about old bikes. I asked if he minded if I looked around more and he told me I could look, even if I wouldn't know what I was looking at.

A year later I visited Mace again and told about this guy. He laughed and said, "That old man (who might have been ten years younger than Mace) is such a grouch!"

Bike
2010 Red NT700v
Which windshield did you get? I used a Cee Bailey +2 last year, but I found it not tall enough, so this spring I purchased a Cee Bailey +6. What a great difference for a tall person like me!
Taldric- how tall are you?
I just got an NT and am looking into taller windshields. I'm 6'1" w/a33" inseam. If the shield isn't tall enough, the wind whistles through the vent in the top of my helmet :-(

slider

I just put on a light tint +2. Absolutely perfect for this 5'10" 32 inseamer, Looks fantastic and 2nd or 3rd up is all I'll probably ever need. Thought Cee Bailey made them a little wider but guess not. Cool flip at the top though.

slider

Hmm, maybe taller ones are wider? I know stock size doesn't even get a curve.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've only ordered +4". The first one, back in the spring of '10, didn't have the curve. That's been added since fall of '10 or early '11.

slider

Yeah if you get the 15" it still doesn't get a curve. Weird I would think that would be the only selling point. I must have put mine on too tight it's harder to adjust.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If you look at the OEM windscreen, there's a flat area molded into the screen at the attachment points. On CeeBailey's screens, that's not there. On the very first screens they made, the holes were the same distane apart as the OEM screen, but the absence of those flats distorted the angle of the mounting brackets and they were very hard to adjust. Later screens mostly had an adjusmetn to the distance between holes that improved adjustability.

However, CeeBaileys have suffered from one other repeated defect. They're not all the thickness that they need to be. My second screen rattled in the mounts because the shoulder on the bolt was thicker than the screen. I tried shimming it with bicycle tire inner tube, and that worked for a while but that screen eventually cracked while riding in a quartering headwind at about 80mph on the Cimarron Turnpike in Oklahoma. 100mph tape held it together until I got home and Cee Bailey replaced the screen. The screen I have now feels as if it's the right thickness, but a crack propogated out of the upper right mounting bolt hole. It grew to a couple inches long before I got home and stop-drilled it. It's stayed the same since then, even when I was riding in very strong crosswinds on my way to Texas and back.

BTW, all the CeeBailey screens are identical until up near the top. Then the height of the screen that's greater than stock is where the curve begins. Someone had bought a taller screen than he needed and trimmed the bottom, using the top two holes as his new bottom mounting holes. That sounds like a good idea to me. It gives you the curve with a shorter screen and makes for less rain blowing through the cutout on the bottom of the screen its up a bit.

slider

I got it all figured out. Just went 60 miles from a steady 55 to triple digits here and there. Quite an improvement over stock.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
My 6' 1" tall, 34" inseam body has been enjoying a recently installed +4 light tint CB.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bob, what's the masking tape do for the installation process?

Top Bottom