Adding Headlight Firepower

I see where our motorcycles have stock 55w lights, and am considering using something like a OSRAM H7 Hyper/Rally 70/65 bulb.

However after doing some reading on this site ~~ http://easternbeaver.com/ I now think that employing a heavy-duty headlight wire harness might, in fact, do a better job of increasing the night time lumens. I know that a couple of you have used this site before.

Has anyone had any luck with changing bulbs for better lighting?

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I run those bulbs on my ST with no extra wiring and have been doing so for 2 years now. No issues at all. I know it's not the same as the ST but the electrical system probably isn't much different.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Are our headlight bulbs H-4? I'm too lazy to go out and look.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was pretty sure they weren't H-4s (the H-4s are dual-filament). I have tried to figure out how clumsy me will be able to reach in there and take out a bulb -- much less putting a new one back in.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Just ordered a H7 35W 5000k DDM slim HID kit for my NT both low and high beam. I will do a write up when I do the install. They draw 6A at start up and 3.4A running plus they are only 35w meaning I free up 40w for more lighting. By being 35W they also put off less heat then stock bulbs and have at least 2x the output power.

Before any of you ask, yes I will keep the stock bulbs on the bike incase of failure.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I replaced both high and low beam with Silverstar Ultra's last week. High beam was replaced from the top by reaching down without removing anything and low beam was replaced by reaching up from the bottom. Both were replaced with in twenty minutes. It is not easy and you do loose a little skin but it is possible. The secret is the position in which you hold you tongue.
Ron

suprtpr

I replaced both high and low beam with Silverstar Ultra's last week. High beam was replaced from the top by reaching down without removing anything and low beam was replaced by reaching up from the bottom. Both were replaced with in twenty minutes. It is not easy and you do loose a little skin but it is possible. The secret is the position in which you hold you tongue.
Ron
You said the high beam replaced from the top and low beam from the bottom. On my NT the low beam is on the top (and most pics and vids show it this way)
You might be mistaken, but it got me thinking....because both bulbs are H7s and low beam illuminates one bulb and high beam illuminates both, what would it look like if you put the high beam wire on the low beam bulb, and the low beam wires on the high beam bulb. Because the high beam part of the housing lets out more light, in theory the low beam would be brighter and the high beam (illuminating both beams) would be just as bright as the high beam currently is.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The reflector for low beam has a cutoff for light across the horizon to help prevent blinding oncoming drivers...

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I decided to try the Raybrig Whitesonic H7, WebbikeWorld gave them a pretty good plug. Keep ya'll posted on how the work out.

Tiger 650

Is anybody using Hella H7 100W bulbs? I would like to try them, but I am afraid they will melt either the lens and/or wiring.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I am still waiting on the HID kit to get here, they gave me a tracking number but its not valid so i need to contact them. It is USPS tracking though, so never know with them. Once I get it I still need a fuzeblock so I can wire my DC jack and handwarmers to the keyed power along with the HID's

Tiger 650

HID would add more firepower with less wattage and more light with less cost then the Hella
The Hella H7 100W bulbs are $9.00 a piece. Worth investing $20 if they don't burn anything out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Been my experience with japanese vehicles in the past that the wiring/housing can't handle anything more then 55w

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
The 55W HID provide 60% more than the halogen. I think you'll have problems with blinding on coming vehicles. 100W is also illegal in most states so you might have a problem with blinding any LEOs
In the same regard aftermarket HID's are technically considered illegal in some jurisdictions as well. But in the case of better lighting I will go with HID over halogen any day.

Tiger 650

The 55W HID provide 60% more than the halogen. I think you'll have problems with blinding on coming vehicles. 100W is also illegal in most states so you might have a problem with blinding any LEOs
How much do these HID kits cost? Are they rtelatively easy to install? There is so much you can do to improve your visability from the front. I just want to do so in the most economical way.
Thanks!
Bob

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
In the same regard aftermarket HID's are technically considered illegal in some jurisdictions as well.
Just a FYI... Actually all aftermarket HID conversion kits are illegal in all US jurisdictions as none of them are DOT approved. If the person you are buying them from claims they are legal ask them for the DOT approval number and a copy of the approval...

Some localities, like mine, are just a bit more prone to enforce the law due to the street racer wannabes blinding everyone with their poorly aimed bluish / purple tint lights. If you stick to around 4500K you will have "white" light and shouldn't attract as much unwanted attention...

Top Bottom