Adjust rear brake light switch . . .

Bike
Silver NT700VA
Discovered my brake lights don't work when the rear brake peddle is depressed. Assume it is the rear brake light switch. Is there an easy way to adjust the rear brake light switch? That is without draining the fluid & removing the master cylinder.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes, but it requires patience and you must hold your tongue just right. You can squeeze a wrench in there to adjust the switch but you can only turn it about 1/16 of a revolution at a time. Make sure the exhaust is completely cool when you do this... this is the voice of experience talking to you.

Mike

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
When I went through this, I found the switch is connected to the brake pedal by a spring. Holding the body of the switch stationary, you can then rotate the adjustment nut located about an inch above the spring. The nut reminded me of a gear with many teeth, instead of having the typical flats for a wrench go on. It is not very "friendly" to access, but the nut is plastic and I was able to turn my with just my finger(s). If I remember right, pushing up on the nut moved the switch away from the pedal.

+1 on the cool exhaust!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had to loosen or remove the bolts for the large bracket that holds the footpegs on the right side. With that bracket loose, I was able to get my fingers on the adjuster. Doing it through that cutout in the bracket is akin to building a sailing ship in a bottle!

OP
OP
Orangebob
Bike
Silver NT700VA
Thanks much to all! I kinda thought that loosening the bolts would help. One last thing . . . Which way - clockwise or counter?

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Thanks much to all! I kinda thought that loosening the bolts would help. One last thing . . . Which way - clockwise or counter?
Looking from the end of the switch where the wires come out, turn the nut clockwise to move the switch farther away from the pedal. Wish I had thought of DirtFlier's suggestion about the footpeg bracket... Save some Houdini like contortions! :)

Top Bottom