Aerostich Roadcrafter comments/questions...

Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
I've owned a Roadcrafter over a month now. I'm decidedly undecided about whether I love it or hate it. I'm just wondering how the rest of you Roadcrafter fans felt after you first started wearing one.

On the plus side, all that stiff, heavy fabric and stiff armor really gives you a sense of confidence. Like if something bad happens, you just might have a chance at surviving it. On the minus side, all that stiff, heavy fabric feels like stiff, heavy fabric that makes it hard to move around and tires you out on a long day.

I'm impressed with the temperature range that the suit is capable of handling. Yesterday I rode in 95 degree temps with fairly high humidity somewhat comfortably after I soaked my shirt in water and opened the vents. When I purchased the Roadcrafter in May, temps were considerably cooler and I didn't really have to think too much about what to wear underneath it. They were obviously designed to handle a large range of Minnesota weather.

I hate the collar. Any sidewind blows the collar up against my face. I can never get it to lay flat enough so that it doesn't interfere with my helmet. Very aggravating. There needs to be some velcro or a snap to hold the collar down. And when the weather was cooler, it just wouldn't work for me in the "up" position, either. Too big around the neck, and the velco strap just didn't seem to take up the slack properly. Fortunately, I get to the Duluth, MN area fairly often so I will stop back at Aerostich and see if there are any adjustments or mods that they can make.

I got a gray suit with hi-viz yellow ballistics. Haven't had any issues with other drivers pulling out in front of me while wearing it.

On one hand, after spending all that money I really want to love the suit, but I don't. On the other hand, I really feel exposed without it, and don't want to ride without it. I know I need to be patient about the stiffness, so I expect that part to improve. Is my experience typical?

Thanks,

Kevin

elizilla

The stiffness will improve quickly.

The collar is just like that, unfortunately - I couldn't close it tight enough even before the velcro got tired. And they wouldn't fix it - I did ask. They sell a wind triangle that fills in the gap, and I bought one, but didn't like it - too stiff, and the velcro closure tangled in the hair at the back. I found I preferred a plain old turtle fur for winter, and a neck tube cut from the leg of some old lycra tights for summer. Even with my current custom leathers and their far more perfect fit, the collar chafes my neck, so I have continued to wear neck tubes. The neck tubes help a lot. I've seen a thing called a "buff" that is basically a neck tube that doesn't require you to chop up your girlfriend's gym clothes. :)

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V, Silver ABS
Many thanks for your insights. I only have about 1500 miles on the suit, so I'll just have to be patient and keep riding until I can get it loosened up. The neck tube sounds like an great idea.

Thanks,

Kevin

elizilla

I have worn out at least 3 one piece Aerostich suits and one two piece.

Best point to point suit you can buy----maybe not totally waterproof at times----even good to sleep in.
It's true - when I had my one-piece roadcrafter there were numerous occasions when i didn't bother to set up my tent. I just laid down on a picnic table and slept in it.

Not good to walk around in....go shopping
One advantage of the leathers, is that they don't draw the stares like the 'stich did, when I'm walking around a store. Or if they do, they're more respectful stares. :)

I think new one piece lite suit has improvements---zipper and neck. Also new easier to roll up and carry.
I like the looks of it too.

One more plus----suit up----ride all day----you can handle rain/snow/sleet, etc without stopping to change or add clothes. Last Sun I rode 600 miles in and out of rain, no suit, had to stop twice to put rain suit on and twice more to take off as it got too hot.
My 'stich leaked at the neck and the crotch, but if was not too cold I would just live with the wet, since it dried so quickly. I put a rainsuit over it if it was cold and rainy, though.

I liked pairing the 'stich with the heated jacket, because then I never had to layer up or down for the changing temps, either - just dial the controller up and down. This is especially good in the mountains, where the temps can change very quickly.

I found suit good service life about 100,000 miles-----then ebay, some idiot will buy it to look like he rides a lot.
Yeah, that's about what I got out of mine. I didn't sell it, though - just shoved it to the back of the closet for a while, and eventually gave it away to someone who didn't have any better riding gear. He's still wearing it. He has torn it in several places, and collected more grimy stains than I ever did. It looks ready for the rag bag. A couple weeks ago I helped him replace two broken zipper pulls. Still better for him than no gear at all.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I finally decided to buy my second 'Stitch, one of the drivers was the fact that they were finally making them in sizes larger than 48. I think they're up to 52s, now but my 2nd suit was a 50 Short with arms and legs shortened, elipses and gussetts added. Another driver was that my wife encouraged me to get a new one...she thought I'd be able to keep it clean. Wrong!

I have decided that if I buy another one, I'll give up on the silver ballistics on the Hi-Viz Yellow. Rick's black ballistics sure look better.

I sold my 8-year-old, 100,000 mile "veteran" suit to a COG member for $200 and we were both happy.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I wish I had known about Aerostich before spending $$$$ on the 'other stuff'. Was at the VBR II in 2008, got fitted for my two piece. I LOVE IT. Took a good month and about 2500 miles before it loosened up, and now it is perfect.

Cannot imagine wearing anything else anymore.

We do get the stares, though. Some folks think I'm a fire fighter (why would I wear bunker gear to the grocery store??) and some chicklette at Lowe's the other day thought I was a welder. (Well, yes, I do know how to weld and I have welding equipment at home, but ummm...)

I wash my suit once a year when riding season is over. Spouse kinda likes the bugs and crud... but I did send his back for a zipper issue. They replaced the zipper pulls, front velcro, the soft neckband material, and washed it. he was sad that his bug collection was now gone, but it does smell better. lol.

The new light and ultra light suits look intriguing. But, I can't justify getting one right now, as I need new boots and a helmet and my 'stich is only three years old.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I am just not sure what my coworkers would think if I showed up in a banana suit :)
Its the Power Ranger look. My co workers just laugh at me sometimes. Especially when its pouring rain out and I'm dripping water all over the carpet and my boots are covered in mud. Then I walk over to where I hang my suit, step out of it and I'm in a skirt. Hmmm..... new fashion look: skirt and well used Sidi motorcycle boots.

Kalleanka

Just got my 'Stitch last night, and rode to work this morning with it. Its a lot tighter than I initially imagined it, I used the fitting tool (twice) but I wonder if I need to go one size up or just wait for it to soften a little. I found it hard to move around in, and even made me stiff on the bike. I wore jeans and a light sweater underneath (work building is cold). Tried to use the pockets, but its so stiff/tight that nothing would fit comfortably. Maybe I'll roll it daily and wait a few weeks before sending it back for another size.

I would really like to have it as a 3 season suit, so I bought the original instead of the light-weight suit. And I live in Oregon, so one must be prepared for any weather condition.

Kalleanka

Took your advice and called. They will ship me out a 40R instead of the 38R I had ordered. It has to be made, so now I get to wait some more. *sigh*

Mattb

Just bit the bullet and ordered a Roadcrafter 1 piece. I opted for the regular Roadcrafter instead of the Light because it comes with most of the pads installed and it's a heavier material.

I'll post comments and photos once I receive it (2-3 weeks).

Same color scheme as the Roadcrafter Light in this video:

[video=youtube;4nknhqMLXgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nknhqMLXgc[/video]

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The entry/exit design is pretty slick!

Just bit the bullet and ordered a Roadcrafter 1 piece. I opted for the regular Roadcrafter instead of the Light because it comes with most of the pads installed and it's a heavier material.

I'll post comments and photos once I receive it (2-3 weeks).

Same color scheme as the Roadcrafter Light in this video:

[video=youtube;4nknhqMLXgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nknhqMLXgc[/video]

tawilke46

I just got a Aerstich Roadcrafter Light. I really like how it looks. However, I am having trouble getting the top zipper pulls to engage the zipper. Especially when trying to actually get the suit on. My short vision is not the best, so it is difficult to see what I am doing. I can usually get the bottom zipper pull engaged, but can't pull the other down far enough to engage the zipper. I pull up on the left zipper and down on the pulls.
I have lubricated the pulls and the zipper with some teflon lubricant, and it seems to help some. It is still difficult.
May try starting the center zippers and unzipping the top portion low enough to allow me to get in the suit.
Aerostich is also sending me some lubricant.
Once the suit gets broken in I am hoping the zippers will work a lot easier.

Mattb

My new Roadcrafter came today and I love it! It's a little stiff, of course, and it took a few attempts to get the zipper started but once zipped up it's a perfect fit!.

I am concerned a little about the warm-weather usability, but I haven't ridden in it yet and I don't even know which zippers are pockets and which are vents. :)

I'll post a photo later this evening.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I've got two one-piece 'stiches and for some applications they're unbeatable. One thing I can pass along regarding the stiffness of new ones, remove the armor and run the suit in the dryer on tumble dry or low heat for an hour or so. This is what the factory people advised me to do when I got my 1st one and it worked great, it came out a lot softer and more pliable.

I've never experienced leaking at the crotch like I've heard so much about and wonder if it's because I use a fairly large tank bag? I'm thinking that may deflect enough of the rain water that it doesn't create a problem.

When it comes to hot weather (really hot) I use an anti-dehydration vest. They're cheap - $30 - $45 for most brands and they work great, just soak them in water, wring them out a bit and wear them under your suit over a T-shirt. In temps over 100 degrees they'll go for a couple of hours before drying out and the first 20 mins you'll actually be cold.

I agree with the observations from some of the others here, that you look a bit different in a full-body suit like the 'stich but there's so many of them around most people grasp the fact you're a bike rider. Having said that I admit my red/black one gets a lot more attention than my grey/black one. It's true, if you're going shopping it's nice to remove it and cable it to your bike. I've wrestled with this problem since day-one and have finally decided the right choice for me is one of the new Darien Lite outfits in HiViz jacket with black pants. FedEx says it will arrive this afternoon and if it turns out to be as nice as I expect it I'll be selling one of the one-pieces. Size 40 short, $450 shipped for anyone interested.

LL75

Attachments

tawilke46

I still have not had the opportunity to get into my 'Stich Light and take it for a spin on the NT. Right arm injury is keeping me out of riding very much at all. The initial break in run will have to wait until around June. Here are some photos of the 'Stich Light:
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/New Aerostitch Light Riding Suit/IMG_0521.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/New Aerostitch Light Riding Suit/IMG_0519.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/New Aerostitch Light Riding Suit/IMG_0515.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/New Aerostitch Light Riding Suit/IMG_0518.jpg

elizilla

I've never experienced leaking at the crotch like I've heard so much about and wonder if it's because I use a fairly large tank bag? I'm thinking that may deflect enough of the rain water that it doesn't create a problem.

When it comes to hot weather (really hot) I use an anti-dehydration vest. They're cheap - $30 - $45 for most brands and they work great, just soak them in water, wring them out a bit and wear them under your suit over a T-shirt. In temps over 100 degrees they'll go for a couple of hours before drying out and the first 20 mins you'll actually be cold.
My theory about the crotch leak is this: If, when you sit on the bike, the 'stich creases in such a way that it forms a spot for water to pool in, that water will eventually find its way into the suit. If the suit fits tightly at the place where your body bends in the middle, not only can you not avoid have a crease for water to pool in, you will also be stressing the seams in the crotch, and the zipper, which will make the leak worse. If the suit is roomy in this area, and you have enough fabric that you can adjust how it folds there, in such a way to keep water from pooling, you may never have any trouble. If your big tank bag blocks the pooling, that works too. Or if you stand up periodically to dump out the water from that pool, before it can find its way into the suit, this will also help.

Zipping my ladylike figure into a suit cut for a man, made it impossible to stop the pooling, and stressed those seams a lot. It wasn't bad at first, but once the suit got a little worn, it leaked enough that in heavy rain the water pooled inside the suit as well as outside. It was like sitting in a puddle, and once it started to pool inside the suit and under my butt, standing up would pour it down my pant legs and into my boots.

Since the 'stich dries fast and doesn't get damaged by water, I would just let it soak through in hot weather, and it was water resistant enough to work OK in the kind of intermittent light rain that makes rainsuits over leathers so annoying. But for heavy all-day rain, I bought a rainsuit to put over it.

Rick, search for evaporative cooling vests. I have one and they do indeed work great. It takes it a couple hours to really soak up the water, so when I am touring I carry it already wet, in a big ziplock bag. I pour out some water and add ice at every meal. Especially on days when I'm not wearing it. Because when you have a perfectly comfortable day and don't need it, you don't want it to mildew.

I just searched and here's the first result. Looks a lot like the one I have. $16.32 and eligible for free shipping at Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have never poured water on my LD Comfort shirt or up my sleeves. I also keep the back vent open in every temperature I've ridden in. And I've never gotten a wet crotch. Last summer when I went to Texas and rode in temps above 100F for 2300 of the 2500 miles I rode, I will say that I have never smelled anything worse than the way I smelled when I took my 'Stitch off in a Chili's the night before I got home. People moved away from me and they ended up closing the restaurant about 45 minutes after I got there.

Of course, it was their closing time. But I really, really smelled bad. I've ridden in temps up to 110F.

One of these days, I'm going to try the evaporative vest I've had for two years.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
But I really, really smelled bad. I've ridden in temps up to 110F.
You guys are quite the Ad for a 'stitch...:rolleyes1: I'll stick with my mesh jackets and Draggin Jeans in the summer thank you very much...:D

Dousing a bottle of cold water down your jacket at gas stops helps keep you cooler and might help you guys rinse away some of the Pepe Le Pew effects... Plus if it really cold water the looks you get at the gas station when you yell and jump around as the water runs down are priceless....

Mattb

Here's my new suit! Ignore the un-mowed lawn and barn in disrepair, I'd rather ride. :)

Top Bottom