Aerostich Very Boring Rally 4

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Today was the first day of the Aerostich Very Boring Rally 4 which is much scaled down from the first three events. It is held every 5 years and used to be held at a ski hill where folks could camp at the rally site. This year it is held at the classic old Aerostich factory in town (no camping). They do have some interesting lectures, door prizes, and a couple food vendors in tents set up in vacant lots nearby. And there is a good brewhouse about 200' away.

I didn't see any NTs there, but I did run into TipSTer from the ST forum. My schedule just didn't allow me to hook and ride with him. I'll try to get back there tomorrow for the bar-b-que tomorrow after I go to a PRA shoot. BMWs were the most common, but plenty of V Stroms and FJRs to. Neat bikes all the way from scooters to 2300 Thunderbirds.

I know that Aerostich has to look at the business realities, but a rally just isn't the same without camping.

Attachments

The wife and I were there when they held it at the ski resort, there was an international observed trials event which was really an eye opener for us mere mortals..we (forgive me) Trailered our bikes behind the mini-van and camped on top of the main ski slopes...beautiful area..but we were approached by the people who put it all together that we needed to Move!..I guess they didn't like the color of my tent or the fact that the van and trailer was parked there..I don't know....I told the messenger that if he can find me another spot ( the place was pretty much full)..I will move..or give me my money rally fee..back!...they harassed me for another day and finally gave up ...We enjoyed the rally immensely but vowed never to return..

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
but we were approached by the people who put it all together that we needed to Move!..
Sorry to hear of your troubles. From what I see the event is put on with almost nothing. The use their own staff, who still have their usual work to do, and then recruit lots of volunteers who get not even a T-shirt for their effort, and try to put on a good event. There are some hits and misses. I fully agree that the camping was totally unroganized. Level spots are rare on a ski hill and access is obsturcted with water pipes for the snow-machines laying on top of the ground. The grass is un-mowed, very few signs, and no "out-of-bounds" markers, and no access routes designated. I've seen lots of bikes hit the water pipes on a diagonal (becasue they couldn't see it) and tip over. I helped pick up three bikes before I got my tent set up.

But even with all those difficulties, the riders seem to enjoy the "free-spirit" atmosphere and manage to have a good time anyway. The opserved trials event was just a coincidence - twice!!! Those guys are impressive. I'd have to crawl over the things they rode over. It was very interesting listening to them "tech talk" about their bikes.

Now, since Spirit Mountain has raised their prices, Aerositch did not have the event there. In fact, I heard they almost didn't have it at all because of the expense. So even if it wasn't ideal, I'm glad they had it and glad I went. "TipSTer" from the ST forum, was the only rider there I knew from other ST/NT rallys. TipSTer and I rode some of the same roads today but not at the same time or even in the same direction. There may have been others that I didn't meet. I think the attendence was about 300 riders.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We went to the VBR 2. Had a blast. Really enjoyed the Trials competition. Never seen that before, it was pretty cool. Got a really good camp spot, met a lot of people, bought some cool things, including a new Roadcrafter. Met Mr Goldfine while at the factory. I pleaded with him for a suit with pink ballistics, he flat out rejected that. I see now that its an option..... ggrrrrrrrrrr......

Oh well. Had fun and even won the Lilliput Put Put Award for riding the smallest bike to the Rally..... 2005 Honda Rebel, all the way from WA via John Day, Yellowstone & Beartooth Pass.

Hope they can once again have sometime like that. Didn't know it was going to be a scaled down event this time.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Oh well. Had fun and even won the Lilliput Put Put Award for riding the smallest bike to the Rally..... 2005 Honda Rebel, all the way from WA via John Day, Yellowstone & Beartooth Pass.

Hope they can once again have sometime like that. Didn't know it was going to be a scaled down event this time.
I remember that!!! I was there on my Concours 1000 that year. There was another guy there who would have beat you, but he blew up his engine out west somewhere and bought a brand new Bandit to make it to the rally. I believe that guy got an award for the newest bike (or at least the best story to tell his wife about why he got a new motorcycle).

I too, hope they reinstate the campout type rally. But it doesn't look like the economics will allow that. We'll have to wait and see.

The wife and I were there when they held it at the ski resort, there was an international observed trials event which was really an eye opener for us mere mortals..we (forgive me) Trailered our bikes behind the mini-van and camped on top of the main ski slopes...beautiful area..but we were approached by the people who put it all together that we needed to Move!..I guess they didn't like the color of my tent or the fact that the van and trailer was parked there..I don't know....I told the messenger that if he can find me another spot ( the place was pretty much full)..I will move..or give me my money rally fee..back!...they harassed me for another day and finally gave up ...We enjoyed the rally immensely but vowed never to return..
posted this back in August 2018...Things have changed by now

Top Bottom