Affordable, solid yellow, Hi-Viz helmets a thing of the past ??

ett

I swear by, and have been wearing, solid colored hi-viz yellow helmets for over a decade.
I usually replace helmets every 3 or 4 years.
I was due to replace my AFX FX-99 solid colored hi-viz yellow helmet at the start of the plandemic.
BUT I noticed that AFX helmets seemed to drop off the face of the Earth.
So I put off replacing.
Well my current AFX FX-99 (FX-95 replacement model) is now 8 years old !
So it's time to replace my solid colored hi-viz yellow AFX FX-99 helmet.
And I'm finding that Arai appears to be making solid colored hi-viz yellow helmets. For a cost of $750 !

Back in 2010 I had the misfortune of wasting two hi-viz yellow Arai RX-Q helmets in a two week span.
First I crashed on the track. My first racing crash in 20+ years. :(
I replaced that $450 Arai with a new one.
And within two days after receiving the new one; I had a collision with a deer on the street.
Wasting the 2nd $450 Arai.
After wasting nearly $1,000 of helmets in a two week span. I said enough. I will never again spend $$$ for a helmet.
That's when I stumbled upon the AFX solid colored hi-viz yellow helmets at a cost of just under $100; with both DOT and ECE ratings.

There is no way I am spending $750 for a helmet.
So I may have to go back to wearing solid white helmets or graphical helmets that have some hi-viz yellow incorporated in to their design.

But just out of curiosity.
What would be everyone's speculation as to why solid colored hi-viz yellow helmets are now only made by ultra expensive Aria ?

Thanks;
--ET

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nolan still makes a modular helmet in the 100-5 series in hi-viz. The Nolan is an excellent high quality helmet with a huge view port. The 100-5 is around $350-$425. Revzilla, Dennis Kirk and JP Cycles all sell the Nolan line. The US distributor for Nolan is retiring and I don't know who Nolan will use in the future. My last Nolan was purchased from Motocard in Spain. Very competitive pricing, free shipping, free exchanges and fast service plus they had a much better selection of colors and sizes than the US distributors. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: ett

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
It appears the choices in AFX are indeed few, but I did find this in an HJC high-viz at MotorcycleGear.com

HJC C91 Helmet in High-viz & Black

Their "all brands" helmets tab will get you to dozens of pages so I limited my effort to the helmet brand that I wear.

Years ago I thought about yellow but opted for a compromise in white. And in terms of fit, I must have an "HJC head," because those helmets fit me more comfortably than anything else. My mesh jacket is a Bilt black with high-viz panels.

So for me it's a white helmet, with the addition of high-viz stickers. The stickers take the form of an AdvRider triangle, and some white DOT tape.

FWIW

Attachments

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
A few years ago I was riding with a group of friends. Some were wearing the white helmets and a couple of others had on the high viz yellow. I was riding in the back of the pack. I could see the white helmet riders better than the High Viz riders. To my eye the white shows up better than the Hi Viz. The Hi Viz tended to blend in with the background a bit to much at distance. With that said I own two white and one Hi Viz helmit. All being HJC

OP
OP
ett

ett

A few years ago I was riding with a group of friends. Some were wearing the white helmets and a couple of others had on the high viz yellow. I was riding in the back of the pack. I could see the white helmet riders better than the High Viz riders. To my eye the white shows up better than the Hi Viz. The Hi Viz tended to blend in with the background a bit to much at distance. With that said I own two white and one Hi Viz helmit. All being HJC
Now that is very interesting.
When I switched from solid white helmets to solid hi-viz helmets; I noticed a reduction in the number of cars drivers pulling out in front of me.

OP
OP
ett

ett

It appears the choices in AFX are indeed few, but I did find this in an HJC high-viz at MotorcycleGear.com

HJC C91 Helmet in High-viz & Black

Their "all brands" helmets tab will get you to dozens of pages so I limited my effort to the helmet brand that I wear.

Years ago I thought about yellow but opted for a compromise in white. And in terms of fit, I must have an "HJC head," because those helmets fit me more comfortably than anything else. My mesh jacket is a Bilt black with high-viz panels.

So for me it's a white helmet, with the addition of high-viz stickers. The stickers take the form of an AdvRider triangle, and some white DOT tape.

FWIW
Aw man. That link got my hopes up. ;)
I went to it, did some searching, found solid colored AFX FX-99 helmets, and clicked on the "View Larger Images".
And WOW ! It showed both Neon Orange and Neon Yellow colored options.

I thought "How is that possible ? AFX's 2023 catalog only shows the FX-99 as made in Wine Red, Silver, White, Grey, and Black. And that's all I found online."
I then tried to make a selection. And the only selections are the colors that are found in AFX's catalog.
Website must simply have failed to completely update this helmet's description images.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yes, My Hi Viz has faded and is more white than Hi Viz now. HJC Symax III. But more comfortable than the new I-100 HJC that I just bought.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
HJC changed the fit of their helmets a few years ago. You do need to try them on rather than buy what you got before.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
off topic:
methinks that high-viz is generally highly overrated...

Guess how many BD cagers try to plow right into me while riding this:

IMG_20230701_091745.jpg

And: take a glimpse at my avatar; wearing a Borealis helmet or high-viz jacket wouldn't change anything of my frontal impression...

Folks won't see you, fact, simply because you are not what they're looking out for: a car...
Hence their brain won't process you at all... at max they're outraged over you appearing "out of nowhere" and claim you are at fault for approaching them at astronomical speeds...

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Movement is what the eye sees. An oncoming motorcycle looks as if it is not moving so the eye does not see it. It is important to move the bike side to side to catch the cagers attention. I have seen this on long straight stretches of road in eastern Colorado and western Texas, the on coming cager sees a "something" on the road and gets target fixation, and starts to drift to the center line. By moving the bike back and forth in my lane the cage recognizes me, as an oncoming vehicle and moves back in the center of their lane.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Have made eye contact with folks that still pull out in front of me. They seem to think you are small=slow.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
off topic:
methinks that high-viz is generally highly overrated...

Guess how many BD cagers try to plow right into me while riding this:

IMG_20230701_091745.jpg

And: take a glimpse at my avatar; wearing a Borealis helmet or high-viz jacket wouldn't change anything of my frontal impression...

Folks won't see you, fact, simply because you are not what they're looking out for: a car...
Hence their brain won't process you at all... at max they're outraged over you appearing "out of nowhere" and claim you are at fault for approaching them at astronomical speeds...
Visibility aside, I rather like the color combo. If something like that was available on this side of the pond, I think I would buy it.

Mike

OP
OP
ett

ett

Have made eye contact with folks that still pull out in front of me. They seem to think you are small=slow.
Do you also beep your horn when making eye contact ?

I'm rather religious in using my horn when I encounter a driver that is about to violate my right-of-way.
That has caused many drivers to stop mid maneuver.

OP
OP
ett

ett

Op here,

Thanks for the replies !

Looks like the only options for a new helmet, in my price range of sub $150, that are currently available are:

AFX FX-99 solid white:
afx_fx-99_white.jpg
While not solid yellow hi-viz; I've been using/wearing similar model; FX-95; in hi-viz yellow for years. So quite familiar with fit and features; and could settle for solid white.

Scorpion EXO-R320 Hudson:
scorpion_exo_r320_full_face_helmet_hudson_hi_vis_750x750.jpg
While not a solid yellow hi-viz color. It has much more hi-viz yellow on it than any of the other offerings, in my price range, that are currently available.
So gonna try and find a local dealer than has EXO-R320's; of any color design; in stock.
If I can find one, am satisfied with fit, features, and quality. I'll see if that dealer can order me a EXO-R320 Hudson in my size.
Otherwise I'll probably just order the AFX FX-99 solid white online.

Got a paycheck or two to make my decision.

Hope I won't be just a cheap, lazy bastard and just keep wearing my current, 8-year old, AFX hi-viz FX-95 for another 8 years. ;)

-ET

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Movement is what the eye sees. An oncoming motorcycle looks as if it is not moving so the eye does not see it. It is important to move the bike side to side to catch the cagers attention. I have seen this on long straight stretches of road in eastern Colorado and western Texas, the on coming cager sees a "something" on the road and gets target fixation, and starts to drift to the center line. By moving the bike back and forth in my lane the cage recognizes me, as an oncoming vehicle and moves back in the center of their lane.
I saw a video about the weaving within your lane to make yourself more visible on the UK Deauville forum years ago. They called it the SIAM maneuver "See I'm A Motorcycle". A safety organization in the UK did a study using the SIAM manuever and found that by doing so, you increased your visibility to other motorists by 60%. Since then, I have tried to adopt the practice....... when I remember to do so <sigh>.....

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I'm always moving around. I have yellow covers on my front aux lights. I have flashing lights in my top box and hyperlites as well both have running/brake/signal light functions.

Yesterday morning, no one on the expressway but me and a Tesla... as it passed me on the right it slowed and then moved into my lane... LOL The OEM RT has a horn that is as loud as a car horn. The guy looked in his mirror and was surprised.... He exited further down and I looked at him and pointed to my eyes to tell him to use his eyes... he still looked surprised...

I don't think the helmet color would have made a difference lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom