Air Bag?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The airbag idea is a sound one and I suppose that, believing as I do in ATGATT, I ought to be more interested than I am. I wonder how they'd do under a zipped 'Stitch. For now, I'll keep on passing on the air bag deal.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The airbag idea is a sound one and I suppose that, believing as I do in ATGATT, I ought to be more interested than I am. I wonder how they'd do under a zipped 'Stitch. For now, I'll keep on passing on the air bag deal.
Phil. This is the first airbag vest I have seen that you wear under a jacket. Not sure how the jacket expands when the vest inflates. I have two airbag vests. A light one for summer and a heavy one for winter. I wear the winter one over my R3 and the summer one over a mesh jacket. In my avatar I am wearing one of them over my black R3. Just like my helmet I would not ride without wearing one. Airbag vests are slowly catching on and more riders are wearing them. When I bought mine they were only available overseas and only two manufactures made them. Today there are more choices and you can get them from Revzilla. I bought my first one after an NT forum member had a serious crash during the Tennessee get together. I am positive the massive injuries he received to his core would have been drastically reduced if he were wearing an airbag vest.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One of the first ones were made by Mugen which is a company owned by Mr Honda's son.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
One of the first ones were made by Mugen which is a company owned by Mr Honda's son.
My summer vest is made by Mugen Denko Co. The brand is Hit Air. It was made in Japan. I think I read that the motorcycle police in Tokyo wear them. I believe the original application for airbag vests was for equestrian riders. As we saw from what happened to Christopher Reeve getting thrown from a horse is not to be taken lightly.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My Hit Air vest is designed to go over your jacket. It flows very little air. The air bag bladder inside the vest has to be airtight to hold air when it expands hence air will not pass through it even when not inflated. In the heat of the summer I usually wear mine over an armored shirt made by Bohn Body Armor.

Top Bottom